MLB launches drug investigative unit

YASNY

Seriously...let's keep having the government keep spending money on all this stuff...as well as the war and ignore things like mortgage crisis, unemployment, health insurance, homeless, etc... here in the states. I'm all for it. As long as we keep the God-fearing use of steriods out of these sports markets that will earn billions anyway regardless if they're used or not. Right now all it's turning into is a goddamn witch hunt. MOVE ON!!!! Implement mandatory testing from now on and move the F@#$ on. GODDAMN....is it really necessary to drag all this s*** through the mud?!?

QUOTE(Wanne @ Jan 15, 2008 -> 04:32 PM)
Seriously...let's keep having the government keep spending money on all this stuff...as well as the war and ignore things like mortgage crisis, unemployment, health insurance, homeless, etc... here in the states. I'm all for it. As long as we keep the God-fearing use of steriods out of these sports markets that will earn billions anyway regardless if they're used or not. Right now all it's turning into is a goddamn witch hunt. MOVE ON!!!! Implement mandatory testing from now on and move the F@#$ on. GODDAMN....is it really necessary to drag all this s*** through the mud?!?

How about worrying about the effect of steriods on children? If congress didn't get involved, do you think the IHSA would have passed the random drug testing for the playoffs in Illinois? You may have your issues you think are important but I ythink stopping High School kids from doing steriods is important as well.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jan 15, 2008 -> 09:59 PM)
How about worrying about the effect of steriods on children? If congress didn't get involved, do you think the IHSA would have passed the random drug testing for the playoffs in Illinois? You may have your issues you think are important but I ythink stopping High School kids from doing steriods is important as well.

My rant was directed at these hearings bringing say, Tejada back...or talking to so and so...rehashing testimony...crap like this. I'm not discording the implementation of testing to alleviate it at all levels. I applaud it. Should have been done years ago. Just implement it...have your penalties in place and get on with it is all I'm saying. I'm not seeing the point of dragging all of this testimony crap out.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Jan 16, 2008 -> 12:55 AM)
My rant was directed at these hearings bringing say, Tejada back...or talking to so and so...rehashing testimony...crap like this. I'm not discording the implementation of testing to alleviate it at all levels. I applaud it. Should have been done years ago. Just implement it...have your penalties in place and get on with it is all I'm saying. I'm not seeing the point of dragging all of this testimony crap out.

Because it brings attention to the issue. If not for dragging these out the MLBPA would not have agreed to the drug testing policy and lower level amateur would not institute these testing policies. While I agree the actual testimony and such is mostly irrelevant, it's the attention and bringing out into the open the problems and subsequently putting pressure on the sport to institute the policies that has been the benefit of the hearings. Baseball and subsequently other organizations would not have the policies without this attention.

In addition to Tejada's recent steroid problems, he's now had a family tradegy.

Miguel Tejada's older brother died in a motorcycle accident on Tuesday in the Dominican Republic.

He was already having an awful day, as Congress asked the Justice Department to investigate whether he lied to a house committee investigating steroids in baseball. Tejada received the news while traveling to play in a Dominican Winter League game. He immediately returned home to be with his family.