5/21 Games

maggsmaggs

Here's some stuff on Gilmore coming out of high school...

http://www.perfectgame.org/players/playerp...e.aspx?ID=16827

Jon Gilmore is a 2007 SS/3B/P with a 6'3'', 195 lb. frame from Iowa City, IA, who attends City High. Gilmore has a great frame with present strength and athleticism. Defensively he has smooth actions at third base with good footwork. He has the range to make all the plays, and outstanding arm strength to make the play deep down the line. At the plate he has plus bat speed with raw power. Gilmore gets leverage at the point of contact and can drive the ball to all parts of the field. During game action, he hit balls very hard to the opposite field and back up the middle. Gilmore also showed the ability to stay on the breaking ball and hit it to the opposite field with authority. Great makeup and loves to play. Great upside to this already extremely talented player.

Another Scouting Reports:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/ev....jsp?mc=gilmore

And Some Video:

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/player/mp_tpl_3_1...cid=mlb&v=2

Flowers hit .302 in April. For about a week there the Barons' bats all seemed to go quiet, and that's dragged his May numbers down; he's hitting .224 with a .779 OPS in May. But, on the bright side, he's picking it back up; he's currently on a 5 game hitting streak and hitting .353 over that stretch.

QUOTE (almagest @ May 22, 2009 -> 11:23 AM)
30 BB, 34 K, .444 OBP, .464 SLG, .268 AVG, .908 OPS sounds pretty good to me, though I would like to see that batting average climb a bit. 30 BB/34 K is really encouraging.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 22, 2009 -> 03:08 PM)
Flowers also has a .455 OBP. Ya, I'd like to see him get his average up, but he's getting on base a helluva lot.

I'm not saying Flowers has been a disappointment, but I'm going to keep my excitement to a relative minimum until the guy can put up a solid batting average in AA. If he's hitting .268, I'm worried what he will do as he goes up the levels.

As for Gilmore, you can say he is too young to get down on, but he hasn't shown much to get excited about yet either. We'll see what happens, but he needs to keep this hot streak going because if you can't hit low A by your 3rd year in pro ball, it's not looking good for you. This is a guy with an atrocious K/BB as a pro so I feel as of right now I have a better argument saying he sucks than the people saying he will turn out well.