Figgins to Sox rumors persist

Steve9347

Fields today is a better prospect than Brandon Wood. Woods swing is much too long and he hasn't been that good of a minor leaguer since his breakout 40+ HR season. He still has a lot of power and raw skills scouts like, but at the same time he's failed to make the necessary adjustments in the minors that will help him be a successful major leaguer and it has shown in his limited time in the majors.

Fields has a lot of holes as well, but he has at least produced at the major league level. I still say I wouldn't have any problem moving Fields because I think his value is greater than what his actual production will be (I say this because I still have concerns over his ability to hit for a good enough average and not strike out 170 times). For those more focused on Slugging, I'm sure he'll do fine with that, but I don't have any desire in having a .250/35HR/160 strikeout average fielding 3rd baseman (not given the other parts on the Sox roster). I'd rather try and acquire a prospect with a better all across the board prognosis.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 27, 2008 -> 10:36 AM)
Fields today is a better prospect than Brandon Wood. Woods swing is much too long and he hasn't been that good of a minor leaguer since his breakout 40+ HR season. He still has a lot of power and raw skills scouts like, but at the same time he's failed to make the necessary adjustments in the minors that will help him be a successful major leaguer and it has shown in his limited time in the majors.

Fields has a lot of holes as well, but he has at least produced at the major league level. I still say I wouldn't have any problem moving Fields because I think his value is greater than what his actual production will be (I say this because I still have concerns over his ability to hit for a good enough average and not strike out 170 times). For those more focused on Slugging, I'm sure he'll do fine with that, but I don't have any desire in having a .250/35HR/160 strikeout average fielding 3rd baseman (not given the other parts on the Sox roster). I'd rather try and acquire a prospect with a better all across the board prognosis.

Wood is still 3 years younger than Fields, he has mashed in AAA 23 HR in 06 and 25 last year, but K's much too often, similar to Fields. I just dont think the Angels would be interested in the same type of player. I wouldnt mind moving Fields either, but I am willing to trade anyone for the right return.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 27, 2008 -> 11:30 AM)
Wood is still 3 years younger than Fields, he has mashed in AAA 23 HR in 06 and 25 last year, but K's much too often, similar to Fields. I just dont think the Angels would be interested in the same type of player. I wouldnt mind moving Fields either, but I am willing to trade anyone for the right return.

I went to a Salt Lake Bees game not too long ago and Wood looked horrible. I think he struck out 3 times and ground out to go 0-4. But I've seen him play before and he is pretty good. I'd rather have Fields though. Oh yeah, and Wood was playing SS at that game. Can't remember the guy playing 3rd's name.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 22, 2008 -> 06:51 PM)
Jim Thome is hitting .214 and still has a higher OPS than Chone Figgins. No.

Thome looks like he's just starting to heat up, and doing anything to drop him from the roster at this point would be foolish.

Yea, I agree, no thanks to this "rumor". This is just stupid.

Edited by Y2HH

per rotoworld

Chone Figgins could be headed back to the disabled list with soreness in his right leg.

Figgins' leg still isn't feeling well enough to play, and if it doesn't improve soon he could be placed on the disabled list retroactive to his May 21 start in Toronto. The soreness is in a different area than that which originally sent him to the DL. ""It's more tendinitis in his tendon as opposed to muscle," Scioscia said. "So, we're a little frustrated. Figgy is too." May. 27 - 1:26 am et

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 28, 2008 -> 02:44 PM)
Fields for Figgins?

2008: Crede 3B, Cabrera SS, Figgins 2B?

2009: Figgins 3B, Ramirez SS, Richar 2B?

Figgins seems like he is always on the DL. I would rather have Fields at third.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 21, 2008 -> 08:20 PM)
We dont have the bullets to get him, and the Angels dont want to unload him.

Let alone to us.

Chone has a bad hammy anyway and he may be damaged goods.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 28, 2008 -> 01:44 PM)
Fields for Figgins?

2008: Crede 3B, Cabrera SS, Figgins 2B?

2009: Figgins 3B, Ramirez SS, Richar 2B?

They already have Josh Fields....his name is Brandon Wood.