Scouts take on Beckham

bighurt4life

This is from an article written by a scout for ESPN.com

• White Sox second baseman Gordon Beckham, their first-round pick this past June, struggled at the beginning of the AFL. Pitchers were busting him inside, and he was not handling those pitches well. He had just 14 pro games prior to the AFL, so it's possible that making the transition to wood bats was still an issue, because handling balls on the inner half of the plate is a bit different than with aluminum bats. However, in a positive sign for his future development, he's been able to make the adjustment fairly quickly, keeping his hands inside the ball much better over the past couple of weeks. The result is that he's been stinging the ball all over the place. The aptitude to make quick adjustments is obviously a large part of being a good hitter, which Beckham has shown here. Depending on the rest of the White Sox's offseason moves, he should be on the fast track to the second base job on the South Side.

Also, something to consider is that he isn't even playing every day and that makes hitting pretty difficult because it's tough to get your timing down.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 02:01 PM)
Does anybody know if he can handle the bat well enough to bat 2nd? Can he bunt or hit to the right side. Those skills might help him get to the majors quicker.

He's an ideal number #2 hitter. Terrific bat-handler, but it's not bunts we're going to be asking of him

I think he projects to bat 5th-6th in the order, maybe 3rd depending who else is in the lineup with him and how his power develops. Not a guy you want giving up outs by bunting, may have 20 HR power, and will make consistent contact. I think an ideal number two will work counts but doesnt significantly hurt your team by taking the bat out of his hands and asking him to bunt or move a runner over, I think having Beckham do those things makes your offense less productive. Omar Vizquel is a prototypical #2 hitter in my mind, a guy that handles the bat well, works pitching counts, puts the ball in play, and can move the run over.

I agree with TBolt... I think he'll start out down in the order when he comes up (7-8-9)...but eventually end up in the 2 hole. I honestly don't think it'll make any difference...once he's up and gets adjusted...he'll be successful. That whole "choppy swing" thing still cracks me up.

If the Sox continue to have the same dynamics when Beckham comes up, he'll most likely bat second. However, once Pauly, Jermaine, and Jim are gone, wasting Beckham's power in the 2 spot won't be ideal. And if Kenny constructs the team I think he wants, we'll already have our 1-2 hitters.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 11:16 AM)
I agree with TBolt... I think he'll start out down in the order when he comes up (7-8-9)...but eventually end up in the 2 hole. I honestly don't think it'll make any difference...once he's up and gets adjusted...he'll be successful. That whole "choppy swing" thing still cracks me up.

I think he'll be in the two hole or the 5 spot. He isnt going to hit for a ton of power, but has great strike zone recognition, will get on base at a good pace and hit into the gaps.