Camping, Hiking

Jenksismyhero

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 09:51 AM)
OK, I started looking at the weights and you are correct. You should probably should stick with a pop-up.

We didn't have a porta potty in either of our pop-ups. We always stayed at campgrounds with bathhouses so it was never a problem for us. Then we never had to worry about stopping at the dump stations on the way out either. We did have a small portable one that we used in the middle of the night a few times.

Our second pop-up was laid out like this:

2516G.jpg

The only difference was that we had a storage cabinet instead of the porta potty. The slide adds a little weight but it really makes a difference in the interior space. When we had extra people we could fold the dinette down into a bed and we were still able to walk through the camper without stepping on anyone.

Yeah the slides are really nice from what we could tell at the RV show. I guess having the porta potty isn't a huge deal. I thought with a 3 year old it would be nice but realistically we'll be at full hook-up places anyway and they usually have shower/bathroom facilities.

Here was one I was potentially going to check out:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/rvd/4976794968.html

Looks pretty similar to what you had. There are older models in the early 00's that seem to be in good condition that go for 3-4k. More my price range for something that I want to use a lot, but realistically might only use once a year.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 10:38 AM)
Yeah the slides are really nice from what we could tell at the RV show. I guess having the porta potty isn't a huge deal. I thought with a 3 year old it would be nice but realistically we'll be at full hook-up places anyway and they usually have shower/bathroom facilities.

Here was one I was potentially going to check out:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/rvd/4976794968.html

Looks pretty similar to what you had. There are older models in the early 00's that seem to be in good condition that go for 3-4k. More my price range for something that I want to use a lot, but realistically might only use once a year.

That looks pretty nice actually. We've been camping for probably 14 or 15 years now. You may find you love it and end up upgrading both your trailer and your vehicle like we did. To me going on vacation with a camper, sleeping in my own bed and sitting around a campfire at night is much more preferable than staying in a hotel room. We've met lots of interesting and entertaining people in campgrounds over the years.

Like I said the biggest worry with campers is water damage. Check all the caulking around all the seals and the roof when you inspect it. If it's dry and cracking, that's a problem. If there are any soft spots or bubbling on the sides of the camper itself, that's also a problem. It looks like you've already done some research so you should be fine.

Good luck with your search!

Edited by Iwritecode

Going to be doing a trip in late August that I've been thinking about for a long time - 3 days in the backcountry of Canyon de Chelly.

CdC is unusual among National Parks in that it has people living on parts of it, and it is dual-controlled with the Navajo nation. As such, unlike any other park, you can't just go hiking in it (except a few small areas) on your own. You can only travel with a Navajo guide licensed through the park, which we are doing. While normally I prefer no guide (I've rarely used one, if ever), in this case not only do I have to, but it could be kind of cool as they are also interpereters. So they can tell you the back story on all the fascinating archaeological sites in the park.

CdC is like Mesa Verde, except there are even more arch sites (because it was heavily used back then but also more recently), and far fewer people. Really psyched for this one. The guide thing makes it pricier, but thinking it will be worth it.

• 2 months later...

Over Labor Day, the wife and I are hiking across West Maroon Pass in Colorado between Aspen and Crested Butte. Basically, because of the giant peaks between the two towns, it's about a 3 hour drive between the two towns. But it's just a 12 mile hike between. Supposed to be one of the most beautiful hikes in the state of Colorado as well.

I love living out here...

two weeks ago me and the family went camping in South Haven Michigan. We got rained out on Sunday and had to leave early, but Saturday was beautiful at the beach.

Such a nice little town and beach, and so close

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 03:32 PM)
Over Labor Day, the wife and I are hiking across West Maroon Pass in Colorado between Aspen and Crested Butte. Basically, because of the giant peaks between the two towns, it's about a 3 hour drive between the two towns. But it's just a 12 mile hike between. Supposed to be one of the most beautiful hikes in the state of Colorado as well.

I loved living in CO too. I miss mountains.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 03:32 PM)

I did the Bells with a buddy about 8 years ago. My first serious backpacking trip. It was fantastic.

• 3 months later...