Anderson and King

Jim Fainter

I hope that's the case, but it sounds a lot like what I heard about Joe Borchard when he was drafted.  Now the guy is around 25 years old and still can't hit well enough to stay in the bigs.

when do we stop considering joe b a prospect?

Jase, Where did you hear we were only 500K apart with Veal, if that is all we should pay up.

Were less then 500K off. The Sox have an offer of 500 thousand on the table according to BA.

The Sox offered him 500 K during the draft and he turned it down and supposedly they haven't taken that offer away. I don't think they are more then 150 K off, but thats an estimate.

True, but you would still think there would be some out of pocket expenses with tuition that high.

I'm assuming, if I recall he's a very good student and he's one of the top recruits in their class, so I'd be guessing he has very close to a full ride. But thats not too important since having him sign means he doesn't get any type of scholarship other then for grades and if he gets big money I don't see him qualifying for financial aid.

I'm assuming, if I recall he's a very good student and he's one of the top recruits in their class, so I'd be guessing he has very close to a full ride.  But thats not too important since having him sign means he doesn't get any type of scholarship other then for grades and if he gets big money I don't see him qualifying for financial aid.

Very few college players get close to a full ride because of scholarship limits. They usually try and ocmbine athletic funds with other types of grants and aid (financial or academic).

College baseball only has 11.7 scholarships to give for the program. If a team carries 28-30 players, that doesn't leave much left if a couple of guys are on a full ride.

If he signs with the Sox, part of that contract will include money for school if he doesn't make it. If he wants to go right away in the offseason, he'll just negotiate that extra $$ in his signing bonus.