Sox payroll

Mr. Showtime

I see all these comments about the Sox spending money and such. Their payroll is going to be 45 million.

So you have:

Foulke at 6

Magglio at 9

Jose at 5

Konerko at 6 or 7

Lee at 4

So you have 31 or so million in 5 guys. Which leaves 14 million for 20 other guys.

Yikes. They have to get creative.

That would mean we could about $10 million still....if Lee would be part of the Colon package then that would leave us at about $8 million left. And if Thomas returns and we give him $4-5 million, that would leave us at about $3-4 million. Say Wright and Liefer go in the Colon deal too. Both will probably get raises of about $25,000 this year, so there isn't much there. If we bring up two minor leaguers, they would probably get league minimum.

I would have to agree that we'd need to get creative to get another pitcher.....maybe. Say we give $38 million to Maggs, Foulke, Colon, Konerko, Thomas, and Valentin...then we sign Jamie Moyer to a 1-year $6.5 million deal with a team option for a 2nd year. That puts us at $43.5 million. We then sign Buehrle to a 5-year $40 million deal starting at $5 million a year. That would put us at $48.5 million. Marte's going to want a raise...probably about $1 million a year. Osuna makes some money....I suggest we trade him and just get someone....we would be dumping salary, which saves us about $2.5 million. At the moment we would be at about $49.5 million among 9 players...that is about $366,666 per player then. If we get rid of Ritchie, that would be a beautiful thing. He is making $3.5 million a year....that would bring down the payroll $3.5 mil. That would bring it down to $46 million, or roughly $600,000 for the remaining 15 players on the average. That seems about right.

Of course, maybe JR will also just say hey...whats another couple million bucks. I still think their is a way that the Sox can land Colon or another higher paid pitcher, if their wasn't, then I don't believe the rumors would of started.

KW not be great, but he typically doesn't lead people the wrong way and make up stuff.

Originally posted by witesoxfan

That would mean we could about $10 million still....if Lee would be part of the Colon package then that would leave us at about $8 million left.  And if Thomas returns and we give him $4-5 million, that would leave us at about $3-4 million.  Say Wright and Liefer go in the Colon deal too.  Both will probably get raises of about $25,000 this year, so there isn't much there.  If we bring up two minor leaguers, they would probably get league minimum.

I would have to agree that we'd need to get creative to get another pitcher.....maybe.  Say we give $38 million to Maggs, Foulke, Colon, Konerko, Thomas, and Valentin...then we sign Jamie Moyer to a 1-year $6.5 million deal with a team option for a 2nd year.  That puts us at $43.5 million.  We then sign Buehrle to a 5-year $40 million deal starting at $5 million a year. That would put us at $48.5 million.  Marte's going to want a raise...probably about $1 million a year.  Osuna makes some money....I suggest we trade him and just get someone....we would be dumping salary, which saves us about $2.5 million.  At the moment we would be at about $49.5 million among 9 players...that is about $366,666 per player then.  If we get rid of Ritchie, that would be a beautiful thing.  He is making $3.5 million a year....that would bring down the payroll $3.5 mil.  That would bring it down to $46 million, or roughly $600,000 for the remaining 15 players on the average.  That seems about right.

How many times do I have to say that Buehrle doesn't deserve that money yet.

Sign him to a 3 year deal worth about 12 million and then work something out with him later on.

Looking at guys at his current status (Zito, Pujols), Buehrle deserves around $4 million a season right now and nothing more.

If he isn't pleased with that, then he can give us 3 more seasons and take a hike.

Guest hotsoxchick1

ok well heres the reson why i think we need to lock up buehrle now..........lets just say.. mark has another season like last season...19 wins... ok.... now he comes up abritration eligable.... he is going to ask for a good amount of cash.... kw decides its too much and says no... mark goes to arbritration.... he not only gets the cash he was looking for but a bit more because of his stats and such... they will compare him to what guys are making with similar numbers.... not only does it cost us more in the long run but it will also cost us the loyality thing.... mark will make his money and then shop around to some team which will pay him and treat him better off than what hes getting here.....i think it better to find a figure now that is good for both sides and lock him up before it has to get to an arbritration point later on .........he is the only sure thing we have right now.... why not show him we need him more than he needs us... keep in his good graces and he will be less tempted to move on to a team like st louis or elsewhere where......... does that make any sense????

Originally posted by hotsoxchick1

ok well heres the reson why i think we need to lock up buehrle now..........lets just say.. mark has another season like last season...19 wins... ok.... now he comes up abritration eligable.... he is going to ask for a good amount of cash.... kw decides its too much and says no... mark goes to arbritration.... he not only gets the cash he was looking for but a bit more because of his stats and such... they will compare him to what guys are making with similar numbers.... not only does it cost us more in the long run but it will also cost us the loyality thing.... mark will make his money and then shop around to some team which will pay him and treat him better off than what hes getting here.....i think it better to find a figure now that is good for both sides and lock him up before it has to get to an arbritration point later on .........he is the only sure thing we have right now.... why not show him we need him more than he needs us... keep in his good graces and he will be less tempted to move on to a team like st louis or elsewhere where......... does that  make any sense????

Definatly!:headbang

Guest hotsoxchick1

well im glad someone else besides me understands that.... i think i should have kw's job.. hell i would even do it for less than half of what he makes... maye even for free if the little side benefits come along with the position :D

well im glad someone else besides me understands that.... i think i should have kw's job.. hell i would even do it for less than half of what he makes... maye even for free if the little side benefits come along with the position :D

Like what? Time alone with Maggs every day? LOL!

At least we know you want the Sox to win more than anything else. If I ever win that lottery in Spain (El Gordo) that is the world's richest, then I buy the Sox and hire you!

Guest hotsoxchick1

hey if you can win this team away from the clutches of the evil kw and jr i would gladly work for you for free................use my salary to buy a great starter..........