this was person with limited visibillity being blindsided and injured

where is the humor in that

Guest hotsoxchick1
I saw the replay and I am not amused

the guy should be severelly penalized

this was no planned prank with the professional mascot prearranged

im sorry cw.. and you are right he should be punished.. i just cant help but find a bit of humor in this though......espically since our team sucks so badly...new headlines... "player jailed for whacking sausage".......the joke posibilities are endless ..........its just hard to keep the feelings of that sausage in mind in times like this.............im bad and will probably go to hell for it.....but you gotta admit we are reaching for any bit of laughter we can find right now with the way things have been going with this team............

I saw the replay and I am not amused

the guy should be severelly penalized

this was no planned prank with the professional mascot prearranged

Finally someone that agrees with me in this thread....

Guest hotsoxchick1

i dont know if bud will punish him or not.... ill say one thing though.. every news channel i have watched today has had a field day with this.. i never laughed so hard in my life... and when i tuned into sports center this afternoon i almost wet my pants i was lmao so much............

Guest hotsoxchick1

Today's lesson: Remember, kids, be kind to the mascots

By Gary Mihoces, USA TODAY

Bonk! Zonk! Kaboom! One hazard of being a sports mascot is that humans sometimes forget a real person is under that wacky, oversized costume. And they occasionally bop them on the head or kick them in the shin — like they are cartoons characters.

Randall Simon and Guido the Italian Sausage will be forever linked in hot dog racing lore.

By Darren Hauck, AP and Ron Kunestler, AP via Racine Journal Times

Pierre Deschesnes says he always points that out during the mascot school his company, Pro Mascot, operates in Gautier, Miss.

"It's like when you teach your children how to cross the street. I always tell them that when you put the costume on, you always have to look left and look right," says Deschesnes, who's worn fake fur of all hues in his two decades as a mascot, including a stint as Youppi with baseball's Montreal Expos.

"You never know what is coming ... and you'd better be ready or you will be in trouble." (Related Item: Simon fined $432)

Wednesday in Milwaukee, Pittsburgh Pirates first baseman Randall Simon hit one of the Brewers sausage racers with his bat as she passed the Pirates dugout.

There was an 18-year-old woman, identified only as Mandy from South Milwaukee, inside the Italian sausage costume. She fell and tripped another woman dressed as a hot dog.

"When you have a lot of experience, you usually don't have any trouble," Deschesnes says. "But when you don't have enough experience, things can happen."

The sausage racers are not professional mascots. They are fans or Brewers employees.

"I'm lucky. I cross my fingers," Deschesnes says. "For 20 years, I've never had any trouble."

Tale of the tape

Breaking down the Randall Simon-Guido the Italian Sausage matchup:

Sausage

Simon

Guido

Goes by Randall

8 feet

Height 6 feet

Less than 240 pounds

Weight 240 pounds

Born May 26, 1975

Foam

Head Foam

Italian

Nationality Curacaoan

Mustard

Uniform Mustard yellow

Polish sausage, bratwurst and hot dog Competition Cardinals, Cubs, Astros, Brewers and Reds

George Foreman grill

Fears Randy Johnson slider

1996 (first with 30 wins, four more than Polish sausage)

Best season 2002 (.305, 19 HRs, 82 RBI)

Sponsor Klement's, signed through 2005 Contract Signed through 2003

But he does remember one incident when he worked for the Expos in 1991. Driving a four-wheel vehicle, he accidentally ran over the cap and glove of Chicago Cubs player George Bell. He says Bell popped him in the nose. "He didn't hurt me at all, but I still don't know if it was fake or for real," he says.

Deschesnes gets angry at TV commercials in which mascots get knocked around. "That's a bad example right there," he says. "Kids see that on TV, and they say, 'Oh, it's fun. I can do it myself, too.' "

No one can be sure what Simon was thinking Wednesday. His explanation Thursday was, "I was just trying to get a tap on the costume for her to finish the race."

Simon is not considered confrontational. With Atlanta in 2000, he was undisturbed when he learned teammate John Rocker called him "a fat monkey."

Ryan Borghoff, 16, wore the bratwurst costume in Wednesday's race that he won after the crash wiped out the Italian sausage and hot dog and the Polish sausage went to help. He said Simon would not have had to swing very hard. "These things are so top-heavy that it doesn't take much."

The race took place on the Brewers' weekly Women on Wednesdays promotion in which female fans get a giveaway. Two female fans clad in the latest sausagewear knocked to the ground is not what the team had in mind.

But the racing sausages' home-and-home series against the Pirates' racing pirogies is still on for Aug. 15-17 in Pittsburgh and Aug. 22-24 in Milwaukee.

Not everyone was upset by the incident, though. Josee Meehan of the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council liked all the attention.

"I think it probably raised awareness that there are all types of sausages. But I had no idea you could race them," Meehan said. "We were talking about which one would win. We thought it probably would be the hot dog because it's leaner than the other ones."

Guest hotsoxchick1
This is one of the extremely rare  cases where I hope Randall Simon, MLB, Bud Selig, the Pirates Organization, etc. get their collective asses sued  :ph34r:

oh im sure there were a plethora of greedy blood sucking lawyers just sippin on beers in the crowd ready to hand out their business cards to this girl.......... :D if not then they are missing out on a golden oportunity....

This is one of the extremely rare  cases where I hope Randall Simon, MLB, Bud Selig, the Pirates Organization, etc. get their collective asses sued  :ph34r:

don't think it'll happen, they interviewed the girl and she said she thought it was funny, she wasn't hurt etc. plus simon gave her and the other one autographed bats.

Guest hotsoxchick1
plus simon gave her and the other one autographed bats.
....lol that and a quarter will get them a roll of t.p......

Guest hotsoxchick1
yeh but the fact that they accepted them says something.

says that all wisconsiners heads are really made of cheese???? :huh: :lol:

maybe he gave her the same bat he knocked her over with. if she doesn't want it, she can always auction it off on ebay, make more money than she ever would have running sausage races, everybody wins. B)

maybe he gave her the same bat he knocked her over with. if she doesn't want it, she can always auction it off on ebay, make more money than she ever would have running sausage races, everybody wins. B)

Advertise it as..... "The bat Randall Simon beats the meat with!" :lolhitting

Guest hotsoxchick1
:headbang I'd buy it, it's a piece of Americana now. f*** Bonds's home run ball, I want Randall's bat.

it would probably bring in more cash than the ball did.......for you anyhow...cause you wont need to hire a lawyer to get it...lol..........."the new club" for sausage tenderizing of course.....

Guest hotsoxchick1
Call it "Randall's MeatBeater" from now on  :headbang

so this would be an occasion where "walk tall and carry a big stick" would come into play right?????? :huh:

From what I understand, the ladies involved did not want charges pressed against Simon. I believe this, though perhaps an error in judgemnet, was intended to be all in good fun. After viewing the clips, and hearing what the parties involved had to say, I hope this just becomes a forgotten issue. Simon does not deserve any "punishment".