still plan in place accorind cowley

chisox2334

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 16, 2007 -> 09:53 PM)
There is nothing this team could have done this offseason to be good enough to compete. Kenny's failure to be able to develop a minor league system, ability to keep signing washed up players and 30 somethings to big extensions, and ability to make a team with 100 million dollars in payroll have more holes than a piece of swiss cheese have killed us before this offseason started.

Well said.

Some of those holes could have been filled if he jacked the payroll up to $130 mill or more. But that's probably not happening.

Is it too late to start the rebuilding plan?

Bob

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 16, 2007 -> 11:05 PM)
Signing Cameron to a short team deal could be the best thing that could happen to this team. As we have said, I don't think Hunter/Rowand/Jones would have put this team over the top, yet it could have really hamstrung this team for the future.

To expand on that a little bit, this is my problem with Williams, at least this off-season. He has completely disrespected all of us. More and more, I'm starting to believe all the big fish talk was COMPLETE crap, and all along the goal was not to get tied into long contracts with aging players, which meant no big FA splash. Not a bad strategy, but the problem I have is that isn't what he told the fans and media. He tried to lead the fans on by getting everyone excited, then cried poor.

I really don't have a problem with the strategy(I wish he sold off some more pieces) but don't treat the fans like 6 years olds, and expect everyone to eat up what you are preaching.

I don't think it was crap. I don't blame KW for not raising his offer for Hunter. The people that do are the same who ripped KW for not overpaying for Colon 4 years ago. How did that work out for LAA. How many wins did Bartolo have the last 2 seasons?

The offer was on the table as Hunter himself admitted and what was KW going to do if he accepted it?

As for Cabrera, the Sox lacked the talent to trade for him. That's KW's fault for having a crappy farm system. But he did spend a lot of time trying to get him.

Bob

I hope the plan is once we are out of it by allstar break we have a firesale. I mean getting rid of everyone possible... Konerko, Cabrera, Crede, Dye, Pierznski if he has value, Jenks, Contreras, Vazquez, and Buehrle.

Obviously, we arent going to be able to unload allll those players, but I would definitely want them all on the market if we arent in contention.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 16, 2007 -> 10:00 PM)
I'll make it short, because a long post really isn't needed, but I just don't how, with a straight face, you can tell me that this Sox squad, along with Rowand, could be in a group with Detroit/Cleveland/New York/Boston/Anaheim. The Sox would at least have to be better than two of those teams, and I just don't see that, not with Contreras/Danks/Floyd making 60% of the starts for this club.

Believe me, I have a straight face right now. And I will reiterate, as this may have gotten lost in the shuffle, if you look at my original post, the hypothetical conditions I laid out included Cabrera not landing on the Indians or Tigers (he did, in the real world) and the Sox landing one of the 5 centerfielders. With regard specifically to the White Sox rotation I will reiterate again, the Sox starters had a better ERA than Detroit's starters last season. That may be difficult for some people at Soxwhining.com to wrap their brains around because anything that doesn't go well for the Sox is greatest abomination ever witnessed in baseball history, while anything that doesn't go well for other teams is discarded after a moment's glance. Sox starters pitched 84 more innings than the Tigers last year and put up an ERA .21 runs better and did so with one of baseball's hitter friendliest parks as home. That is with Contreras having the bad year and with the rookie Danks having a rookie-like year. I believe Contreras will have a better year this year. I believe Danks will improve as players often do better their rookie seasons. Your guesstimates may be different. There is no rational way you can claim that Detroit, on paper, has a clearly better rotation. Maybe Detroit will be better, maybe they will be worse, maybe they will be a lot worse. The did just add a guy who put up a 5.17 ERA in the junior league last year.

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Dec 16, 2007 -> 11:12 PM)
I don't think it was crap. I don't blame KW for not raising his offer for Hunter. The people that do are the same who ripped KW for not overpaying for Colon 4 years ago. How did that work out for LAA. How many wins did Bartolo have the last 2 seasons?

Why wait to see how it turns out later when you can complain now. I believe people simply parrot the same attitude and content of the horses*** they read from meathead sports columnists. They write negative articles and complain about s*** like not overpaying for Colon because all the screaming and flailing apparently draws attention and readers. They are not, however, required to ever write an article that says "I was wrong when I made that retarded assertion as if I was certain. Wow, maybe I should completely change the way I do my job and hold myself accountable for the bs I publish. Or maybe I should just quit, realizing how unqualified I am and how idiotic......

woah, big news here

Sox Swing and Miss Again: Failure to land Fukudome highlights management ineptness

and

Cubs Spend Way Too Much for 4 Uncertain Years of Japanese Import