Five weeks until first spring training game!!!

caulfield12

I was looking over the rosters recently and I came to the conclusion that this division is really, really bad. Just two years ago it looked like the strongest division in all of baseball (just about), but now it's full of mediocre teams and the Kansas City Royals. Personally I can't see any way in which the Twins will be able to hit .313 (or whatever ridiculously high number it was) with RISP again and therefore they are set to fall back to earth, the Tigers' pitching still isn't strong enough, we have holes all over the place and the Royals are the Royals... the Tribe win it by default.

Edited by Ozzie Ball

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
What are your predicted AL Central standings at this point?

1. Minnesota Twins, 92-70

2. Chicago White Sox, 85-77

3. Cleveland Indians, 84-78

4. Detroit Tigers, 80-82

5. KC Royals, 77-85

I'll tell you around October 1st. That way I'll be able to let everyone know I was right

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 11:17 AM)
I was looking over the rosters recently and I came to the conclusion that this division is really, really bad. Just two years ago it looked like the strongest division in all of baseball (just about), but now it's full of mediocre teams and the Kansas City Royals. Personally I can't see any way in which the Twins will be able to hit .313 (or whatever ridiculously high number it was) with RISP again and therefore they are set to fall back to earth, the Tigers' pitching still isn't strong enough, we have holes all over the place and the Royals are the Royals... the Tribe win it by default.

Well, let's discuss the Tribe weaknesses.

1) Absolutely no clarity after Lee and Carmona, and Lee is going to have trouble repeating...just like Danks. They don't even have a clear 3rd starter yet...they have Reyes, Lewis, Pavano, Jackson, Laffey and Sowers. Westbrook will probably be out as long as Contreras.

2) Their INF defense is absolutely brutal. DeRosa, Peralta and Victor Martinez if he is playing 1st. I guess Garko will get most of the time, with Martinez DHing eventually and Shoppach.

3) The defense of Victor Martinez if he is catching.

4) Travis Hafner? Will this be his last season or comeback of the year? Went from most dangerous hitter in Central to Luis Terrero. QUICKLY.

5) Their bullpen is chock full of holes everywhere you look...and health has never been a strong point of Kerry Wood. He goes down, the entire bullpen collpases around him in one giant implosion.

6) They weakened their outfield by trading Franklin Gutierrez in one of the stranger moves of the offseason. They have Ben Francisco, Sizemore and two platoon players that don't fit together (Delluci) and Shin-Soo Choo...although maybe Choo will finally have a breakthrough season as a full-time player.

7) Why do they still have Marte and Barfield on their roster?

8) Ryan Garko doesn't have enough power for 1B. Just kidding. He's a heckuva player in an underrated/underappreciated way, but very streaky.

1. Minnesota Twins, 92-70

2. Chicago White Sox, 85-77

3. Cleveland Indians, 84-78

4. Detroit Tigers, 80-82

5. KC Royals, 77-85

Unfortunately untl they move out of the dome, I give the title to the Twins.

1.) Minn in a runaway

2.) Detroit.

3. Cleveland.

4.) Sox

5.Royals

Could change if we sign Dunn or another starter.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 02:33 PM)
Unfortunately untl they move out of the dome, I give the title to the Twins.

1.) Minn in a runaway

2.) Detroit.

3. Cleveland.

4.) Sox

5.Royals

Could change if we sign Dunn or another starter.

Where would we put Dunn if we signed him today, even if it was for only $5 million?

Surely not CF? Because Quentin and Dye aren't playing there...we know that much. Or is this predicated on somehow trading Konerko/Thome?

I don't think you can guarantee Dunn's results in the NL, but I do think it would be at LEAST interesting to trade Konerko for Figgins, if we could sign Dunn for $5 million stick him at first.

That would give us Dunn (although how much would his defense hurt us with an already questionable infield at every position, particularly Fields and Ramirez...we have no idea what they can give us defensively right now), Figgins and a couple of million to play around with in savings for this year and then $15 million more opened up for 2010.

So, in essence....

Dunn (1B), Figgins (3B/CF, maybe 2B) and using that savings for Freddy Garcia OR Paul Konerko

Edited by caulfield12