North v South

Texsox

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 01:53 PM)
I think racism is just as pervasive in the North as in the South. It just manifests itself differently in different places.

I can guess how the rest of this thread ends up, but being one of the bi-coastal soxtalkers (grew up in Texas, live in PA)... The only difference that I've seen between the north and the south is the way race is handled socially.

In Pennsylvania, you don't talk about race. You don't dare have conversations about it or raise questions. Segregation via neighborhoods, etc Northerners bottle up the racism, because people have little exposure to diversity.

In Texas it's just there, in your face. You can't avoid it. Southerners either embrace the racial divide or completely smash it down.

Those are generalizations, but that's the way I see it. The more you talk about it and the less it's "a big deal"...the less it's a big deal.

From my time in Texas, I have always been the first person to reach out and befriend the "different" race in a public/work setting. Growing up in PA, that would not be the same case.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't exactly understand what the point or what this thread is trying to prove. I've been all over America and I felt racism in the North and South. What really should be compared is the difference between big cities/big towns vs small cities/small towns. Me personally, being half middle eastern, I've noticed and have been uncomfortable in the smaller cities/small towns by obvious racist individuals. I guess the south gets the bias of having more of those small towns etc. but they are everywhere.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 04:04 PM)
I don't exactly understand what the point or what this thread is trying to prove.

It was actually started in the Dem primary when someone felt that the south was more racist then the north. These were detracting from the primary thread and someone make a new thread.