Story in Dallas Morning News

Rex Hudler

White Sox nab Everett

Rangers deal outfielder for two or three prospects to be named

07/02/2003

By SEAN HORGAN / The Dallas Morning News

ANAHEIM, Calif. – The Rangers couldn't move outfielder Juan Gonzalez last week, but they had no such troubles Tuesday when they sent outfielder Carl Everett and cash to the Chicago White Sox for multiple players to be named.

The Rangers will recoup either two or three young players who will come from a pool of eight players agreed upon by them and the White Sox. General manager John Hart said the trade would be complete by the trade deadline of July 31.

"It will be a combination of pitching and position players," Hart said. "We could go with several combinations, some of which will give us two players and others that will give us three."

Everett, 32, who had to waive his no-trade clause for the deal to happen, wasn't officially informed of the deal until after the game. Everett, hitting .274 with 18 home runs and 51 RBIs in 74 games, was not in the Texas starting lineup Tuesday.

"I'm going to miss these guys," Everett told the Associated Press. "But unfortunately it comes down to the fact that we're not winning. You know how it goes in July.

"I'm going to go there (Chicago) and play the game I always play," he said. "I play hard and I play to win. It feels good that a team like that thinks that I'm one of the missing pieces to their team."

The White Sox also will receive cash from Texas in the form of a percentage of Everett's salary.

Hart said the leading candidate to replace Everett on the Texas roster is minor league outfielder Ryan Ludwick, who through Monday led the Pacific Coast League in extra base hits (43) and ranked second in home runs (17).

"I can't say enough about what Carl did for us this year," Hart said. "It's a very tough trade to make because Carl knows how to play the game."

The deal solidified the Rangers' status as sellers and the White Sox as buyers. It was Chicago's second trade of the day. Earlier Tuesday, it sent three prospects to the New York Mets for second baseman Roberto Alomar.

The Everett deal ends the outfielder's year-and-a-half tenure with the Rangers. They acquired him from the Boston Red Sox on Dec. 13, 2001 for left-handed pitcher Darren Oliver.

Everett had a rocky first year with the team as he struggled to return to form after off-season knee surgery.

He hit .267 with 16 homers and 62 RBIs in 105 games in 2002, but clashed with then-manager Jerry Narron over playing time.

Though he had well-documented problems in Boston with fans, umpires and managers Jimy Williams and Joe Kerrigan, Everett was a model citizen under manager Buck Showalter this year.

In fact, when Showalter talked about possible Texas players who could be moved, the manager said that if he were in a pennant race, Everett would be the player he would seek because of his toughness, versatility and ability to play well in pressurized situations.

"He's meant a lot to this team," Showalter said. "It's going to be tough to say goodbye to Carl. He ranks right up there in the sincerity department about wanting to win."

In talking about the players the Rangers may receive, Showalter said all will be younger than age 25 and should bolster the organization. "It's a good deal. We have a chance to put two and maybe three guys into our system that can really help," he said.

Showalter said he talked to Everett as early as Sunday night about the possibility of a deal.

"The White Sox got a good fit for what their needs are," Showalter said. "He plays three positions and he brings it every day. He's been a rock for us all year."

That's not to say Everett didn't have some interesting moments this year. On April 19, Everett was hit in the head with a cellphone thrown by a fan in the right-field seats in Oakland. He responded by homering off Mark Mulder upon leading off the next inning.

He also was the target of thrown balls by Red Sox fans when the Rangers played Boston at Fenway Park on May 15.

But like other incidents, Everett shrugged it off and played. Now he'll be doing his playing for the resurgent White Sox.

I can't tell what they are getting. From the sounds of it they aren't getting top prospects (Knock on Wood) but you never know.

I'm thinking they will get 3 decent guys, maybe a Hummel and Diaz plus a Meaux or something like that.

Thats me hoping though.

I can't tell what they are getting.  From the sounds of it they aren't getting top prospects (Knock on Wood) but you never know. 

I'm thinking they will get 3 decent guys, maybe a Hummel and Diaz plus a Meaux or something like that. 

Thats me hoping though.

At least, according to this, it's not 3 pitchers like the Chicago sports radio (AM 1000 and The SnORE) is reporting. That could be a good thing..... or :puke

I can't tell what they are getting.  From the sounds of it they aren't getting top prospects (Knock on Wood) but you never know. 

Thats me hoping though.

All of em will be under 25

"It will be a combination of pitching and position players," Hart said. "We could go with several combinations, some of which will give us two players and others that will give us three."

Let's hope the Rangers opt for quantity over quality.

Thats me hoping though.

how old is borchard???

anyways..from what texas is saying everett could be exactly what this team needs..im so tired of dumb ballplayers...be nice have two more guys that play the game the right way

Thats me hoping though.

how old is borchard???

anyways..from what texas is saying everett could be exactly what this team needs..im so tired of dumb ballplayers...be nice have two more guys that play the game the right way

Borchard straight up for Everett doesnt even make sense to me, so I doubt that one of the guys is Borchard.

Borchard and Teixiera on the same team, too good to be true for Rangers fans.

Borchard isn't part of the deal and if he is, its a horrible deal.

f*** yeah cuz i wouldnt trade borchard alone for everett. THERE IS NO WAY Borchard is part of this deal. Its not even a possibility.