Dean calls the Republican party the 'White Party"

EvilMonkey

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 10:38 PM)
The democratic party has a LOT more african-american voters because they've somehow convinced a lot of voters from that group that even despite how the republican party was started in the first place, the GOP hates black people. Besides african-americans, both parties have a pretty equal amount of diversity, it's just that one group that the democrats have put into a trance to almost exclusively vote for them. I mean there are certainly african-americans that vote for the democrats due to the issue, but I think some just do it because "everybody else does". That's just the view of the white guy though.

Well, the dems were the ones that were the main pushers for civil rights legislation: truman, kennedy, especially LBJ. Then you had Nixon specifically back some pro-segregationist policies to attract the dixiecrats over to being republicans. The dems are the ones mostly behind affirmative action policies and eliminating prejudice in housing and other purchases. THey didn't convince the black population that the GOP hates them, they are just in more populated areas where people are also more democrat in mindset.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 02:34 PM)
Ok, I'm going to stir the pot here.

As I watched the RNC I saw like 8 people who weren't white. :huh

I noticed the people waving the cowboy hats more than anything else. There weren't a whole lot of minority speakers, not because the GOP didn't let them or anything, but because there really weren't that many to choose from. That's just how it is, really.

You saw only about 8 people who weren't white at the RNC because the crowd consists of almost all delegates.

BTW, Michael Steele (the head of GOPAC) spoke early on Wednesday.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 05:49 PM)
You saw only about 8 people who weren't white at the RNC because the crowd consists of almost all delegates.

I'm just saying. Dean called it "the white party." So we see the convention, and it's like 95% white.

Dean may have said it pretty tactlessly, but what he said wasn't completely out of left field.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 05:38 PM)
The democratic party has a LOT more african-american voters because they've somehow convinced a lot of voters from that group that even despite how the republican party was started in the first place, the GOP hates black people. Besides african-americans, both parties have a pretty equal amount of diversity, it's just that one group that the democrats have put into a trance to almost exclusively vote for them. I mean there are certainly african-americans that vote for the democrats due to the issue, but I think some just do it because "everybody else does". That's just the view of the white guy though.

Bmags hit on this already but it got the way it is now with the 60s civil rights legislation and Nixon's Southern Strategy. It's been that way ever since.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 03:52 PM)
I'm just saying. Dean called it "the white party." So we see the convention, and it's like 95% white.

Dean may have said it pretty tactlessly, but what he said wasn't completely out of left field.

Dean making a tactless comment certainly isn't completely out of left field. :lolhitting

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 03:49 PM)

However, it turns out you did see some faces of African Americans who support McCain broadcast on their screen.

Faces bought, of course, from istockphoto.com.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 07:11 PM)
The GOP has Bobby Jindal, thats pretty much their only prominent minority member other than Alan Keyes (who they've pretty much disowned because he's crazy).

Michael Steele isn't crazy. He doesn't hold any elected office atm though so he doesn't really count.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 04:13 PM)
However, it turns out you did see some faces of African Americans who support McCain broadcast on their screen.

Faces bought, of course, from istockphoto.com.

What's wrong with showing pictures of everyday people on a screen and who cares where they got them from?

Oh, right, the Daily Kos. Because they need something to be angry about.