AAP: Eduardo Escobar

Eduardo Jose Escobar

Born: 01/05/1989

Birthplace: Aragua, Venezuela

Height: 5' 10"

Weight: 150 (150?! Get in the weight room, son.)

Bats: S

Throws: R

Position: SS

2006: (from milb.com player highlights) Hit .236 (29-for-123) with 17 RBIs in 46 Venezuelan Summer League games... went 7-for-13 in stolen base attempts.

2007: DSL White Sox2 .291/.359/.344 (.703 OPS) 5 2B, 4 3B, 18 RBI, 56 R, 22 BB, 45 K in 247 at-bats. 19/33 SB

He's with Great Falls as their leadoff hitter this year so the Sox must think relatively highly of him to have him go from the DSL to their higher rookie team as a 19 year-old. He hit a HR in the Voyagers' opener and went 2-3 with a double, 2 walks, 2 RBI and 2 runs in game 2. Good start.

Eduardo was promoted to Kannapolis today. He went 0-5 with a K in his I's debut.

He was 10-24 (.417) with 2 doubles, a triple and a HR with Great Falls. He also had 2 walks, 3 Ks, 4 RBI and 6 runs. 1/2 in SB attempts and a classy 1.173 OPS.

Surprising that he moved up this fast, it's possible it's a temporary thing with an injury or something. A lot of shuffling in the system lately.

• 4 months later...

Baseball America rated Escobar as the 10th best prospect in the White Sox system. He was also named the best defensive infielder.

During his time with Kannapolis this season he hit .267/.302/.300 in 243 at-bats. His lack of power and patience could be a problem down the road especially considering he isn't a big stolen base threat. He was only 19 and in his first professional season so nothing to worry about yet.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Escobar to AA. .285/.327/.402 for the Dash. .730 OPS ain't bad for a good defensive SS. I'm not sure if he can keep it up at AA this year, but it would be nice to have a defensive whiz pull his weight offensively.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
QUOTE (OilCan @ May 28, 2011 -> 06:37 PM)
His May split looks pretty good compared to his April.

.263/.282/.438/.720

Only 9Ks in 80 ABs so at least he's starting to put the ball in play.

He's a good contact hitter, but that's not the part of his game that worries me. It's that he's a slap hitter that doesn't walk.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 28, 2011 -> 11:27 PM)
He's a good contact hitter, but that's not the part of his game that worries me. It's that he's a slap hitter that doesn't walk.

Oh goodness. Well I can automatically dismiss him. Slap hitters that don't walk? No. Never again after this year, hopefully.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 28, 2011 -> 11:55 PM)
Oh goodness. Well I can automatically dismiss him. Slap hitters that don't walk? No. Never again after this year, hopefully.

16 extra base hits this year. That's like a 40-50 XBH pace. That's a hell of a lot better than Pierre. And he supposedly plays gold glove caliber defense, so if that's true, then it more than makes up for the nausea at the plate.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
With manager Robin Ventura still looking for versatile backup help, infielder Eduardo Escobar jumped into the picture Sunday with a leaping catch at short, a stolen base and a three-run homer to go with a single.

"He does a lot of things you like to see," Ventura said. "He can play shortstop, second base, third base and maybe a little outfield. Today he did a lot of smart baseball stuff — and one of them is hitting a home run.

"He can steal bases and move balls along. He just has a good instinct for the game."

Asked if he had the inside track for a backup job, Ventura replied: "I like what he's doing."

LInk

• 4 weeks later...