Best 2009 draft prospects

whitesoxbrian

Alex White RHP, UNC and Dustin Ackley 1B/OF UNC will both go high in the 1st round. Alex has a legit chance to be the top pick in the draft, he's nasty.

Mychal Givens, a SS/RHP from Plant HS, FLA has a chance to be the first high schooler taken.

Matt Purke, LHP, Klein HS, Texas is probably the top lefty in the draft right now.

Ryan Jackson, SS, Miami should be taken as high or higher than Jemille Weeks.

That's all I know right now.

Stephen Strasburg (sp?) of San Diego State (or just SD) is pretty much the top guy. but he is advised by Boras and his demands will probably be the highest ever. The kid is just wicked, he throws up to 99 MPH and located and that's not even his best pitch. He is the top talent. Another guy to watch for is Kyle Gibson of Missouri. If he gets his head on straight he can be downright nasty too. Low to mid 90s with sinking action and very projectable.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 11:12 PM)
Beat me to it. There are already fantasy discussions about this guy, being a keeper option in dynasty leagues. Supposed to have insane stuff.

i think strausburg struck out like 23 batters in a game earlier this year or something

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 03:20 AM)
I was reading about some catcher named Stassi, who would come out of high school in CA.

He was ranked like #20 on some site- I wonder if he'd still be there when we picked for the 1st time??

He's on SaberScoutings "High School Hot 30" at no. 6;

"6. Max Stassi, C

School & Hometown: Yuba City HS; Yuba City, CA

Specs: 5′10, 190, Bats R, Throws R

Skinny: A polished, all-around backstop that lacks the frame and power scouts look for behind the plate, but shows solid gap pop, an above-average bat, and is an above-average defender with a plus arm. Stassi has really raised his profile on the showcase circuit into a legitimate top 2 rounder. UCLA commit."

http://www.saberscouting.com/2008/07/27/20...hot30/#more-285

Sounds decent and we definately need some more catching depth.

Edited by Ozzie Ball

Doesn't he sound like AJP?

"Above average bat"

"Lacks frame" (although AJ is a bit tall)

"Average power"

"Above average D with a plus arm" (although I'd say AJ's arm is solid at best)

If we could get him with like the 30th pick or one of the 4 we get from Crede and OC leaving, that'd be nice.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 03:28 PM)

"Above average bat"

"Average power"

If we could get him with like the 30th pick or one of the 4 we get from Crede and OC leaving, that'd be nice.

3 at the most, possibly 2. (if Crede isn't even offered Arb)

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 01:39 PM)
3 at the most, possibly 2. (if Crede isn't even offered Arb)

They'll likely offer Crede arbitration. Fields isn't an option and the Sox wouldn't have a problem, imo, if Crede accepted a one year deal. I'd expect 3, possibly 4 (depending on what happens with Griffey).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 01:58 PM)
They'll likely offer Crede arbitration. Fields isn't an option and the Sox wouldn't have a problem, imo, if Crede accepted a one year deal. I'd expect 3, possibly 4 (depending on what happens with Griffey).

Barring another surgery for someone, there's not a player on the Sox who hits FA that we shouldn't offer Arb to. The only one we should have to even think about is Griffey, but if he's still type B at the end of the season, then I'd take him back on a 1 year deal or let him walk for a sandwich pick.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 09:28 PM)

"Above average bat"

"Average power"

Will we get anything for Joe? I thought they chose the type A/B free agents based on their previous two season and since Crede missed most of last year I didn't think we were getting anything for him. Also anyone know what happens with Griffey, by declining his option do we lose the ability to offer him arb.?

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 04:22 PM)
Will we get anything for Joe? I thought they chose the type A/B free agents based on their previous two season and since Crede missed most of last year I didn't think we were getting anything for him. Also anyone know what happens with Griffey, by declining his option do we lose the ability to offer him arb.?

Crede will be a Type B free agent, he's done enough this year to earn that rating. If he's offered arb the Sox will get a sandwich pick.

Griffey will also be a Type B free agent, the Sox will decline his option but offer him arbitration (yes, you can do that) which he will hopefully decline and the Sox will get a sandwich pick for him.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 09:31 PM)
So...

We could get 1 pick for OC, 1 for Joe, 1 for Griffey, and the 1st and 2nd rounder we will already have?

Cabrera: 2

Thome: 2 (if his option somehow does not vest)

Crede: 1

Griffey: 1 (outside shot at 2, he did qualify as a type A for '06/'07)

Uribe: 1

A shot at 3 first rounders and 6 sandwich/second rounders.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 04:27 PM)
Crede will be a Type B free agent, he's done enough this year to earn that rating. If he's offered arb the Sox will get a sandwich pick.

Griffey will also be a Type B free agent, the Sox will decline his option but offer him arbitration (yes, you can do that) which he will hopefully decline and the Sox will get a sandwich pick for him.

Is Cinci going to fork over the cash to buyout Jr's option?

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Aug 31, 2008 -> 07:08 PM)
Is Cinci going to fork over the cash to buyout Jr's option?

Sources said the Reds and White Sox will essentially "split" what remains on Griffey's contract this season, along with the cost of his $4 million buyout for 2009. The Reds had a $16.5 million club option for 2009 on Griffey, but Chicago did not have to exercise the option as part of the deal.
Link.

This Tigers Blog believes they have figured out the Elias Sports Bureau's formula for calculating Type A and B players.

Toby Hall: 25.714, 33.334 points below the lowest Type B

Ken Griffey JR: 68.816 TYPE B, 2.5 points below the lowest Type A

Jim Thome: 66.000 TYPE B, 5.316 points below the lowest Type A

Orlando Cabrera: 84.127 TYPE A, 13.379 points above the highest Type B

Juan Uribe: 55.556, .938 points below the lowest Type B

Joe Crede: 38.776, 17.718 points below the lowest Type B

So assuming this thing is accurate Jim Thome is only a Type B, Juan Uribe is just below Type B and Joe Crede is going to net us nothing. Terrific

Thome: 1

Griffey: 1

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Sep 1, 2008 -> 01:03 PM)
This Tigers Blog believes they have figured out the Elias Sports Bureau's formula for calculating Type A and B players.

So assuming this thing is accurate Jim Thome is only a Type B, Juan Uribe is just below Type B and Joe Crede is going to net us nothing. Terrific

This is a new system for for FAs right? The old was disposed of like two years ago? If that's the case, I liked the old one better because it seemed everyone was a type A free agent.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Sep 1, 2008 -> 12:03 PM)

Yeah, but what are the chances that this guy is actually correct?