A lot of Sox fans are morons.

Damen

If you go to chisox.com there is a poll asking who our biggest rival is. The leader, with 37%, is the friggin Cubs.

Anyone who thinks the Cubs, an NL team we play 6 times a year, are our biggest rival deserves to be sucker punched by Michael Barret, then body slammed by AJ.

Edited by Damen

QUOTE(Damen @ May 18, 2007 -> 10:22 AM)
If you go to chisox.com there is a poll asking who our biggest rival is. The leader, with 37%, is the friggin Cubs.

Anyone who thinks the Cubs, an NL team we play 6 times a year, are our biggest rival deserves to be sucker punched by Michael Barret, then body slammed by AJ.

Agreed.

it's such a tossup between min/det/cle

The sox have no real rivalry. It's no surprise the # 1 rivalry is voted the cubs.

Only 37% voted cubs compared to 61% for the ALC trio. So that's not as bad as you think.

One thing to note: I am almost 100% sure we are the # 1 rivalry for the Indians,Twins,Tigers and Royals. I'm sure the sox are most hated by all those respective fan bases.

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE(rangercal @ May 18, 2007 -> 10:35 AM)
it's such a tossup between min/det/cle

The sox have no real rivalry. It's no surprise the # 1 rivalry is voted the cubs.

Only 37% voted cubs compared to 51% for the ALC trio. So that's not as bad as you think.

One thing to note: I am almost 100% sure we are the # 1 rivalry for the Indians,Twins,Tigers and Royals. I'm sure the sox are most hated by all those respective fan bases.

We are. The White Sox are everyone in the ALC's biggest rival, and for us it's split amongst them all equally. :D

QUOTE(Damen @ May 18, 2007 -> 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please prove that everyone, specifically the 37% you mentioned, who voted are indeed Sox fans. What makes you think a Cub fan didn't go there to spike the poll just to say "ZOMG, look how obsessed Sox fans are!"?

I could go to their page right now and vote for Marshall to be the fifth starter.

I actually agree with the 37%. I don't obsess over the Cubs like some, and I'll even catch a game occasionally at Wrigley. And our games against DET/MIN/CLE are indeed more important to the season. But I agree that the Cubs are our single biggest rivalry.

:huh

I guess I'm a moron.

Detroit is nowhere near Cleveland and Minnesota, guys. One year does not a rivalry make.

And actually, I would say Minnesota has got to be our biggest rival because they are the only one of the three teams who were in the old AL west (although back then our biggest rival was Oakland - there's still no team I hate as much as the Athletics).

Edited by Hideaway Lights

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ May 18, 2007 -> 10:44 AM)
Detroit is nowhere near Cleveland and Minnesota, guys. One year does not a rivalry make.

some may point to the brawl in 2000, Maggs leaving the south side for Detroit certainly would not hurt the rivalry. I would place them 4th on the list though.

The thing is...they could be switched at any time. Old AL West...Minny. Mid 90's...Indians. Last couple of years...Minny or Detroit. The thing is, though, every year the Cubs series is huge to FANS. I think many of you are thinking like players or members of the organization. And they probably aren't voting.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 18, 2007 -> 10:39 AM)
Please prove that everyone, specifically the 37% you mentioned, who voted are indeed Sox fans. What makes you think a Cub fan didn't go there to spike the poll just to say "ZOMG, look how obsessed Sox fans are!"?

I could go to their page right now and vote for Marshall to be the fifth starter.

It's nearly 40% of those who voted. Yeah there's probably a couple Cubs fans who voted, but let's be honest with ourselves. There's a large contingent of Sox fans who still give a s*** about the cubs for some reason.

Yeah, these intercity games are fun, but if you're going to name our biggest rival, its the team who has passed us by (and in some cases run over us) in August/September almost every year in this decade.

Edited by Damen

We dont have a real rival, it seems like we are the main rival of the Tigers/Twins/Indians but for us we are kind of split among them. Also the Cubs series are always very fun and emotional to play and it gives bragging rights of the city kind of, so I dont mind it.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ May 18, 2007 -> 09:50 AM)
The thing is...they could be switched at any time. Old AL West...Minny. Mid 90's...Indians. Last couple of years...Minny or Detroit. The thing is, though, every year the Cubs series is huge to FANS. I think many of you are thinking like players or members of the organization. And they probably aren't voting.

You nailed it when you capitalized the word FANS. That's what this is all about. Sox FANS biggest rivals are Cub FANS because of the constant antagonism between the two groups in the area. The teams certainly don't consider each other as the biggest rivals, because from a successful season perspective, these games aren't all that important. The FANS make it a rivalry. The players enjoy the atmosphere generated by the FANS, but that's as far as it goes.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 18, 2007 -> 11:04 AM)
You nailed it when you capitalized the word FANS. That's what this is all about. Sox FANS biggest rivals are Cub FANS because of the constant antagonism between the two groups in the area. The teams certainly don't consider each other as the biggest rivals, because from a successful season perspective, these games aren't all that important. The FANS make it a rivalry. The players enjoy the atmosphere generated by the FANS, but that's as far as it goes.

The question is worded like this...

Which teams stands as the White Sox biggest rival?

QUOTE(Damen @ May 18, 2007 -> 10:10 AM)
Right, but that's my point. Fans are retarded.

So far, you've labeled me as a moron, retarded, and that I deserved to be punched. And I am not the only one who sees it this way.

Not makin' a lot of friends.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 18, 2007 -> 09:58 AM)
We dont have a real rival, it seems like we are the main rival of the Tigers/Twins/Indians but for us we are kind of split among them. Also the Cubs series are always very fun and emotional to play and it gives bragging rights of the city kind of, so I dont mind it.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 18, 2007 -> 10:04 AM)

Well put, both of you.

QUOTE(Damen @ May 18, 2007 -> 10:10 AM)
Right, but that's my point. Fans are retarded.

I'll go along with that to a ceratin extent. First, don't limit it to Sox fans. There are plenty (majority?) of moronic Cub fans. Secondly, younger fans that are dealing with the fans rivalry on an every day basis tend to be more emotional about things and more likely to make a statement in polls like this. This is not a criticism of youthful emotion, as I was once an emotional youth. It's just the way things are.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 18, 2007 -> 11:15 AM)
So far, you've labeled me as a moron, retarded, and that I deserved to be punched. And I am not the only one who sees it this way.

Not makin' a lot of friends.

Well put, both of you.

Well, I'm sure you might be able to walk without drooling, but you really think the White Sox, as in the team, not the fans, biggest rival is the Cubs?

QUOTE(Damen @ May 18, 2007 -> 11:24 AM)
Well, I'm sure you might be able to walk without drooling, but you really think the White Sox, as in the team, not the fans, biggest rival is the Cubs?

Im sure the guys on the team consider this season the Tribe/Tigers/Twins all our biggest rivals since all of them are contenders to win the division. But if it wanted the teams opinion the poll would be taken by the team, and obviously its not.

I voted the Twins just because over the last 4-5 years they've been the team that's kicked our ass in the division for the most part. But ya, I don't think anyone should be surprised that most of our fans voted for the Cubs.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 18, 2007 -> 10:36 AM)
I voted the Twins just because over the last 4-5 years they've been the team that's kicked our ass in the division for the most part. But ya, I don't think anyone should be surprised that most of our fans voted for the Cubs.

Most of our fans voted division rivals, but because that was divided among 3 teams, the Cubs came out on top.