Minor League Defensive Ratings

danman31

One of my friends pointed me to minorleaguesplits.com having defensive ratings up now. I'm not sure how new this is, but it was new to me. We've had several questions about how well our prospects play defense and this is one way to evaluate. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but it's worth taking a look at. Beyond the Box Score compiled a list of the top prospects by position. Brandon Allen made the first base list (link) and rates above average (go figure, that's not what we've been told.)

As for others, Gordon Beckham (link, click defense in the upper right) was apparently worth 4 runs, but it's a small sample size.

Getz has been above average at 2B, below average at SS.

Escobar was above average at SS.

Silverio sucked hard at SS last season.

Some good stuff. It will be interesting to see how Danks, Beckham and Viciedo rate out over a longer period of time. Obviously, these stats aren't perfect. One thing to note is that Minor League parks tend to be weirder so players can have drastically different home/away numbers. Either way, it's something to throw out there to try and get an idea of how good a player is defensively.