quick question......

Guest hotsoxchick1

Guest hotsoxchick1

how do you guys feel about b. koch??????

on monday the word is that we trade foulke, johnson and a minor to be named for koch.,.... hows that for yet another fine f*** up by kw????????:****

Originally posted by hotsoxchick1

on monday the word is that we trade foulke, johnson and a minor to be named for koch.,.... hows that for yet another fine f*** up by kw????????:****

not sure how i feel about that..koch had a very good yer last year while foulke struggled..but they both could revert back to '01 form where foulke was the better pitcher...thats probably what would happen with our luck....un like others..im not ready to give up on MJ yet...i still think he could develop into a pretty decent catcher

Man oh man, I'll be so pumped if the Sox made that move. Billy Koch was plain filthy last year. The guy isn't just a one inning closer either(Kind of like Foulke) and man can Koch throw the gas.

That would be an excellent pickup in my opinion, plus isn't Koch a bit younger and signed longer term?

Guest hotsoxchick1

i think hes up for arbritration this year.. but hes cheaper than foulke by 4 mil.......if your that hyped on him and think hes worth it... then i guess its ok.....i am more concerned on who the minor player is......i can only hope its not a miles, borchard, valentine almonte type........

see michelle, that is what I'm talking about

I could see where you wouldn't like this trade, but it isn't a bad trade by a long shot. Koch is still a high end closer and could be the power reliever we haven't had in some time.

wouldn't be a great trade, but it certantly wouldn't hurt us.

Originally posted by baggio202
Originally posted by hotsoxchick1

not sure how i feel about that..koch had a very good yer last year while foulke struggled..but they both could revert back to '01 form where foulke was the better pitcher...thats probably what would happen with our luck....un like others..im not ready to give up on MJ yet...i still think he could develop into a pretty decent catcher

I'll deal MJ in a heartbeat. I'm just thinking about Miguel Olivo. Better defensively and at the very worse he'd be just as good as MJ offensively.

I'm hoping its a nobody. Maybe at most a Mike Porzio, cause in all honesty he doesn't fit into the Sox plans with so many lefties already at the AA level or higher.

I don't want to see any of our younger more promising players going anywhere.

The one thing this move does do is free up salary as Foulke makes like 6 mill compared to the 2.35 Koch made last year.

Koch is eligible for arbitration this year, and will be eligible for the next 3 years.

I think that means he don't become a free agent for another 3 years, meaning the Sox will have exclusive rights to him. I'd offer him say 3 yr 12 mill and see if he takes it long term. THe Sox save a couple million this year and have a closer for the future since Koch is only 27.

He was 11-4 last year with 44 saves in 50 opportunities with a 3.27 era. He whiffed 93 in 93 innings.

In 2001, which was his worse season, he went 2-5 with a 4.80 era. The good news is the year before that he was 9-3 with a 2.63 era and 33 saves.

The guy's a-ok in my books. I like Keith a lot, but Koch is a much more typical closer and I know many complained about Keith losing it.

Hey Michelle, you got an insider on this, cause you've got me excited.

Guest hotsoxchick1

yes its an insider info thing, it was an early morning phone call today... i knew it was important cause noone ever calls me on an off day before 10 am unless they want to die or someone is dying or its urgent news.........lol.......as long as we dont have to give up a good minor (miles is up for free agency isnt he??? losing him is a scarry thought)... then i dont have many problems with this....foulke is overpaid in mho anyhow and i couldnt understand why johnson was still around ......although i would rather him than paul, but who knows whats down the line maybe paul is gone soon too??? todays only topics though were this koch deal and the frank being close to a deal with the o's.....it should be released in mondays press......and we should know a schu/ frank deal by tuesday from what i hear at the latest...........

Cool.

Ya, the Sox reupped with Miles so he'll be in the organization for at least another year.

This move makes a lot of sense on the Sox part as long as they don't give up a prospect. I love the idea of knowing we'll have a closer past this season cause I don't think Marte should close, I love havign a lefty setup man to go with a quality righty set up man, and I don't think any of the guys in the minors are ready to take over the duties of closer.

Plus you can never have too many arms in the pen, and Koch will immediately come in and add an extra dimmension of heat to the bullpen.

Guest hotsoxchick1

i hope your right.. i really havent followed koch too closely and just tonite read his bio and stats and such... his first couple of seasons werent all impressive but hes still young which leaves a lot of time for imporvement........if there is one thing that i like about this it is.. our pen sucks as it stands, so it can only help and not hinder us..........look im being positive for a change.........lol

Guest hotsoxchick1

well like i said i havent paid him much attention this past season.....ill start though i guess.. . i really have no choice now but to pay close attention.......lol

I know one thing, this move would make sense not only shorterm but longterm and could be a sign of an improvement out of KW.

He looks to be seeing the big picture now.

He see's he'll save enough money so he can add that starter JR wouldn't let him get, and then he also ensures that he will have a closer for 3 more years, instead of just one.

Seems good so far, but theirs got to be a catch...Please don't let their be a catch :D

couple of things

if koch is eligable for arbitration..then he will make atleast as much as foulke..so no savings there

MJ might not be the second comming of johhnny bench..but if he ends up playing behind miguel olivo as the back up he is probably better than 90% of the back up catchers in baseball...he's a lefty , he bunts and handles the bat real well and he is solid defensively...the alternative is josh paul and lee evans...dont underestimate the value of a solid defensive catcher as a back up...they start 2 games a week and get into atleast 2 more...thats alot of PT..i dont want it to go to a guy like paul or evans...

who is the minor leaguer bean will pry away from KW???...wouldnt surprise me if he pluck corwine malone from KW's grasp...billy bean loves young lefties...would you want the trade then??

KW dealing with billy bean???...no thanx..because we will be :****

And whats the whole point in this trade? Its like the David Wells trade. Were basically switching comodities. Ace for ace, closer for closer. And besides, I know Foulke can return to old and when he does so I know hell be a better pitcher than Koch. I dont like this trade at all. Go get something we need, KW.

And as for MJ, screw him. Trade him the first chance we get. Ive always hated MJ, he has no skill whatsoever.

Originally posted by theoldroman

And whats the whole point in this trade? Its like the David Wells trade. Were basically switching comodities. Ace for ace, closer for closer. And besides, I know Foulke can return to old and when he does so I know hell be a better pitcher than Koch. I dont like this trade at all. Go get something we need, KW.

And as for MJ, screw him. Trade him the first chance we get. Ive always hated MJ, he has no skill whatsoever.

What the hell did Mark Johnson ever do to you? Do you have a crush on another catcher, is that it?

This trade blows. Koch is not the guy you want in there with the game on the line. If the Sox do get him it won't be long before you people are all over him. Foulke had a lower ERA last year, and could have had just as many saves if Manuel didn't jerk him around. And don't think he won't do the same to Koch.

two things.

One, I'm with Baggio in that MJ isn't a bad catcher. he would be a strong backup for a few teams in the league.

Two, I don't think trading for Koch would be a bad trade. in fact, in comparing Koch and Foulke, I would rather have Koch for a closer. reason is Koch just seems to be more consistent. his whole thing is a 99-100 MPH fastball. Foulke is reliant on his changeup too much which has gotten him into a lot of trouble. I think with Koch he can just rear back and find a way out of a situation, but with Foulke, if he doesn't have it he doesn't have it.

I big reason for the deal in my opinion is by getting Koch, we have no questions going into the season in regards to who our closer will be. we keep Foulke and him and Marte will have to battle or rotate. I'm not against that at all, but that may be the reason for the move.

2 problems i see with this trade.

I dont trust KW if he's throwing a minor leaguer in there. I think MJ and Foulke are enough for Koch since he hasnt been consistantly dominant through the past few years.

A lot of guys on this team were pissed off to see Ray and JB go because they were clubhouse buddies. Most of the 2000 team is gone anyway so that might not matter.

Originally posted by Molto

two things.

One, I'm with Baggio in that MJ isn't a bad catcher.  he would be a strong backup for a few teams in the league.

Two, I don't think trading for Koch would be a bad trade.  in fact, in comparing Koch and Foulke, I would rather have Koch for a closer.  reason is Koch just seems to be more consistent.  his whole thing is a 99-100 MPH fastball.  Foulke is reliant on his changeup too much which has gotten him into a lot of trouble.  I think with Koch he can just rear back and find a way out of a situation, but with Foulke, if he doesn't have it he doesn't have it. 

I big reason for the deal in my opinion is by getting Koch, we have no questions going into the season in regards to who our closer will be.  we keep Foulke and him and Marte will have to battle or rotate.  I'm not against that at all, but that may be the reason for the move.

MJ is not that good. He's terrible for a #1 draft pick and all the hype he got.

Thank you Mike.

I don't understand the sudden love for Mark Johnson.

I have watched many games and he is nothing special behind the plate. He doesn't have a great arm, and he's only decent at blocking the balls.

I know Paul is worse, but how much worse, not that much to me. Plus, Paul can bunt, and handle a bat pretty well himself.

Still, I'd love to see them bring in a veteran backstup for 500 k or so.