Jeremy Reed Struggling in AA

Rex Hudler

After going 5 for 5 tonight, he is now at .463.

Hopefully he will figure out AA pitching soon.

LOL.

I was just about to comment that Jeremy Reed was NOT STRUGGLING. Thanks for the laugh, maybe we'll see Jeremy up in Charlotte soon?!

CWSOX45

LOL.

I was just about to comment that Jeremy Reed was NOT STRUGGLING. Thanks for the laugh, maybe we'll see Jeremy up in Charlotte soon?!

CWSOX45

Hey, let's get the guy to Birmingham first! He still hasn't played at home yet, so I haven't seen him.

LOL.

CWSOX45

Hey, let's get the guy to Birmingham first! He still hasn't played at home yet, so I haven't seen him.

How long until BA/BP/ESPN lemming their way unto his bandwagon? :)

Another aspect of his game that gets overlooked is his Beltran-esque base-running -- he is not blazing fast, but he is an instinctual, high-% runner who not only steals bases, but also scores those precious extra runs, stays out of DPs, etc.

How is his defense? His arm is supposed to be pretty weak for a CF'er, but his value as a LF'er is much less since Carlos Lee is about to break out and we have Maggs in right.

However, if he hits over .330 in that ballpark, Sox will have no choice but to call him up soooner or later.

Reed is unbelievable. He can hit, run, play D and he has great instincts. He has a very good arm in the outfield and he is accurate with his throws. Everytime he's up it seems he gets a hit. and when he doesnt he still gives us quality at bats. he also is a menace on the bases and always seems to take the extra base or steal a bag when its needed. We have all been kidding him on the team that by the time we get back from this road trip he'll be in AAA and that he'll be the first guy ever to play 2 weeks with a team and never get to play a home game with them.

Reed is unbelievable.  He can hit, run, play D and he has great instincts.  He has a very good arm in the outfield and he is accurate with his throws.  Everytime he's up it seems he gets a hit.  and when he doesnt he still gives us quality at bats.  he also is a menace on the bases and always seems to take the extra base or steal a bag when its needed.  We have all been kidding him on the team that by the time we get back from this road trip he'll be in AAA and that he'll be the first guy ever to play 2 weeks with a team and never get to play a home game with them.

That's exactly what we can't have Jim. LOL Tell him so slow down a bit, will ya? We need him for at least a few games at the Met.

By the way, nice job on the trip so far Jim. Keep up the good work. You'll be back in the 'Ham sooner than you can imagine.

Reed is unbelievable.  He can hit, run, play D and he has great instincts.  He has a very good arm in the outfield and he is accurate with his throws.  Everytime he's up it seems he gets a hit.  and when he doesnt he still gives us quality at bats.  he also is a menace on the bases and always seems to take the extra base or steal a bag when its needed.  We have all been kidding him on the team that by the time we get back from this road trip he'll be in AAA and that he'll be the first guy ever to play 2 weeks with a team and never get to play a home game with them.

Much appreciated insider stuff, B.

I am glad he is not overmatched at AA, and frankly I am beyond surprised to hear that his arm is not weak at all...can he really play major league CF in your estimation?

Rex, Is there any chance we see him as a spetember call up?

It's the same situation I alluded to with Neal Cotts. The Sox would not be real smart to call Reed up in September unless they felt he could make a real contribution. The sooner they bring a guy up the sooner his service time clock starts ticking. So a courtesy call up this September means he is eligible for arbitration a year or two earlier than need be and a free agent as well. Big League clubs have to consider this. So unless there is a NEED for Jeremy Reed to make a significant contribution in Chicago, you won't see him this year.

I am glad he is not overmatched at AA, and frankly I am beyind surprise to hear that his arm is not weak at all...can he really play major league CF in your estimation?

His ability to play CF in the Majors seems to be the biggest question about him. I have not seen him play so I can't really offer up an opinion either way. I can say that he has only played 2 or 3 of his 11 games with the Barons in CF to this point. Has played mostly RF.

I am glad he is not overmatched at AA, and frankly I am beyind surprise to hear that his arm is not weak at all...can he really play major league CF in your estimation?

His ability to play CF in the Majors seems to be the biggest question about him. I have not seen him play so I can't really offer up an opinion either way. I can say that he has only played 2 or 3 of his 11 games with the Barons in CF to this point. Has played mostly RF.

One thing is for sure: as far as Sox are concerned, his value is at its highest as a CF'er and it goes down as a RF and even more so as a LF, Maggs and Lee simply have too much power potential at this point, imho.

If Bullard is right about his arm--and I have no reason ro doubt the validity, one would need a strong arm to handle RF--then I can easily see him play in Cell CF; if Maggs/Rowand can handle it, I would expect a more athletic Jeremy to do the same.

Again this is pure speculation on my part, at this point.

How long until BA/BP/ESPN lemming their way unto his bandwagon?  :)

Here is part of your answer.....

From Josh Boyd's Live Chat Friday. I forgot to post this earlier.

Q: Rex from Birmingham, AL asks:

How legit is Jeremy Reed? He is having a monster year, yet can't make the "Moving Onto the Charts" list regarding BA's Top 100 nor was he selected to the Future's Game.

A: Josh Boyd: We like Reed, but he was a college player lighting up a Class A level before his recent promotion. That is no knock, but we're not ready to put him on the Top 100 yet.

Now I am not very firmilar with him, so I have a question. Is he more athetic than everyone on the Sox? Or is Willie or someone else more athletic?

Like it has been said, all of his games so far have been on the road, so I haven't seen him. But from everything I have heard, he is a good athlete. Probably not Michael Jordan, but more than likely more than say Carlos or Maggs.

Thanks for the info Jim!