Damaso Marte

Pastime

I have noticed something about Marte - and maybe the major league teams have figured it out as well.

WATCH HIM CAREFULLY - when he throws a fastball, he winds up and his whole body literally flies hard towards home plate. However, when he's throwing a breaking ball, he winds up and his body gently or less quickly, heads towards home plate. He basically winds up and hurls a fastball with his body moving fast, but he lessens his follow-through on his breaking ball and doesn't move as fast.

That's my take. I've seen it all year. I hope Don Cooper has seen it too. How else can you explain the way he's been shelled the last month?

If you don't believe me, just watch him pitch. It's more obvious than anything.

I have noticed something about Marte - and maybe the major league teams have figured it out as well.

WATCH HIM CAREFULLY - when he throws a fastball, he winds up and his whole body literally flies hard towards home plate.  However, when he's throwing a breaking ball, he winds up and his body gently or less quickly, heads towards home plate.  He basically winds up and hurls a fastball with his body moving fast, but he lessens his follow-through on his breaking ball and doesn't move as fast. 

That's my take.  I've seen it all year.  I hope Don Cooper has seen it too.  How else can you explain the way he's been shelled the last month? 

If you don't believe me, just watch him pitch.  It's more obvious than anything.

Pastime, I've also noticed this too. Hopefully Cooper can help Marte correct this problem. Otherwise we'll have one less arm in the pen that can help us in tight games.

CWSOX45

WATCH HIM CAREFULLY - when he throws a fastball, he winds up and his whole body literally flies hard towards home plate.  However, when he's throwing a breaking ball, he winds up and his body gently or less quickly, heads towards home plate.  He basically winds up and hurls a fastball with his body moving fast, but he lessens his follow-through on his breaking ball and doesn't move as fast. 

That's my take.  I've seen it all year.  I hope Don Cooper has seen it too.  How else can you explain the way he's been shelled the last month? 

If you don't believe me, just watch him pitch.  It's more obvious than anything.

Pastime, I've also noticed this too. Hopefully Cooper can help Marte correct this problem. Otherwise we'll have one less arm in the pen that can help us in tight games.

CWSOX45

but maybe he is not a nl pitcher. remember he was a so-so pit in the nl where pitts was ready to cut him before he was traded to the sox.

he made me a believer, however i am still concerns when he enters and there is a runner on base.

Guest Ncorgbl

CWSOX45

but maybe he is not a nl pitcher. remember he was a so-so pit in the nl where pitts was ready to cut him before he was traded to the sox.

he made me a believer, however i am still concerns when he enters and there is a runner on base.

Marte', like Wunsch, should be used sparringly and situationally. It seems that Major League batters figure out that sidearm delivery pretty quickly. His success got him more work, and more work makes for familiarity. In baseball, familiarity breeds offense.

Guest Ncorgbl
marte is the man nevertheless and we return to his previous dominance after he had a few rough outings do not worry and to anyone who would like to not have him  :finger  :finger  :bang

I agree, I've liked him since we got him. Marte' is one of the very few things Williams did right, even though it was by accident.

Guest Ncorgbl
even though it wasn't KWs idea to bring him here i know for sure it was someone else, it just makes him lookgood

Wunsch went down to injury and we needed a lefty out of the pen. Marte' was available.

Wunsch went down to injury and we needed a lefty out of the pen. Marte' was available.

The other corny thing that happened was that we got Ruddy/Edwin Yan in the deal too....a possible future 2Bman/leadoff man for the Sox. He's got incredible speed.

We got Marte and Yan for Guerrier, who has struggled for the Buccos AAA team. I guess we got "redemption" for the Ritchie fiasco.

Marte's delivery is the same as it has always been. Marte has always been better coming in with no runners on than when he inherits runners. The numbers don't lie. But after Sunday, I'm beginning to worry when he's brought in period. Didn't he get lit up in the Giants game that Colon pitched and a game versus the Red Sox :huh: ?

I just saw Guerrier's name in today's paper.  He beat the Rockies AAA team last night 5-1.  8 innings, 5 hits, 3 K's.

The funniest part of it all is that over his last 6 weeks, Guerrier's ERA is close to 2.00 and that he might make the Pirates before Rauch makes the Sox.

15 walks and 50 K's? Not to shabby.