SN Report: Lee for Lidle Heats Up; Rowand to have Surgery

Molto

What do you guys think of this. We acquire Lidle for Lee, then go deal Wrigth, and a prospect as well as Hummell for Colon?

That way we really solidify the rotation with Lidle replacing Wright and Colon stepping in giving us a huge plus.

Me, I'd love it, and its the kind of sequence that would put us over the top. The thing is, I haven't seen the Sox pull 2 moves to solidify a team in a while, lol.

The Angels brought in two pitchers and it was all it took. Colon is better then Sele and I think Lidle is just as good as Appier.

Originally posted by Chisoxfn

What do you guys think of this.  We acquire Lidle for Lee, then go deal Wrigth, and a prospect as well as Hummell for Colon?

That way we really solidify the rotation with Lidle replacing Wright and Colon stepping in giving us a huge plus. 

Me, I'd love it, and its the kind of sequence that would put us over the top.  The thing is, I haven't seen the Sox pull 2 moves to solidify a team in a while, lol.

The Angels brought in two pitchers and it was all it took.  Colon is better then Sele and I think Lidle is just as good as Appier.

my first reaction is if it gets lee out of LF im all for it...however..with the frank thomas situation still not resolved...the Klueless Wonder should tread lightly here...we might end up with niether thomas or lee for DH...

:o

Originally posted by baggio202

What do you guys think of this.  We acquire Lidle for Lee, then go deal Wrigth, and a prospect as well as Hummell for Colon?

Me, I'd love it, and its the kind of sequence that would put us over the top.  The thing is, I haven't seen the Sox pull 2 moves to solidify a team in a while, lol.

The Angels brought in two pitchers and it was all it took.  Colon is better then Sele and I think Lidle is just as good as Appier.

my first reaction is if it gets lee out of LF im all for it...however..with the frank thomas situation still not resolved...the Klueless Wonder should tread lightly here...we might end up with niether thomas or lee for DH...

:o

I think you're giving KW too much credit to even think he's thought this far down the road.

I have mixed opinions on this.

from one point, it is a good deal. after all, if Lee stays (as well as Thomas) Lee will be batting 6-7 in the lineup. Lidle will be our #2/3 guy. who would you rather have a 6-7 hitter or #2/3 pitcher? obviously the pitcher.

HOWEVER, we could do better for a #2 than Lidle. also, Lee is 25 and still very young. will Lee's offensive production for many more years be more valuable than Lidle's performances for 2-3 years?

personally, I wouldn't mind this deal, just try to get some add ins in there. I doubt the A's will give us another guy, because they have the leverage based on Lidle's second half and our need for a starter, but perhaps each team can throw in guys of equal value in that the guys we give up, aren't too valuable to us.

of course I can't think of anything as of this point.

if this deal were to occur, we would HAVE to keep Thomas. if for some reason we don't, we better sign another guy (even a Ruben Sierra if needed).

either way, Liefer goes to left and gets the PT he needs. he won't be great, but he can definitely be a power threat with 30 homers a year.

then we hope Rowand can hold his own in center and decide which one to deal once Borchard is ready.

either way, I think the Sox are gonna have to sign a backup left-handed hitting centerfielder.

I'd rather get someone other then Lidle to come in and be our three.

I only like this move if we acquire Colon or someone else to also step into the rotation.

Also, I am starting to think we may just need to sign a centerfielder as a backup plan.

Its too bad Borchard isn't ready cause we could really use him.

Guest hotsoxchick1

i dont know jas,.. we started off not looking too good and this is a set back ......if things keep going the way they are we arent going to be in any shape to do much of anything this season................ill predict 3rd place at best..............

I think we have a very good lineup and very good depth everywhere but pitching.

If we can land a #1 starter and then another #3 starter then we will be set to compete, even if we have a whole in say left field because we moved Lee.

Borchard isn't terrible neither is Liefer and they may not put up the numbers Lee did, but they will at least put up decent numbers to the fact that we'd be by far and away better off to have extra starting.

This rumor was is getting on my last nerve.

It came up before the season and they would've made the deal already if it was there. Geez, Williams is spotted talking to Beane and this kind of s*** starts.

Jason quit dreaming. They'll get one starter and one only. This isn't a major league team.

Ian...I'm finally getting optimstic again and their you go trying to shoot me back down.

No, I'm just saying this rumor has been around for going on 13-14 months now. If the deal was there, he would've made it. Simple as that.

If they do trade Lee, you just know he'll finally "get it" and start mashing in Oak-Town.

Yea, I also think Thomas will have a much better year in 2003. What some people don't realize is that when some players come back after a long injury such as Thomas, they need some time to get back in the swing of things after being out so long. I dont think many people were expecting tomas to be a realistic MVP candidate in 2000, but I'd say he did fairly well.

I think the big thing that I noticed with Thomas was his main problem was simply reading a pitch. His bat speed was still their and when he made contact he was still ripping the ball.

I think he started seeing the ball better as he adjusted, and even though it took him a while, we saw him have the big September and he kept looking better. I tend to agree he will have a big year.