Home repair tips

RockRaines

I wanted an answer to a particular question, but it probably would be helpful for others on the board to share home repair tips etc.

My question is how do I keep my windows particularly the outside of the windows, cleaner longer? It is seriously a pain to keep washing the exterior of my windows, because they seem to get dirty extremely quickly. Anyone have a tip to help me out?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
I wanted an answer to a particular question, but it probably would be helpful for others on the board to share home repair tips etc.

My question is how do I keep my windows particularly the outside of the windows, cleaner longer? It is seriously a pain to keep washing the exterior of my windows, because they seem to get dirty extremely quickly. Anyone have a tip to help me out?

In my power washing business we also did windows for our regular clients. The key to fast, easy, window washing is starting with good equipment. I used Ettore products. I used their window cleaner, it left almost zero streaks. Fill a bucket with about a gallon of water and a couple squirts of the cleaner, note, not reverse, you don't want a lot of suds. There are sleeves that fit on the "T" bar to scrub down the window. After you complete this step, switch to the squeegee and remove the excess water. Wipe down the sill and any drips on the corners with a clean chamois or surgical towel, (lint free) and you are finished. Start to finish on most residential windows should be under 90 seconds. Use an extension pole to reach the high spots, or use a ladder with a spreader bar. I bought my stuff from a dealer, I need sets for 6 workers, but IIRC Home Depot carries their stuff.

On first floor stuff you should squeegee the window without lifting the blade from the glass. Kind of an S pattern.

BTW, most reputable, insured, window guys will charge from $5 to $10 per pane, residential. Lower prices for annual contract work. You can get some great deals from the crack addict with a squeegee. :D

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)

This is a great idea for a thread. Men's Health magazine used to have a monthy section devoted to useful, but little-known tips. One tip I recall from memory is using laundry detergent to remove oil stains in your driveway. IIRC, the directions stated to pour detergent liberally on the oil stains and let bake for hours in the hot summer sun. Hours later, hose off. For the safety of other people and animals, one should never leave area unattended once detergent is applied.

In reference to windows, one tip I didn't believe until I tried it was using glass cleaner on newspaper to clean car windows.

Edited by shoota

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 02:42 PM)
That depends on the newspaper. I tried it once and got ink from the paper all over the place.

Could have been the paper...or more likely user error.

;)

QUOTE(shoota @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 09:41 PM)
This is a great idea for a thread. Men's Health magazine used to have a monthy section devoted to useful, but little-known tips. One tip I recall from memory is using laundry detergent to remove oil stains in your driveway. IIRC, the directions stated to pour detergent liberally on the oil stains and let bake for hours in the hot summer sun. Hours later, hose off. For the safety of other people and animals, one should never leave area unattended once detergent is applied.

In reference to windows, one tip I didn't believe until I tried it was using glass cleaner on newspaper to clean car windows.

Tide w/ Bleach works well. For tougher areas, add water and use a deck brush. Pressure washing to finish is recommended if possible, but a strong hosedown will work.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 11:31 PM)
Tide w/ Bleach works well. For tougher areas, add water and use a deck brush. Pressure washing to finish is recommended if possible, but a strong hosedown will work.

If you are going to use a pressure washer, do not use the "0" degree tip, you will create chicken scratch marks on your driveway. Use the 15 degree as a minimum.