Who would you drop?

BobDylan

When Kazmir comes off the DL, I'm going to have to drop a pitcher. I can't decide. Right now my pitching staff is struggling. In terms of points (roto) I have 3.5/10 points for W, 7 for S, 5 for K, 3 for ERA, 2 for WHIP. I'm pretty far behind the leader in all categories except wins. Already 8 back in saves.

My staff looks like this:

Smoltz, Blanton, Weaver, Ol. Perez, Meche, M. Rivera, Hoffman, Ch. Cordero, Brian Wilson, Kazmir (DL).

Feel like the smart drop is between Wilson and Meche. For some reason I want to drop Blanton but I don't think I have the guts. If I keep Wilson and Cordero rebounds, I feel like I can be right up there in saves (if Wilson keeps his job). ERA and WHIP are really killing the team as a whole. Weaver, Smoltz and Rivera are the only three with respectable numbers in WHIP.

I might also consider packaging Weaver/Blanton, Weaver/Perez, Blanton/Perez and get a more balanced starter. But it might take a fool to get that done. Taking WHIP into account, Blanton/Perez is the group I want to get rid of. I don't think I could pawn off Meche on anyone right now.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 02:20 AM)
I'd pawn off Smoltz, Rivera or Hoffman on someone who's still living in 1998.

No... Smoltz and Rivera are still producing and Hoffman would be a fire sale.

Depends on the size of the league (is it roto?), but I wouldn't miss Meche or Blanton much. Low-strikeout pitchers, and I still don't trust Meche, good year or not.

Try a package swap, or you could try to trade for a better pitcher who's injured, someone you can stash on the DL -- Meche or Blanton for Pedro (who'll be out for a while), Wilson for Rafael Soriano. Maybe even Cordero for Soriano -- depends how worried you are about his velocity. And then if you can't get a good trade, I'd drop Meche, personally.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 07:29 AM)
No... Smoltz and Rivera are still producing and Hoffman would be a fire sale.

Depends on the size of the league (is it roto?), but I wouldn't miss Meche or Blanton much. Low-strikeout pitchers, and I still don't trust Meche, good year or not.

Try a package swap, or you could try to trade for a better pitcher who's injured, someone you can stash on the DL -- Meche or Blanton for Pedro (who'll be out for a while), Wilson for Rafael Soriano. Maybe even Cordero for Soriano -- depends how worried you are about his velocity. And then if you can't get a good trade, I'd drop Meche, personally.

I like your ideas. I went ahead and offered Wilson for Soriano, though I don't figure that one to go through. The owner of that team is pretty smart. And Blanton and Meche for Lackey.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 04:51 PM)
Exactly why it's time to trade them.

If you believe this is finally the year those two fall off a cliff, okay. Smoltz has shown no signs of slowing down, and Rivera, for all his inconsistency last year, was still solid overall (with a good k rate, to boot). Sure, if anyone actually thought Rivera was as great as he was 10 years ago, you could do well trading him. But noone thinks that anymore, and that's why he was drafted closer to the 10th round than the 5th.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 07:05 PM)
I'm saying that if you can trade Smoltz and Rivera to someone for Cain and Jenks, you should.

Well, first, that wouldn't solve BD's problem. He needs to open a roster spot. And second, I think those deals would be close to even, not a clear win. Cain, especially, isn't likely to get many wins on that team. And you know I'm a big fan of Cain.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 07:31 PM)
Rivera and Smoltz for a top 5 SP might be a possibility if a gm needs saves.

Yeah, you might be able to do that. But if I'm BD, I don't think I'd make that offer. I don't think the gain in quality is worth the good innings you lose. If those innings are replaced by more Gil Meche -- eh, no thanks.

I understand what you're saying, I think I just expect more out of Smoltz and Rivera than you. I still like my solution better.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 08:59 PM)
Or I can, since you got slammed by starting him tonight. ;)

Yeah, I'm gonna drop him tonight, but not right away, so you'll want to stay up REAL late so you can see it and put in your waiver claim before you forget. You know, otherwise there might be a bunch of moves after that, and you wouldn't even notice it cuz it's on the next screen, and you don't want that, so just get the coffee ready and keep refreshing.

Yer just sore about your big lead vanishing last week. :P

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 10:08 PM)
Yeah, I'm gonna drop him tonight, but not right away, so you'll want to stay up REAL late so you can see it and put in your waiver claim before you forget. You know, otherwise there might be a bunch of moves after that, and you wouldn't even notice it cuz it's on the next screen, and you don't want that, so just get the coffee ready and keep refreshing.

Yer just sore about your big lead vanishing last week. :P

I'm working 3rd shift tonight. I'll be up. :D

Actually, my pitching is pretty solid, I'd have to decide who to drop.

Plus since I got Cueto, I'm #12 in waivers.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 08:29 PM)
Yeah, you might be able to do that. But if I'm BD, I don't think I'd make that offer. I don't think the gain in quality is worth the good innings you lose. If those innings are replaced by more Gil Meche -- eh, no thanks.

I understand what you're saying, I think I just expect more out of Smoltz and Rivera than you. I still like my solution better.

Smoltz and Rivera aren't going anywhere. Smoltz can put up 200+ K if he finds a way to pitch all year. And though he started the year on the DL, he's pitched 200+ innings the past 3 seasons. Even if I end up with only 180 IP out of Smoltz, I'll be pleased.

I'm also totally fine with Rivera. Especially with the early success he's having this year. Him and Smoltz aren't the one's I need to worry about. It's Hoffman and Cordero.

I'm trying hard to deal off Meche, but he's not getting any innings with my team. If I can't trade him, he's dropped for Kazmir. I'm more than pleased with a 1-2 punch of Smoltz/Kazmir. But, later in the year I'm going to have to consider trading one of them for a more stable horse.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Apr 19, 2008 -> 03:45 PM)
Smoltz and Rivera aren't going anywhere. Smoltz can put up 200+ K if he finds a way to pitch all year. And though he started the year on the DL, he's pitched 200+ innings the past 3 seasons. Even if I end up with only 180 IP out of Smoltz, I'll be pleased.

I'm also totally fine with Rivera. Especially with the early success he's having this year. Him and Smoltz aren't the one's I need to worry about. It's Hoffman and Cordero.

I'm trying hard to deal off Meche, but he's not getting any innings with my team. If I can't trade him, he's dropped for Kazmir. I'm more than pleased with a 1-2 punch of Smoltz/Kazmir. But, later in the year I'm going to have to consider trading one of them for a more stable horse.

Agreed, but I wouldn't just drop Meche for nobody and put in Kazmir. You might as well pick up someone on the dl and stash him. Pedro would be a great one to stash, if you can get him for Meche (doubtful), but even if it's just Prior, what's the harm?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 05:46 PM)
Yup, all your predictions are coming true. Smoltz was washed up the whole time. It's like Liriano a couple years ago. All the geezers. Matt Cain is destroying the league, and man, does Mariano Rivera suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck... :P

Cain and Jenks will be better than Smoltz and Hoffman in 2009, 2010...etc.

Rivera can't stay this successful all season and Cain can't stay this bad his whole career.

I'm saying, when it comes to keeper guys and depth, you go with youth.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 09:12 PM)
Cain and Jenks will be better than Smoltz and Hoffman in 2009, 2010...etc.

Rivera can't stay this successful all season and Cain can't stay this bad his whole career.

I'm saying, when it comes to keeper guys and depth, you go with youth.

Agreed, the rankings change quite a bit when it comes to keepers. I just assume it's a redraft league unless someone specifies that it's a keeper.

Rivera can't stay this successful, and I think (hope?) Cain will go on a run any day now. But I still think Smoltz was the better bet for this year, going into the season. Just bad luck for his owners. (Rivera and Jenks I had about even.)