Pitching

hogan873

I know it may be premature to start critiqing, but that's what we do, right? With two games in the books and a 1-1 record, we can probably agree that the hitting doesn't look spectacular. Aside from Thome, who is hitting well and has the only HR so far, it's been a bit concerning. But, like I said, two games...you can't make a solid judgement yet.

Therefore, any positive remarks would also probably be looked at as premature. The pitching, at least in my opinion, looks pretty good. Buehrle's outing was described by some as "rough", and that may be accurate considering he had some trouble with control and plugged a couple batters. But giving up only two runs is not horrible. And let's not forget that most baseball experts are predicting the Royals to not be the Royals of recent. They are predicted to actually compete in the division...but which won't compete, right? Anyway, the relief pitching both Tuesday and Wednesday looked very good, and Floyd has a solid outing. Many times when a pitcher gives up 2 runs in seven innings he's going to win the game, provided some offense shows up.

So, the questions begs is the immediate evidence of solid pitching a harbinger of things to come or will there be a mid-season (or sooner) collapse? Let's hope that Contreras and Colon give us some good innings and neither blows anything out or passes out on the mound. I'm hopeful, and even optimistic of a good season for our pitching staff. The jury is still out on the hitting.

And, yes, you can disregard this post because we're only two games into a long season.

I loved the fact Jenks was hitting 96 on the gun Tuesday. He hadn't done that in April since he's been a White Sox, at least on the major league level. I really think the offense is going to be very inconsistent. The Sox are going to have to win games when they only score 2 or 3 runs.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 02:09 PM)
How this thread looks after Colon and Contreras get their starts is very important.

Even if they struggle in their starts...the big numbers for them this season is not their ERA, or their k's, or their performance in April...it's # of innings and # of games started.