Things learned from ALDS series

joeynach

I'll just start with a few observations and things to take away. I look forward to seeing what other things people noticed.

1. Danks is a big game pitcher and can defiantly be relied upon when needed the most. I also noticed an increase in velocity vs the twins and rays.

2. Mark Buehrle is gonna be the same ole MB, good for 14-16 wins with an ERA in the high 3s. He can also be counted on for quality starts in the postseason.

3. Javy Vazquez is really nothing but an innings eating #4 starter who feasts of the weak (BAL, KC, OAK). He pitches like a sally in big situations and in big games and can definatly not be counted on for postseason (or big) games. I compare him to a Doug Davis or Jeff Suppan, just with better stuff.

4. Gavin Flloyd has a lot of promise but when it rains for this guy it poors. He still has difficulty keeping the ball in the park and when hes not spot on he falls behind a lot of hitters and then gets beat, mainly by his fastball. He is someone to keep an eye on and it will be interesting to see how the league adjust in 09.

5. Matt Thronton can defiantly bring it and really does throw 95-97 MPH. His fastball is by far his best pitch and its a shame to see him get beat on off speed pitches. When he throws his off speed stuff righties can usually hand it and occasionally fool a left, but its defiantly a "B" pitch for him.

6. Bobby Jenks can defiantly still bring it, maybe not 99-100 MPH but 95-97 for sure. Its nice to see he can reach back when he needs it.

7. Thome can still hit and he still has the 30+ HR pop, maybe not at the .275 BA anymore, more like .250, but he still has value.

8. Paulie hasn't completely lost it, once he got healthy and in a groove he looked like the same ole Paulie, I would expect the same from him next year.

Anyone else?

8. Paulie hasn't completely lost it, once he got healthy and in a groove he looked like the same ole Paulie, I would expect the same from him next year.

How old is ol' Paulie? He had some nice at bats the last month and a half into the postseason. Also some high pop ups. Way high in the air.

The league was adjusting to Floyd all season long. He was adjusting to their adjustments and he became a better pitcher; his peripherals got better as the year went on and his confidence is at an all time high. If the number of innings thrown for both Danks and Floyd don't catch up to them next year, I expect both to have very good seasons.

Today, Floyd left a fastball up to Upton on his second homer and it was a huge mistake...he doesn't have the fastball that can blow hitters away and he has to work down in the zone, and he knows that. I didn't see much of the game due to prior engagements, but from the replays it looked like he had good velocity at the very least (and the difference in rest between starts for him at the end of the year was undoubtedly a factor). However, it looked like a typical regular season Floyd start where he's not his sharpest but battles through 6 innings and keeps the team in the game.

Also, comparing Vazquez to Suppan, who was the NLCS MVP in 2006, isn't quite valid. Suppan is a pretty gutty pitcher who got rocked because he just doesn't have good stuff anymore.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 03:40 AM)
Also, comparing Vazquez to Suppan, who was the NLCS MVP in 2006, isn't quite valid. Suppan is a pretty gutty pitcher who got rocked because he just doesn't have good stuff anymore.

I meant hes like suppan in that hes a #4 pitcher who is good at eating innings but shouldnt be counted on to shut anyone down at big moments or in big games.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 12:09 AM)
How old is ol' Paulie? He had some nice at bats the last month and a half into the postseason. Also some high pop ups. Way high in the air.

Good ole Paulie, similar to Uribe, does the good outweigh the bad? Sure he might end up hitting .280 next season, but it'll probably be 2 months of him hitting .400 and 4 months of him hitting .200. When he's not hitting and you consider that he's as fast a pregnant turtle, he's useless. So basically he kills us for 4 months.

The numbers are an exaggeration, but you get the point.

When he's not hitting and you consider that he's as fast a pregnant turtle, he's useless. So basically he kills us for 4 months.

The numbers are an exaggeration, but you get the point.

I definitely get the point. Good line about the pregnant turtle. Paulie's pop ups certainly are annoying. When he gets his pitch and drives it like that beautiful homer in the final game vs. the Rays, he's a thing of beauty.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 11:54 PM)
I definitely get the point. Good line about the pregnant turtle. Paulie's pop ups certainly are annoying. When he gets his pitch and drives it like that beautiful homer in the final game vs. the Rays, he's a thing of beauty.

They're annoying but I think Joe Crede's popups annoy me a bit more than PK's. After all only 42% of Konerko's contact outs last year came via the flyout, compare that to Crede's 63% and Pauly's lookin' pretty good.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 11:14 PM)
They're annoying but I think Joe Crede's popups annoy me a bit more than PK's. After all only 42% of Konerko's contact outs last year came via the flyout, compare that to Crede's 63% and Pauly's lookin' pretty good.

YEAH WELL ATLEAST CREDE IS ON THE BANNER