Garrett Atkins...

Hanky Panky

I recently added Ian Stewart to my NL-only fantasy baseball team and I was reading... Some news is that Garrett Atkins is available and could be traded soon. Ian Stewart has been playing an okay 2B for the Rockies. Stewart's natural position is 3B though. So, to make room for Stewart at 3B, Colorado may trade Atkins. Is there any way we could maybe land him? I know Crede has been doing a decent job with the bat, but I still like Atkins.

QUOTE (Hanky Panky @ May 31, 2008 -> 12:48 PM)
I recently added Ian Stewart to my NL-only fantasy baseball team and I was reading... Some news is that Garrett Atkins is available and could be traded soon. Ian Stewart has been playing an okay 2B for the Rockies. Stewart's natural position is 3B though. So, to make room for Stewart at 3B, Colorado may trade Atkins. Is there any way we could maybe land him? I know Crede has been doing a decent job with the bat, but I still like Atkins.

Atkins is probably available, it just wouldn't make sense for us. Crede has done well and we'd have to give up a lot to get a guy who wouldn't have a position with us.

Atkins is also a prime example of a guy whose trade value exceeds his overall worth.

There is a lot of talk that at the end of the next trip for the Rockies that they will probably open up the gates and have a bit of a firesale. People in the Colorado media have reported that guys like Atkins and Holliday will likely be available (IIRC, Holiday is either a FA at the end of this year or next year). However, I honestly don't see how you can make that sort of deal, unless you plan on including Swisher and prospects in a trade for someone like Holliday (with the ROckies wanting Swisher, knowing that this is a fluke and that his contract is very affordable, etc) and the Sox upgrading getting a legit middle of the order masher (with a plan of signing him to an extension, knowing that other guys are going to come off the books).

You are obviously taking a bit of a chance on any Colorado player since you never know how impacted there stats are by the Coors experience, but Holliday has been pretty good on the road as well. He is on the DL currently. The one issue with this move is that the Sox will now have a hole in CF (since Holliday is a corner outfielder) so the deal would have to be semi-interesting (in the sense that the Sox would still have to move another one of there bats/players so Anderson can start or some other guy can be acquired to play CF).

Again, pure speculation on my part, but I'd have no problem going after a guy like Holliday to stick in the middle of the order. Not saying the Sox have the ability to get him, which is why any trade for a guy like that will likely involve the dealing of some of your better or more highly thought of players (this could include guys like Swisher/Konerko/Thome who are struggling but I think teams know they have proven themslves and as a result these guys still have some trade value, ableit not as much as any of them did when they were last performing well, which for most of these guys was at least a year ago).

Knight, I agree with you in the sense that Atkins is just not a good fit. If the Rockies were interested in moving Barmes (I'm assuming that won't be the case until Troy T. comes off the DL) than I would have a problem picking him up and considering him as an option at 2B (of course my preference is for a more proven guy or one of Richar/Ramirez to flash the tools and play solid baseball while they continue to develop and get better and better).

I'd rather find a way to resolve the black-hole of highly paid hitters that are struggling (ie, the Thome/Konerko/Swisher "Triangle").