Kirkjian column

YASNY

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Dec 2, 2006 -> 08:06 PM)
One of my biggest frustrations are people who are acting like this off-season is already over, or who are judging trades that have not even been made yet.

I agree with the first part of your comment - it's definitely still early. Obviously, some of the impatience comes from the Cubs spending a lot of money, and the White Sox sitting back early on.

On your 2nd part, we're fans. If there's a rumor that's gaining steam, and is being reported on the Score/LA Times like the Figgins/Santana rumors, I don't have a problem with fans commenting on the rumors.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 2, 2006 -> 08:12 PM)
I agree with the first part of your comment - it's definitely still early. Obviously, some of the impatience comes from the Cubs spending a lot of money, and the White Sox sitting back early on.

On your 2nd part, we're fans. If there's a rumor that's gaining steam, and is being reported on the Score/LA Times like the Figgins/Santana rumors, I don't have a problem with fans commenting on the rumors.

I understand, I am a fan too. I just don't see the point in getting all upset or excited about Eric Chavez, or Ken Griffey Jr., or any other trade rumor which hasn't actually gone down. Especially people who have been on here for a while and have seen all that.

QUOTE(shoota @ Dec 2, 2006 -> 03:57 PM)
Yes, which is why I'm uncomfortable with his lack of quality, agressive deals this offseason (so far).

Boy, you'd be a great Cubs fan.

EDIT: Wait, that's an oxymoron.

Edited by SoxFan1

Kenny was aggressive in a buyers market byacting early. Itis now a sellers market, and probably a wise thing to hold back and take his shot when the time is right. WOuld any of you have cheered had the Sox made any of the signings that the cubs did?

QUOTE(shoota @ Dec 2, 2006 -> 03:57 PM)
Yes, which is why I'm uncomfortable with his lack of quality, agressive deals this offseason (so far).

Patience, my friend. Kenny's sitting in the catbird seat right now. Let him play his ace in the hole when the time is right.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)
Relax. The Winter Meetings haven't even arrived yet. The 2 main free agent pitchers haven't signed yet. KW is actually being wise waiting this out. Teams aren't going to suddenly not need pitching. He has all the cards. When one of the big market teams gets shut out of the Zito/Schmidt sweepstakes, the price for a White Sox starter should skyrocket.

Yeah, I agree we can't criticize KW until he sets the 2007 roster, it's just that his recent actions have given me an unsettling feeling I haven't had before with KW. Here's why I feel that way: his dumbfounded reaction to this offseason's FA prices and cry-poor mentality of complaining to the public how he can't compete in that field; his failure to "seal the deal" on at least two trades he was in discussion with (Rangers and Angels).

If KW's budget doesn't allow him to play the big-time FA game, fine, he needs to accept his tougher situation and make the best of it.

Edited by shoota

QUOTE(shoota @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 11:39 AM)
Yeah, I agree we can't criticize KW until he sets the 2007 roster, it's just that his recent actions have given me an unsettling feeling I haven't had before with KW. Here's why I feel that way: his dumbfounded reaction to this offseason's FA prices and cry-poor mentality of complaining to the public how he can't compete in that field; his failure to "seal the deal" on at least two trades he was in discussion with (Rangers and Angels).

If KW's budget doesn't allow him to play the big-time FA game, fine; he needs to accept his tougher situation and make the best of it.

Cry-poor mentality? I've taken his statements as just the opposite - he's said, FA's are too pricey, we're moving on and looking elsewhere. When did he say he can't compete? When did he say is pushing away from the table?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 2, 2006 -> 07:08 PM)
So would you have liked us to sign Alfonso Soriano to that 8 year deal as an "aggressive" signing?

Most people think he's overrated.

Nowhere in my explanation of why I was uncomfortable with KW's to-date offseason decisions did I criticize him for not signing Soriano.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Dec 2, 2006 -> 10:29 PM)
Boy, you'd be a great Cubs fan.

EDIT: Wait, that's an oxymoron.

I don't understand how that comment would make me fit to be a Cubs fan. :huh:

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 12:07 AM)
Patience, my friend. Kenny's sitting in the catbird seat right now. Let him play his ace in the hole when the time is right.

I hear your point and agree time might up the trade value of Garcia and Vazquez, but I can't help but wonder if the delay hurts their trade values. Looking from another GM's perspective, he knows KW wants to trade one of his starters this offseason, so the other GM might have the leverage in the deal. Granted, that GM does have to compete blind against other GMs in pursuit of one of KW's starters.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 11:42 AM)
Cry-poor mentality? I've taken his statements as just the opposite - he's said, FA's are too pricey, we're moving on and looking elsewhere. When did he say he can't compete? When did he say is pushing away from the table?

That's exactly how I've interpreted his comments about FA too. My cautious feeling towards his offseason decisions were born from his failure to upgrade the team through other avenues.

Edited by shoota

QUOTE(shoota @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 05:39 PM)

If KW's budget doesn't allow him to play the big-time FA game, fine, he needs to accept his tougher situation and make the best of it.

I don't know that it is fair to say KW wasn't able to seal the deal on trades which may or may not have been accurate. Just because they are in print doesn't mean they were on the table. Maybe it was discussed, but that doesn't mean KW failed in some respect because it didn't happen. Besides, after some of these FA pitchers sign, we'll be in a better situation to maximize our trade options.

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 12:09 PM)
I don't know that it is fair to say KW wasn't able to seal the deal on trades which may or may not have been accurate. Just because they are in print doesn't mean they were on the table. Maybe it was discussed, but that doesn't mean KW failed in some respect because it didn't happen. Besides, after some of these FA pitchers sign, we'll be in a better situation to maximize our trade options.

That's reasonable, I can't say with certainty that KW failed to complete a Sox-favored trade with the Rangers or Angels.