Article about Konerko & Texeira

joejoesox

http://fromthedugout.freedomblogging.com/2...a-konerko/5956/

One part I found interesting:

So is PECOTA likely to find the same troubling signs it found for Konerko, who aged quickly after he turned 30 and struggled badly last year, his fourth straight season of decline?

I don’t think so. Konerko hit free agency after 2005, his best season but, in many ways beneath the box score, an anomaly. Most notably, he quit hitting grounders — or, at least, he hit a lot fewer of them — and he became much more patient, seeing more pitches and drawing more walks. These changes showed up in ways large and small — he had a career low in double plays, a career high in walks, and the best OPS of his life. Everything went well for him. Was it a permanent breakout, or a fluke? Teams had to guess.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 08:13 AM)

Obviously, most of these stats geeks didn't follow the Sox.

Anyone could tell injuries were bothering Griffey and Konerko.

You give any hitter a hand injury, a rib cage/abdominal muscle pull/tear (that's the worst thing that can possible happen to a hitter IMO) and then the knee strain late in the season....I look at the consistent power and pop he had in the final six week as a true indicator, and his rededication and commitment to rigorous training and conditioning for the first time since he became a big leaguer and started to feel some of the effects of getting older.