2008 = great year

fathom

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 08:24 PM)
Agreed 100% Tony, you get it. By definition, any time you don't win the world series, the season was a failure. Failed to win the world series, the only goal any organization should have. Again, not realistic for every team every season, but that doesn't mean you should lower expectations and be happy with division championships or just making the playoffs.

What does history have to do with this Rays season, or any season in general? Absolutely, positively nothing. Who cares that the Rays were a laughingstock for a long time? It's completely irrelevant. They won the tough AL East. They are a very good, legit team. Their goal and expectation should be to win the world series, and anything less than that is a disappointment.

Wow, I really disagree with your opinion and many people on this board must also because I don't see many other calling this White Sox season a failure. The general consensus seems to be the opposite with 4 threads started tonight thanking the Sox and talking positively about this season.

Do you also really believe that history has no relevence either? After watching the Sox win in 2005? Did you see how much it meant to the fans, players, coaches, owners, former players, and anybody else who is associated with or associates themselves with the White Sox? Grown men were in tears when they finally won it. Throw the Red Sox and Cubs in there too. Do you think history really meant nothing when Boston finally won it? Or each year when the Cubs fail to?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall, I'm pleased with the season. The Sox definitely exceeded my expectations for this year, and they've raised my expectations for next year. I'm excited about watching Danks, Alexi, Carlos, and Floyd. I'm hopeful that the offense can get a little less slow (I'm sure Kenny will have a good plan for that).

A good season, if a little frustrating at times. But the frustration came more from seeing how good these guys can be, but sometimes falling short of that.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 10:11 PM)
Wow, I really disagree with your opinion and many people on this board must also because I don't see many other calling this White Sox season a failure. The general consensus seems to be the opposite with 4 threads started tonight thanking the Sox and talking positively about this season.

Do you also really believe that history has no relevence either? After watching the Sox win in 2005? Did you see how much it meant to the fans, players, coaches, owners, former players, and anybody else who is associated with or associates themselves with the White Sox? Grown men were in tears when they finally won it. Throw the Red Sox and Cubs in there too. Do you think history really meant nothing when Boston finally won it? Or each year when the Cubs fail to?

Like Tony said, semantics. There are only 4 teams in the major sports that have a truly successful season, because they accomplished the goal of a championship. As Tony hinted, KW would say the white sox failed to reach their goal. Now, did they win only 50 games or fall flat on their face with a huge lead, etc? Of course not. Now, that would be a huge failure. The season was still fun, and shows promise for the future. Lots of good things went on this year. Successful on some levels.

As far as your second paragraph is concerned...OK, now you're just making stuff up. When did i say the world series title didn't matter?

I was comparing the failure of the Rays to this season. What happened doesn't, and shouldn't matter for this season. This season has nothing to do with them blowing in 1999 or any other year. You don't temper expectations based upon what happened years ago. By that same token, you shouldn't take an improvement one season as "hey, it was much better than last year." By that logic, if the Cubs won a playoff series, fans should be satisfied. When really, that's a complete loser attitude.

Edited by IlliniKrush

I'm quite satisfied with this season overall. When KW was talking about winning the division I thought that he was crazy and I was one of the people calling for a rebuild by dumping Konerko, Dye, etc... I thought that the only players we had who would be able to help us this season and for several more seasons were Buerhle, Vasquez and possibly Danks depending on how he developed.

I had almost zero expectations for Floyd, Quentin, and thought that Ramirez would probably spend most of the season in AAA adjusting to the jump in competition.

I had little hope for the future as I saw us as an aging team without any young bullets ready to step up anytime soon. I was damn wrong. With the emergence of the aforementioned players we've really caught lightening in a bottle. When was the last time you saw a team have 4 young unknowns all breakout in the same season? We've really got something to be excited about for the future and I for one am proud of the way this team came together and gave us another taste of the postseason. We also got to the playoffs by knocking the Twins out which was extra sweet for me personally.

I can't wait to see what KW has in store for the offseason and I can't wait for '09. GO SOX!!