A Deeper Look: Putting the Sox Over the Top

Chisoxfn

A Deeper Look: Putting the Sox Over the Top

By Jason Gage

July 9, 2003

SoxNet.net

While many people have heard whispers of a “Blow Your Mind” trade, we’ve yet to hear whispers about a trade that will actually put the Sox over the top. Yes, acquiring Miguel Tejada, Mike Lowell, Brian Giles or Ken Griffey Jr. would be great, but a super star isn’t the Sox answer. This team has enough star-power in the lineup and if this lineup can’t produce then the team isn’t deserving of making the World Series.

Any team with the likes of Frank Thomas, Roberto Alomar, Magglio Ordonez, Carl Everett and Co. should be able to produce runs and do it at a high rate. While the new additions have yet to pay off in terms of wins, they should catapult this offense to the next level (a level they should have been at without them).

The biggest concern for the White Sox has to be solidifying the weak bullpen, which at the beginning of the season looked to be a strength. Newly acquired closer Billy Koch lost 5-6 MPH on his fastball while Gary Glover lost all signs of the “potential” he once had. What looked to be a good bullpen at the beginning of the year is now a two-man show (Damaso Marte and Tom Gordon).

Beyond them, the Sox have Billy Koch, who has pitched much better of late -- despite the blown save in Tampa Bay -- but unreliable through it all, Dave Sanders, a mediocre lefty at this stage of the game, Gary Glover and Rick White. Kelly Wunsch has been sidelined the past few weeks and was recently shutdown, but still should be back in the coming weeks, which will be a huge lift. However, it won’t be enough.

Now that the weakness has been located, lets find a way to fix it.

When it comes to relief their isn’t one definitive answer of who to get, because so many guys are out there. While some teams or scouts would prefer getting a big name guy like Ugeth Urbina, I’d prefer going for a “no-namer” who will produce. Sure Urbina can close, but his ERA is high (for a closer) and the cost in terms of prospects is even higher. Really, what is the difference between a guy that can dominate in the seventh inning compared to a go that does solid in the ninth? An opportunity. Closers are over-rated unless their names are Eric Gagne, John Smoltz, Troy Percival, Billy Wagner or Mariano Rivera.

Now that I’ve talked about the type of player I like, lets talk about the options the Sox have.

Option 1:

The Sox could trade soley for a reliever. If that’s the case I’d look no further then Southern California, home to many talented-middle relievers. While the names Paul Shuey, Brandon Donnely and Paul Quantrill come to mind, they won’t be who I’d focus on, mostly because they’d be to expensive to acquire. Therefore Ken Williams should focus on Scott Shields of the Angels or Guillermo Mota of the Dodgers.

Scott Shields is a talented right-hander that has done a great job with the Angels the past few seasons. He has stamina and could fill in as a spot-starter (Sox don’t need that), but more importantly he would come in with the idea of being a seventh inning/long guy which is exactly what the Sox need. We all know that Marte, Gordon and Koch will control the eighth and ninth innings (yes, Koch is shakey, but he’s gonna be pitching in those situations). Mota would be able to do the same thing. Shields, 27, is 2-1 with a 1.79 ERA in 27 games (2 starts). He has given up 53 hits in 65.1 innings of work, striking out 53 while walking 21. In case you think he’s a one-year wonder, here are his 2002 numbers: 5-3 with a 2.20 ERA in 29 games. Mota, 29, is 2-2 with a 1.71 ERA and has pitched in 37 games. He has struck out 46 while walking 12 in 52.2 innings of work. Mota’s best pitch is an upper 90-MPH fastball and many scouts believe he could one day become a closer.

A bullpen of Wunsch, White, Shields/Mota, Gordon, Marte and Koch would be quite a upgrad when compared to one that contains both Glover and Sanders.

Option 2:

The Sox could opt to acquire a starting pitcher and reliever in a package. The logic behind this move would be to move Dan Wright into the bullpen, where many believe he can excel. Wright has great stuff and should be able to succeed whether he’s in the rotation or the pen.

The one deal I really like that fits this bill would be a Sidney Ponson and Kerry Lightenberg trade for a package of Carlos Lee/Paul Konerko, Gary Glover and Arnie Munoz or another prospect. The Orioles have made it known that Ponson and Lightenberg are on the block and that they are willing to take on the salary of a guy like Konerko if they were to get a prospect in return. There were talks of a Ponson for Konerko deal a few weeks ago, which apparently died down.

In Ponson, the Sox would get a guy on pace to win 20 games. Ponson is having a break-out year and is an innings eater. When on, he throws a lot of ground-balls and can shut down an offense. Unlike the Sox earlier moves (Alomar/Everett), this would be a long-term acquisition. Ponson may be a free agent, but at 26, he’s just entering the prime of his career. He could fill in admirably in the upper portion of the rotation if the Sox lose Colon via free agency. This season Ponson is 11-5 with a 3.85 ERA.

Lightenberg is a talented reliever that has post-season experience (Braves) and can get guys out. He would be comfortable pitching in the eighth or even ninth innings of games, but would also be a great fit in the seventh. This season Lightenberg is 1-1 with a 3.34 ERA.

There is no doubt in my mind that a team with a rotation of Loaiza, Buehrle, Colon, Ponson and Garland, and a bullpen of White, Wright, Lightenberg, Wunsch, Marte, Gordon and Koch would be able to go deep into the playoffs for not just this year, but many years to come.

Great article Jason but with the dog days that we are having right now it seems a little too optimistic.

NO TO URBINA!

Ya...although I still believe moving some of the DH type guys like Konerko and Lee would really give the Sox a different landscape. It would get some speed consistently in the lineup (Harris/Rowand) and they would have much better defense.

As I type this Alex Sanchez makes an awesome catch in center.

Guest hotsoxchick1

nice article jas... but the only edge i want to put this team over right about now is the edge of the roof on the sears tower...........how can we have so much talent and not be able to do anything with it........ :huh: its mind boggling.........

Ian was telling me I should of changed it at the last second and cahnged it to A Deeper Look: Blowing the Sox Up.

I kind of had an article like that a while ago when I called for a complete overhaul and I will say this. If by July 25th this team is still 4 or more out, then Williams really has to look long and hard. You can get something for guys like Everett, Alomar and Colon and most likely those three would walk. Also if they could free up payroll by moving Lee, Jose or Konerko then that would be wise too.

I know its giving up a lot, but the Sox would have quite a bit of money and could bring in a new shortstop (A good one; this is one position I think its wise to invest money). Then they can resign Daubach to play 1st/dh with Konerko and sign a real centerfielder or left-fielder (You can always find one of these guys for a relatively decent price).

Then make a push at Ponson (Maybe do it now with the thought of keeping him long term).

You'd give up this year, yet still be more then ready to compete next year iwth a much different look. They could also lock up Esteban and Buehrle. Koch is another guy they could move.

I really like the idea of adding Ponson. I think if the Sox are still in the hunt he could be to one player to push them to the top. Moving Wright to the bullpen would be great to help solidify that unit. There is still alot of games left and even with this road trip meltdown I don't think there is a reason to be even thinking about giving up yet.

As my optimism wanes on this season, I refuse to give up on this team. There is no chance in hell, that a team with this kind of talent could possibly be this bad. I have said it before and I'll say it again. Get yourself some relief help and have Jerry Manuel leave the damn line-up alone and you got yourself a playoff team. What the hell kind of line-up was that last night. This team needs consistency. :headbang

Dan Evans is under orders to shed payroll.  This deal couldn't happen unless the Sox paid Lee's salary.

From what I heard Dan Evans has the ability to add salary right now. Next year the Dodgers are going to be buyers in free agency.

I don't see an option for throwing Jerry Manuel off a cliff, what's up with that?

I was thinking the Sox could trade him to the Yankees for a prospect or two. All we got to do is convince George that the Red Sox are going after him.