Umpires

BrandoFan

Umps are screrwing us, big.  Gruzilanek should have been down 1-2 not the other way around.

Yeah I noticed Marte's reaction to that non-called strike. I think he totally lost his focus after that. Did Grudzielanek get his hit on the next pitch? Either way the call affected Marte more than just making the count 2-1.

Yeah I noticed Marte's reaction to that non-called strike.  I think he totally lost his focus after that.  Did Grudzielanek get his hit on the next pitch?  Either way the call affected Marte more than just making the count 2-1.

I do not want to hear about how Marte is Mark Prior of bullpen...he is no better than Koch or Gordon when it really matters. Last season he never wavered under pressure, this season both he and Glover have been beyond disapponinting.

Just like in hitting, there is "stat-padding" in pitching and then there is "clutch". We do not have it, but Twins, A's, Braves and Mariners do.

Even if Valentin misses to the other side of the plate, Gruffcnaklfkjsdlfyesanczlvkhsd would have been out. He'd have had no way around Olivo.

Leave it to Valentin to make the ONLY bad throw that would allow Grufascmdvfjvldk to be safe...of course, Jose probably wasn't expecting the relay throw to be anywhere near him, so he had to recover from the shock before he threw...

Speaking of which (clutch), that was a clutch relay to the plate from Jose that was waaaay too wide.  A big league SS, who has a pretty good arm to begin with, should make that play closer.

Yeah and Carlos should have bent a bit quick picking up the ball from the ivy...would have helped, you know.

Jose's throw was actually better than when he gunned down Miller in Saturday's game, with quicker release and more velocity, but the location wasn't as good and when you pair it with mediocre feed from CLee and G-lanek's speed, the play was very tough to make, watch the replay.

(Speaking of relay throws and catchers blocking the plate....since 1999, between Fordyce, Johnson, Olivo, Alomar and Paul, how many f***ups have there been? Especially against the Yankees with Sirotka pitching, Sox couldn't tag anybody out on makeable plays or even catch the ball, it always went through the wickeds...lol)

the relay throw was fine, good throws by both Lee and Valentin. they simply beat it out.

can't blame the umps either, s*** like that happens all the time.

we lost the game, simple as that. close game and our best reliever in, nothing you can do.

thank you. we simply lost today, that is it, nobody's fault.

are we ever going to give credit for the other team beating us? or are we gonna continually blame the umps and our own players?

we lost, that is it all.

the relay throw was fine, good throws by both Lee and Valentin.  they simply beat it out.

can't blame the umps either, s*** like that happens all the time. 

we lost the game, simple as that.  close game and our best reliever in, nothing you can do.

Very fair assessment, especially considering how bad Sox are at throwing people out in key situations normally.

Lee left 4 on base, Maggs made 4 outs, Crede made 4 outs and Jimenez blew a chance to stick a dagger into then-struggling Zambrano by popping up with Harris at 2nd, zero outs on a 2-1 count in addition to making 2 more outs...Marte gave up a double to Martinez....Olivo, Valentin and Harris (2) missed exta base hits....Zambie got a few crucial calls, we didn't....and that's all she wrote.

Very much in step with the rest of this pathetic season I'd say.

the relay throw was fine, good throws by both Lee and Valentin.  they simply beat it out.

I disagree - the relay from Jose was too far off the plate to the first base side.

If the throw is on line or off to the third base side, Grudzielanek is OUT. Simple as that. It was a great slide that got him in, but if Olivo doesn't have to lunge at him, he's out.

What I DO agree with is that the Cubs just took the win today - that would have been a great play to nail him at home, and sometimes it just doesn't happen. The Cubs really had to have that win, and they got it. 2 out of 3 is a good weekend.

Valentin's throw was a little off. A better throw and he was out, but if you can only manufacture 1 run in 9 innings, chances are you're gonna lose unless you throw a shutout. We forget that this team still sucks even when we're so pissed off because we didnt sweep the cubs. I'm guilty of that. Eventhough i think JM sucks ass as a manager, his s***ty decisions wouldnt matter if they score 3 runs + today.

And Zambrano isnt that f***ing good. I've watched him a few times and i think he sucks. Just so happens our offense does too.

Umps did what they could. Put the blame squarely on the shoulders of MANUEL AND MARTE..... THE TWO f***ING DICKWIPES!!!!!

lmao, okay Manuel is a dickwipe, not Marte though. Damaso has been great for us this year, now if Rick White came into the 8th inning today and gave up those two runs I'd agree w/you. :D

CWSOX45

Yeah I noticed Marte's reaction to that non-called strike.  I think he totally lost his focus after that.  Did Grudzielanek get his hit on the next pitch?  Either way the call affected Marte more than just making the count 2-1.

That pitch from Marte was a strike and there is no doubting it. The Sox also lost a runner on a bad call at 1st base. Umpiring has not been good this year for the Sox.

That pitch from Marte was a strike and there is no doubting it. The Sox also lost a runner on a bad call at 1st base. Umpiring has not been good this year for the Sox.

Ph, s***, I forgot about that one....Maggs was safe but the ump seemed to have made his mind before Maggs even though the bag....the differemce between a bases loaded and 1 out is HUGE....Zambie would have probably folded like a cheap Mexican accordion thereafter...This call was as bad as the one on Crede in Baltimore as far as chaging the complexion of the whole ballgame goes, Carlos Lee might have hit a granny, lol

Tough to be a Sox fan today.

I must say the home plate ump was absolutely horrible today. I hope Wrigley is one of the fields w/those dumb ass cameras, b/c this jag off was off all day. I'm not just saying that b/c I think the Sox got hosed on a dozen balls vs. strikes, but the Cubs did as well.

This guy was f***in' sickening.

I must say the home plate ump was absolutely horrible today. I hope Wrigley is one of the fields w/those dumb ass cameras, b/c this jag off was off all day. I'm not just saying that b/c I think the Sox got hosed on a dozen balls vs. strikes, but the Cubs did as well.

Totally agree. I won't blame the umpire for the loss, but it's hard to have an approach to hitting or pitching when you have no clue where the strike zone is. Two cases in point, when in Colon's first at-bat he got strike called on him that was easily 6 inches off the outer edge. When he went out to pitch the following inning, he kept trying to hit that corner to find out where the edge of the strike zone was. That edge kept changing on Colon and Zambrano all day, so it's no wonder that they both had about as many walks as strikeouts.

Marte, didn't have the same benefit. When out in a tight situation after getting O'Leary and then giving up the gork to Grudhsjkdfhwe; he needed to try and get Martinez to hit his pitch (to get the DP or K). When Marte attacked that outer edge on Martinez he missed with a fastball which was a outside, but then clearly hit the corner with his breaking ball, but that too was called a ball. So Marte on 2-0 had no choice to throw a fastball toward the middle of the plate because, at that moment, the corner wasn't being called. Martinez got a pitch he could drive, and you know the rest.

My point is that the players only desire consistency in how balls and strikes are called. That game was confusing for all of them because it seemed the zone kept moving depending on who was up. Frankly, I'm surprised no one got tossed yesterday for arguing balls and strikes.

Totally agree. I won't blame the umpire for the loss, but it's hard to have an approach to hitting or pitching when you have no clue where the strike zone is. Two cases in point, when in Colon's first at-bat he got strike called on him that was easily 6 inches off the outer edge. When he went out to pitch the following inning, he kept trying to hit that corner to find out where the edge of the strike zone was. That edge kept changing on Colon and Zambrano all day, so it's no wonder that they both had about as many walks as strikeouts.

Marte, didn't have the same benefit. When out in a tight situation after getting O'Leary and then giving up the gork to Grudhsjkdfhwe; he needed to try and get Martinez to hit his pitch (to get the DP or K). When Marte attacked that outer edge on Martinez he missed with a fastball which was a outside, but then clearly hit the corner with his breaking ball, but that too was called a ball. So Marte on 2-0 had no choice to throw a fastball toward the middle of the plate because, at that moment, the corner wasn't being called. Martinez got a pitch he could drive, and you know the rest.

My point is that the players only desire consistency in how balls and strikes are called. That game was confusing for all of them because it seemed the zone kept moving depending on who was up. Frankly, I'm surprised no one got tossed yesterday for arguing balls and strikes.

I disagree. With the exception of a couple of pitches early and the one late on Grudz, I thought he was very consistent.

A perfect throw would have got him. You can't have a perfect throw every time. Give Jose a break. Are you going to b**** about him not making the spectacular play in 8th yesterday? They just beat us. Take it on the chin and move on.

I must say the home plate ump was absolutely horrible today. This guy was f***in' sickening.

My point is that the players only desire consistency in how balls and strikes are called. That game was confusing for all of them because it seemed the zone kept moving depending on who was up.

These post are right on. There is nothing wrong with an umpire having a wider or tighter strike zone. There are umpires who are in essence pithcers umps and some that are hitters umps. The point is that consistency is what is expected by the hitter, the pitcher and the manager. If the ump is consistent nobody argues, but Sunday the ump wasn't consistent and that's what hurt Marte.

Ph, s***, I forgot about that one....Maggs was safe but the ump seemed to have made his mind before Maggs even though the bag....the differemce between a bases loaded and 1 out is HUGE....Zambie would have probably folded like a cheap Mexican accordion thereafter...This call was as bad as the one on Crede in Baltimore as far as chaging the complexion of the whole ballgame goes, Carlos Lee might have hit a granny, lol

Tough to be a Sox fan today.

Dont even remind me of that call on Crede's (Should have been) HR! Everyone that was in the chatroom that game remembers how pissed I was! :angry: