Yanks Close To Acquiring Bartolo Colon

Chisoxfn

The Expos are denying it, but the package is expected to be Orlando Hernandez, Nick Johnson and Juan Rivera.

A comparable package by the Sox would be Wright, Carlos Lee, and Jeff Liefer.

Well, I think Wright ranks over Hernandez, plus he makes less money, while Lee ranks over a prospect, although Rivera is damn good, and then Liefer evens it out. Although, someone like Willie Harris could be involved instead of Liefer. That way the Expos have a replacement for when they deal jose Vidro.

Oh well, it would be a great move by the Yanks as they'd get a lot younger.

Of course Rivera should be playing in left for them for the next 10 years so I don't think they should trade him. Deal Johnson, he's over-rated, plus they have Giambi, but keep Rivera.

This would be an absolute fleecing by the Yanks. The Yanks have a horrible Farm System, and Rivera isn't THAT good of a prospect. If I were the Spos, I'd be asking for Brandon Claussen, Johnson, and Rivera.

I wouldn't give the 'Spos Harris, IMO. harris has way too much potential, and can fly down the line. Also, they wouldn't go for Liefer or Wright over El Duque or Johnson. You'd have to give them C Lee, and a good prospect (prolly Malone) with an INF (Hummel, Sandoval, etc).

But, if the 'Spos would ask:

"Lee, Malone, Hummel/Sandoval for Colon and a throwin" I'd take it, ONLY if we would lockup Colon long term. If we're getting Colon for 1 year, f*** it. I'd rather trade C Lee for a decent pitcher than blow away a good amount of talent for a guy on a decent team.

This is just like the Yankees. ALWAYS out to take ANYONE away from EVERYONE! f*** Steinbrunner and f*** THE YANKEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:****:****:****:****:****:****:****:****:****:****:****:****:****:**** you George Steinbrunner!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Originally posted by HeatherTheRedbird

This is just like the Yankees.  ALWAYS out to take ANYONE away from EVERYONE!  f*** Steinbrunner and f*** THE YANKEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:****:****:****:****:****:****:****:****:****:****:****:****:****:**** you George Steinbrunner!!!!  :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I wish GS owned the White Sox

Guest hotsoxchick1

come on now... tell me you guys didnt honestly think we would ever end up with colon????? i hate to tell ya i told you all so .. but....... I KEPT TELLING YOU ALL SO............ maybe next time youll listen.........lol

Originally posted by CubKilla
Originally posted by HeatherTheRedbird

This is just like the Yankees.  ALWAYS out to take ANYONE away from EVERYONE!  f*** Steinbrunner and f*** THE YANKEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:****:****:****:****:****:****:****:****:****:****:****:****:****:**** you George Steinbrunner!!!!  :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I wish GS owned the White Sox

me too :****

Originally posted by hotsoxchick1

come on now... tell me you guys didnt honestly think we would ever end up with colon????? i hate to tell ya i told you all so .. but....... I KEPT TELLING YOU ALL SO............ maybe next time youll listen.........lol

I was with you HSC. We know there was no way that cheap ass JR was gonna pony up the cash to sign a Colon. And we know KW isn't savvy enough of a GM to broker any big deals without a full-fledged "Shouldergate" type scandel. Sometimes I wonder why I keep cheering for this team. :mad:

Guest hotsoxchick1

lol killa i know your with me... i didnt mean that directed to you.... you and i both are wondering the same thing....why oh why do i subject myself to this each and every year for the past 30 something years now........:huh

Well if they did indeed offer Daal 2 mill a year and now they are going to end up saving somewhere around 3 mill if they move Foulke.

My math says that leaves 5 mill if they wanted to land a free agent starter or if they dealt Lee and his 4 mill deal that would be 9 mill.

To me this means we either get Colon, Byrd(if JR wants to spend all of that 5 he saves) or Daal(If he wants to do it the cheap way)

Guest hotsoxchick1

jas hate to break it to you this way but if you read what i did in this article then there is no big name on our horizion.......

White Sox report: Inside pitch

Nov. 26, 2002

"White Sox GM Kenny Williams says a wish list of starting pitchers was put together during the recent four-day organizational meetings.

Now the Sox are busy exploring which pitcher they can realistically land from a financial standpoint.

"We have a list of desired guys that we feel will fit in with our situation," Williams said. "And there is a point we will get to where we will make a decision on whether we will go with what is in-house rather than taking a name just for name's sake, just to make it look like we did something. We won't get into that game, if it reaches that."

But Williams knows that he needs more than just lefty ace Mark Buehrle to go along with young right-handers Jon Garland and Danny Wright.

Big-name hurlers like Tom Glavine, Roger Clemens and Greg Maddux are out of the question for the Sox. That knocks it down to the second tier of arms, which includes lefty Jamie Moyer and Paul Byrd.

Moyer, who is representing himself in his free agent search, is an appealing possibility to manager Jerry Manuel, who has always spoke respectfully of the veteran hurler. It doesn't hurt that the Sox could use another lefty in the rotation with Jim Parque awaiting final word on his release. And it doesn't hurt that Moyer has won 13 or more games the last seven years and is coming off a season in which he compiled a career-best 3.32 ERA.

The Sox are expected to add only one starter to the rotation unless they also acquire an arm through trade."

Nowhere in their does it say Byrd or Daal isn't an option and I'll take one of them happily.

I think Thomas goes, the Sox get money from that. Then they sign Byrd or Daal as well as an outfielder, say Hollandsworth who will compete with Liefer in left, and play ocassionaly for Rowand in center, while Lee splits Left and dh.

Guest hotsoxchick1

well byrd and daal werent exactly the big names i was trying to point out to you .....lol... i know colon wasnt mentioned but he ranks up there with maddux and clemens et el......dont ya think???

Well Yes and No. He only makes 6.5 mill which is way less then Maddux or Clemens, but if the Sox were to get him I'd want them to lock him long term which would cost Maddux money.

So I guess it depends on how you see it, short term or long term.

Also, I forgot to mention some of that money saved will definately go to Buerhle.

Guest hotsoxchick1

if they honestly intend on keeping mark around .. .some of that money saved had better go to him before he runs for the hills.........espically if they gave kelly 5+ mil........

Huh, Kelly 5 plus mill? You mean 500k...

Ya I am with you on that, I forgot about that and realized some of it must go to him, I say 4 mill a year.

Remember, they loose 4.5 mill when Manos leaves and then Carlos goes free, but I do think if Frank isn't here we have to lock Carlos back up, but for a cheaper price.

Guest hotsoxchick1

i say 5+ because it was like 587 or so wasnt it??? thats a definate plus in my book...lol... hes closer to 6 than mark is at the present time anyhow.......lol....i can do without carlos...hell we save more money there too.. theres alot of guys we can use as dh... bring on joe to play lf or move maggs over, whatever.. the positbilities are endless...

I say bring on Joe, let Maggs play, then lock up Lee for 2 to 3 more years where he can play in left on ocassions as well as DH.

He's a pretty solid player and their ain't many dh's that aren't that good out their.

Plus, the Sox will likely be finding a new infielder after next season as Valentin will be gone, so that is already one questionmark, and they may not have Rowand in center with someone else replacing him, which would be the second question mark, and then Borchard would be in the outfield as a 3rd questionmark, and I'd hate to see a 4th as the DH.

Originally posted by Chisoxfn

I say bring on Joe, let Maggs play, then lock up Lee for 2 to 3 more years where he can play in left on ocassions as well as DH.

He's a pretty solid player and their ain't many dh's that aren't that good out their.

Plus, the Sox will likely be finding a new infielder after next season as Valentin will be gone, so that is already one questionmark, and they may not have Rowand in center with someone else replacing him, which would be the second question mark, and then Borchard would be in the outfield as a 3rd questionmark, and I'd hate to see a 4th as the DH.

valentin will be here after next year... the sox will resign him for about 50% of what he makes now,,so that will be around 2.5 mil..who the hell else is gonna play SS???...jimenez???...gimme a break..we will spend atleast that much on another free agent SS so why not keep jose???..he's perfect for the sox..he comes cheap

Jose will be gone because the Sox will look to move Jimenez to short, if he produces this upcoming season, like I know he will.

Then the options will be Harris or Hummel at 2nd, but the Sox will definately look for a backup plan in the infield. Maybe that plan will be Jose, I sure hope not, because I'd love to bring in a better, more effecient defensive shortstop.

I'd love Matsui next year, but that ain't going to happen unless the Sox really draw this year.