AAA rotation

Palehosefan

Has anyone else thought about the possiblities of our AAA rotation? John Danks, Gio Gonzalez, Lance Broadway, Andy Sisco, Charlie Haeger, Carlos Vasquez, Heath Phillips, Gavin Floyd etc would all seem to be in consideration if they fail to make the big league club. I'm assuming Boone Logan and Nick Massett will be in the Sox bullpen, otherwise the AAA bullpen would be loaded as well. Onelli Perez is another name that could end up in the Sox or AAA bullpen.

Knights possibly opening with...

1. Danks

2. Broadway

3. Gonzalez

4. Floyd

5. Sisco

and Vasquez, Haeger, Perez, and possibly Logan in the pen again, that's almost unfair.

This is the most excited I have ever been with our pitching situation, even more so than when we "loaded up" in the 1999-2000 drafts with pitching talent. Even if they lose Floyd as the 5th starter for the Sox, and Massett and Logan in the pen, we still have a ridiculous pitching unit in AAA, and AA would be solid as well.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 03:17 PM)
Has anyone else thought about the possiblities of our AAA rotation? John Danks, Gio Gonzalez, Lance Broadway, Andy Sisco, Charlie Haeger, Carlos Vasquez, Heath Phillips, Gavin Floyd etc would all seem to be in consideration if they fail to make the big league club. I'm assuming Boone Logan and Nick Massett will be in the Sox bullpen, otherwise the AAA bullpen would be loaded as well. Onelli Perez is another name that could end up in the Sox or AAA bullpen.

Knights possibly opening with...

1. Danks

2. Broadway

3. Gonzalez

4. Floyd

5. Sisco

and Vasquez, Haeger, Perez, and possibly Logan in the pen again, that's almost unfair.

This is the most excited I have ever been with our pitching situation, even more so than when we "loaded up" in the 1999-2000 drafts with pitching talent. Even if they lose Floyd as the 5th starter for the Sox, and Massett and Logan in the pen, we still have a ridiculous pitching unit in AAA, and AA would be solid as well.

If Haeger is in AAA, I can almost guarantee he'll be in the starting rotation. Floyd will probably get the #5 slot with the big club, so put Haeger in his spot there in your 5, and I'd agree.

In either case though, assuming we don't trade any of them away, that is one sick AAA starting staff.

Edited by NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 04:10 PM)
Don't forget Heath Phillips.

True. I think there is a good chance Sisco makes the roster for the bullpen as well, so, that would mean Phillips would start in this scenario.

I also think we won't necessarily have all those guys with the organization come April 1. I still get the impression that KW is looking for an OF, and hasn't given up yet.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 04:31 PM)
I'd bet Gio heads to Birmingham because he's very young.

So then, maybe something more like...

Danks

Haeger

Broadway

Phillips

Sisco

With Gio at AA, Floyd in the starting rotation in Chicago. If someone other than Floyd makes the Chicago 5 (like Haeger or Danks, or maybe even Phillips), then those two can be flipped.

But again, I bet not all those arms are still in the system on April 1.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 09:31 AM)
I'd bet Gio heads to Birmingham because he's very young.

That's what I 1st thought when he was acquired as well, but it seems the indications from the Sox tend to indicate that he's probably going to start off the year in Charlotte.

And I mean at his age, and with that HR rate he had last season, that might not improve much at a higher level.

QUOTE(PAUL KONERKO 14 @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 04:53 PM)
I think Haeger should be our 5th starter, he's had a bit of experience in the majors (about 7 innings lol) and I don't think he would do that bad.

It is tempting to have a knuckle-baller up with the major league club. Look at Wakefield, Hawk has mentioned it a few times, but if you can get a quality knuckle-baller he is a bullpen/rotation savior. However, Wakefield is the only one I can think of who has had an impact the last few years, so not counting on CH to come through. If he could, he would be my choice for 5th starter, and let the top prospects develop at their own pace.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 04:47 AM)
That's what I 1st thought when he was acquired as well, but it seems the indications from the Sox tend to indicate that he's probably going to start off the year in Charlotte.

And I mean at his age, and with that HR rate he had last season, that might not improve much at a higher level.

I thought he'd start off at Charlotte too, but If the team wants Sisco working as a starter, there might not be room.

Haeger/Floyd, Danks, Broadway, Phillips, Gio, Sisco. 6 guys, unless we move another starter somewhere.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 6, 2007 -> 04:36 AM)
I thought he'd start off at Charlotte too, but If the team wants Sisco working as a starter, there might not be room.

Haeger/Floyd, Danks, Broadway, Phillips, Gio, Sisco. 6 guys, unless we move another starter somewhere.

Phillips could be shipped off in a deal cos it doesn't seem the Sox are high on him, and Sisco could be the 3rd lefty in the pen, so I think there'll probably be room for Gio in Charlotte if they want.