American Idol - Season 7

retro1983hat

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 09:51 AM)
I did like the kid in the car. I also like the rocker chick on the Harley. She is this year's Gina Glockson. But with more talent.

Glockson seemed awful fake to me. Even if she was in a local "rock" band, she just seemed like a big put-on.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 11:58 AM)
Tonight's the CHAIR SHOW. Where they bring people up the elevator and sit in the chair and say Yes or No.

The homeless kid kind of screwed himself going acapella last night. I liked the guy from Austrailia and the Irish chick.

The dude from Australia is really good.

Yeah that homeless dude was a mess. Now I know why the band couldn't do what he wanted...it was a joke

Yeah, in my opinion them voting this kid off last night just shows how little that show knows about music. This kid has talent, serious talent:

http://www.myspace.com/josiahleming

He's more mellow than I normally go for, but I like him a whole lot. Gee, it would be neat if they let somebody stick around who DOESN'T need a pitch control program in the studio.

He sounds terrible on those myspace songs. He was too much for the show. He had a good schtick in his first audition, but then he just became to emotional. I lost any "connection" and instead got annoyed by his "realness." Give him a guitar or piano and he sounds ok, but his voice isn't anyhere near good enough compared to the rest of the group. And how does someone living in a car have the internet/recording equipment?

I think the biggest surprise for me was Simon wanting that kid with the glasses to "get a shot." He hated that bird-looking dude Kevin last season because he was too nerdy, this kid was the exact same.

My favorites: the irish chick - great voice and she could be hot all dolled up - and the 16 year old kid - though he needs to stop saying thank you so much.

The Irish chick has already been signed to a label, and dropped.

Which 16 year old? David Archelleta? The car kid bugged you, but this kid doesn't? Remember though, whatever you see on camera is just what the producers decided to exploit. Yeah, that Josiah kid cried, but I am betting no more than anybody else. The producers probably just chose that angle to go with on him.

I agree with the politician kid. No idea what Simon saw in him. He was decent for a Broadway type of thing, or a Christian Music singer (my wife who likes a bunch of Christian Rock agreed with that one), but nothing like what they want.

Though Josiah might not be what they are looking for, that is far from a bad thing, IMO. For the most part the producers are looking for somebody with a little personality that they can mold into their own creation. Even the "edgier" winners and top 10 folks are all "safe" versions of something else. Bo Byce might be an example of them being open minded, but there are a million Bo's out there, and a good number of them much more "outside" the box than he is. Same goes for Daughtry. They are a major labels idea of what "Rock" is.

If a "Rocker" ever refers to themselves as a "Rocker", then that is precisely what they are NOT.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Feb 14, 2008 -> 01:30 PM)
I think they dumped Josiah because he might have some serious issues that the show does not want to deal with.

Meh, could be. But you would think that would be just the thing they wanted for exploitation purposes. I have yet to see AI actually do anything in the people's best interest.

I agree on that guy Josiah being different, something AI needs, but he couldn't back it up. Yeah he's got this terrible story and he's inspirational and yada yada - fact is when he told the band to leave and he sang Stand By Me "as [he] hears it in his head" it was terrible. Beyond terrible. I can give you as much tears as you want as to why I love baseball and should be playing for the White Sox, but the fact is i'm 26, out of shape, and would probably go 0/20 against MLB pitching. Who wants to see that?

The 16 year old has a great, great voice. I didn't catch his story, so I dunno if he's also playing the sad story line too, but either way he's got some skill.

Does anyone know why the irish chick got dropped?

She sold, roughly, 350 CD's.

See, this is where we get into a difference in taste. I thought Josiah could back himself up quite well. I didn't think his "Stand By Me" was terrible. Might not have been brilliant, but it wasn't terrible and I could actually see it being a pretty good version with some work. He also has a ton of personality in his voice. No, he isn't a "singer", he's a vocalist. He relies more on style. But this is my preference in most cases. The times when you get both the techincal and the style is the rarity, and I have yet to see that anywhere near that show.

Hey, but obviously the judges and producers of AI are more in your mind, which is cool. Personally I am thrilled that the kid got booted. I think that was the best thing for him for his future. If he had gone too far he would have been sucked into the system and messed up. This was he stays indie, hopefully, and grows on his own, without the corruption of major labels.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 08:54 AM)
The guys went last night. It was "Aiigght." My favorite was the guy with the guitar. Mostly they were all forgetable.

Lol, ok Simon. No I agree though, most were pretty weird and odd. Too many slow songs with no emotion. Too many terrible Elvis songs. It was the first show though, hopefully they'll get better. I think the moment I'll remember is Simon calling the Peter Frampton look-a-like "pale" and in need of some sun.

Also I thought the judges, especially Simon and Paula, sorta got ridiculous. I mean its funny when they go after each other, but Paula, as usual, was making no sense, and Simon, as usual, was being an ass, but the producers let them go for WAY too long. It was borderline annoying. Perhaps thats what they needed to fill 2 hours.

Oh and I think it's bad how obvious the judges are with who they want to win. At least Paula likes everyone it seems like. But Simon has it clear who he wants to win: the sixteen year old or the auzzie. I thought the 16 year old sounds good (though his "thank you's" are REALLY annoying and over the top) but the auzzie's Doors cover was TERRIBLE. You simply cannot cover Morrison like a hack, which is how he sounded. And yet for some reason Simon loved it.

I hate that I love this show. :angry:

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 11:50 AM)
Lol, ok Simon. No I agree though, most were pretty weird and odd. Too many slow songs with no emotion. Too many terrible Elvis songs. It was the first show though, hopefully they'll get better. I think the moment I'll remember is Simon calling the Peter Frampton look-a-like "pale" and in need of some sun.

Also I thought the judges, especially Simon and Paula, sorta got ridiculous. I mean its funny when they go after each other, but Paula, as usual, was making no sense, and Simon, as usual, was being an ass, but the producers let them go for WAY too long. It was borderline annoying. Perhaps thats what they needed to fill 2 hours.

Oh and I think it's bad how obvious the judges are with who they want to win. At least Paula likes everyone it seems like. But Simon has it clear who he wants to win: the sixteen year old or the auzzie. I thought the 16 year old sounds good (though his "thank you's" are REALLY annoying and over the top) but the auzzie's Doors cover was TERRIBLE. You simply cannot cover Morrison like a hack, which is how he sounded. And yet for some reason Simon loved it.

I hate that I love this show. :angry:

:lol:

I like it if only for the entertainment value. I find myself agreeing or saying damn near everything Simon says, except the Doors cover, that wasn't nearly as good as it was made out to be.

Paula was very obviously struggling last night to be coherent. She looked absolutely worn out.

Thank the Lord people here agree with me on the Doors cover!!! People are loving that dang thing. I am not a Doors fan at all, but that was pathetic. Morrison has obviously been dead a LONG time if people think that was a good version of something he did. If people think that twit Michael Johns is a natural "Rock Star", then I understand why it has been so long since anybody actually deserved to be called a "Rock Star". This world has simply forgotten.

I love it when they attack the contestants for poor song choices. Do you think Simon and gang know that they only have 50 songs to pick from??? We heard 12 of those songs last night, and I can tell you there is no way in hell I would have chosen ANY of those songs. If I was going to do one of them, I would have rearranged the heck out of it. "Moon River"??? Yeah, I'd do it, but it would also be a blast of Hardcore circa 1982.

Who the hell gives people "Moon River" as song choice and then beats them up for it. Talk about a set-up.

I guess I like being pissed off, it's the only thing that can explain my continually going back and watching that complete crapfest of a show. Heck, I guess maybe I enjoy it for the "stupid TV" factor. It sure doesn't know crap about quality music.

AAAARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!

What about the dude that covered So Happy Together. The judges all seemed shocked to hear it like that. Me First and the Gimmie Gimmie's has a version just like it. It's nothing new...they take old songs and speed em up adding a little punk vibe.

Paula is just nuts. Randy too. I can see not wanting to tear a person down like Simon does sometimes, but jesus if somebody sucks...tell them. Stop all the BS. I loved Simon messing with Paula with her 'your so colorful' comments. Cause it was true...the dude did a bad job and you have to talk about him hacing so many colors??? WTF

Agreed. I was bored and found myself watching more of the Suns/Lakers game than Idol. I think I was with Simon the whole night - they were all bleh and nobody had a "wow" performance. Anyone else find the asian chick hot? I dunno what it is. Some angles she looks real good.

I found it interesting too that on both nights they weren't hiding the backgrounds of all these folks like the article above led you to believe. Most admitted to their previous lives as signed artists or backups or whatever.