Hermie's Back

The Ginger Kid

Good to see Hermanson's back is back and he's pitching well...

Linky

Hermanson's comeback looking good for Reds

Joe Kay

Associated Press

Mar. 24, 2007 12:00 AM

SARASOTA, Fla. - It's one of the feel-good stories of the Cincinnati Reds camp: Dustin Hermanson is back from a career-threatening injury, trying to win a job with the team he rooted for as a boy.

One problem: It's not true. The rooting part, that is.

Hermanson grew up in Springfield, Ohio, about an hour's drive from old Riverfront Stadium, and frequently attended games as a youth. He never rooted for a particular player - or team, as it turns out.

advertisement

"Honestly, I couldn't say Cincinnati was my favorite team," Hermanson said Friday, after a workout. "I didn't have a favorite team. I just liked watching baseball."

That all changed when he got to the majors and started pitching against the Reds. His feelings became much more pronounced, though not in the way some might think.

"I hated these guys," he said. "I hate everybody I play against. I hate my best friends when I pitch against them. Honestly, I couldn't stand anybody in a Cincinnati Reds uniform when I was pitching against them. Now, I love everybody that wears one."

There are good reasons to share the love. The Reds are one of the few teams willing to give him a chance to extend his career. And, if it works out, the Reds might be the biggest beneficiaries of all.

Cincinnati could use a closer. Few were better than Hermanson before he got hurt.

The 34-year-old pitcher saved 34 games and had a 2.04 ERA in 2005, helping the Chicago White Sox get to the playoffs and win the World Series. As the season went along, his back began to hurt.

It got worse every time he pitched, but he kept playing because so much was at stake every day. He nearly pitched himself right out of a career.

"We were playing for a World Series," he said. "There was no way I was not going to pitch. That was something that was very tough. I'd throw one day and be sore for the next two. I had a 16-pound girl I couldn't even get out of the crib in the morning, and at night I was pitching against major league hitters."

Doctors examined the back and found an unsettling problem. He had two cracks in a vertebra and instability in the area. It's an injury that has ended careers, and doctors warned him that his might be over as well.

"A couple of times I had people tell me I could have given up," Hermanson said. "It looked like it was turning into a dead end, and I didn't quit."

He went through months of painful rehabilitation to build strength in the back muscles and get the problem under control. He missed most of last season, making six appearances in September.

Hermanson knew the White Sox wouldn't pick up his contract option for $3.65 million - who would, given the uncertainty over his back? So, he headed home to Scottsdale and waited to see how many teams would be interested.

There weren't many takers.

"Pretty much everybody was skeptical of my back," he said. "Cincinnati gave me a chance."

The Reds needed a closer and decided to see whether Hermanson could still pitch. He agreed to a minor league deal on March 1 that will pay him $500,000 if he makes the major league roster.

So far, it's working out.

Hermanson gave up a home run Thursday, the first run he has allowed all spring. He's throwing pain-free and pitching well enough to get into the mix for the closer's role. The last week of spring training will help manager Jerry Narron decide how to go.

Was listening to the Reds game and Brantley (who I hate) was saying how Hermy has more life on his stuff than he had during the World Series year with the Sox. Apparently Dustin is really feeling good and while some of that may have been Brantley-KoolAid, its still nice to hear and I'll be pulling for Dustin.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 03:03 PM)
Was listening to the Reds game and Brantley (who I hate) was saying how Hermy has more life on his stuff than he had during the World Series year with the Sox. Apparently Dustin is really feeling good and while some of that may have been Brantley-KoolAid, its still nice to hear and I'll be pulling for Dustin.

Seeing as Brantley didn't see anything until October he probably wasn't aware that he threw about 20 scoreless innings to start the season. The guy was automatic and filthy until the back kicked up. Good/Great for him a pure class guy that groomed Jenks and got him comfortable to do what he did at the end of the season.