Mr. Tallon...tear down that Wall

CanOfCorn

Excellent move by the Hawks. Give Huet the reigns and enjoy some real goaltending in this season... the best we'll have seen since Belfour.

They aren't clear of the salary, btw, hopefully someone picks him up off of waivers or else they buy him out.

EDIT: I guess the big club is clear of the salary if he's in Rockford, oddly enough.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 29, 2008 -> 03:08 PM)
Excellent move by the Hawks. Give Huet the reigns and enjoy some real goaltending in this season... the best we'll have seen since Belfour.

They aren't clear of the salary, btw, hopefully someone picks him up off of waivers or else they buy him out.

EDIT: I guess the big club is clear of the salary if he's in Rockford, oddly enough.

That's what I don't get.

I can see it not counting against the cap if someone has a two-way contract, but no way Khabibulin has a two-way contract.

Shedding some light on the situation.

If Khabibulin goes unclaimed Tallon could demote him to the minors and then place him on recall waivers, where a rival club could claim him and only take on half of his salary.

The Hawks would still be stuck with half of Khabby's salary, but this would mean a move to Ottawa would be much easier.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 30, 2008 -> 03:05 PM)
There is the other option, which I don't think the Hawks would do, but if they actually do stick Bulin in the minors, while the club would have to pay the 6.75, it wouldn't count against the cap.

1.I don't think they would that to Nik

2.I don't think they are willing to pay 6.75 to a AHL netminder

3.That looks really bad as an organization, and could scare off other FA's down the road.

Yeah that won't happen. He'll get dealt after he gets claimed once he goes down, so the other team can afford it.

My guess is he'll still go to Los Angeles.

Gerber and Auld is a decent duo for Ottawa, but they could still upgrade obviously.

Either way, I think Tallon should of handled this situation better, but to me Huet will provide an upgrade on what the Bulin Wall has produced for the Hawks.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Sep 30, 2008 -> 03:14 PM)
My guess is he'll still go to Los Angeles.

Gerber and Auld is a decent duo for Ottawa, but they could still upgrade obviously.

Either way, I think Tallon should of handled this situation better, but to me Huet will provide an upgrade on what the Bulin Wall has produced for the Hawks.

There's no question about that. Khabibulin was brutally worthless. Huet's save percentage and performance has been way better, he's the best tender we've had since Belfour (and I liked Hackett and Thibault...)

QUOTE (The Critic @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 07:46 AM)
According to SportsRise, no one put in a waiver claim for Khabibulin.

I'm not surprised, I'm sure any team interested would want Tallon to eat some of his salary.

No doubt they will have to give up some draft pick or take on a somewhat bad contract to dump Khabi.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 10:19 AM)
No doubt they will have to give up some draft pick or take on a somewhat bad contract to dump Khabi.

Or it's possible it turns into a Samsonov deal where someone claims Khabibulin at half-price if and when the Hawks try to recall him from Rockford.

Spector's Rumors

Trade rumors are flying after Chicago Blackhawks goalie Nikolai Khabibulin was not claimed off waivers on Monday. Read on for the latest.

CHICAGO SUN-TIMES/CHICAGO DAILY HERALD: both reported Blackhawks goalie Nikolai Khabibulin cleared waivers yesterday, leaving GM Dale Tallon to decide on his next course of action. Khabibulin could be demoted to the minors where his salary won't count against the cap and would free up considerable space to add another player (possibly Washington's Michael Nylander, according to the Sun-Times), or they could demote him and then place him on recall waivers, where a rival club could claim him and only pick up half his salary. Both papers also consider a trade a possibility, listing the LA Kings, Ottawa Senators and NY Rangers as potential trade partners.

SPORTSNET.CA: yesterday reports Senators GM Bryan Murray dismissed speculation he was interested in Khabibulin. "He makes $6.75 million. So whether he's a top goalie or not doesn't matter. We couldn't bring him on," said Murray, who appears to have given a vote of confidence to his current tandem of Martin Gerber and Alex Auld.

DENVER POST: Adrian Dater reports the Colorado Avalanche front office has indicated they're not interested in Khabibulin. "(General manager) Francois Giguere said in the (Sept. 2) press conference announcing the signing of Joe Sakic that the team in place then was the team that would likely be in place entering opening night," Avalanche vice president Jean Martineau said.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: No surprise that Murray is sticking with his tandem. Even if Khabibulin went on recall waivers the Sens lack the cap space to pick him up. Kings GM Dean Lombardi has indicated no interest in pursuing a goalie, sticking with Jason Labarbera as his starter and likely either Erik Ersberg or Jonathan Quick backing up Labarbera, and has repeatedly stated his intent is to bolster his defense. The Kings still have to reach the cap floor but it might not be via trading for Khabibulin. As for the Rangers rumor, that's based on an internet report suggesting the Blueshirts have concern over Henrik Lundqvist's knees, but they too lack the cap space to take him on unless they dump salary first. It remains to be seen what will happen with Khabibulin but it's clear the 'Hawks are trying to ship him out.

I really think the rest of the league could give a damn about Bulin. He might rot in Rockford.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 02:32 PM)
I'd like Nylander but he makes a decent amount of dough fora bout 3 more yeas. I thiknk his cap hit is 4 million or so.

I thought I remembered his previous divorce from the Blackhawks being messy, but that was a different regime. His playmaking ability would be top-notch on the 2nd unit if we could get him.

SPORTSNET.CA: reports the Chicago Blackhawks are prepared to loan goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin to a Russian team in order to remove his $6.75 million salary from their payroll. Negotiations are believed ongoing but it has yet to be determined which KHL team he could be loaned to, although it's believed HC Dinamo Minsk of Belaruscould have the inside track as Khabibulin is believed to have family there.