Why do you not see lateral moves?

Princess Dye

I know it's not the NBA with its luxury tax, but still.....

...... we regard Linebrink as untradeable. And it's probably true. But why cant we just move him for another guy who's underperforming, perhaps on a slightly more palatable deal?

You never see those deals in MLB.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 06:10 PM)
Well i guess Garza/Delmon but it's a different situation than what i'd like to see happen with Brink.

Unless Delmon starts raising the OPS towards .800, I don't see how that is not a backwards move for the Twins. He is 23 though, so who knows.

A few years back the Angels traded Mo Vaughn to the Mets for Kevin Appier. Appier had a big contract as did big fat Mo but the teams just were swapping bad contracts. It happens, maybe not as much as it does in basketball, but that is because you don't have a cap, imo.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 03:37 PM)
A few years back the Angels traded Mo Vaughn to the Mets for Kevin Appier. Appier had a big contract as did big fat Mo but the teams just were swapping bad contracts. It happens, maybe not as much as it does in basketball, but that is because you don't have a cap, imo.

Also, the fact that baseball has the ability for teams to include money helps too. Think about the Red Sox selling off their SS's. They got actual people back because they paid most of their contracts.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 05:14 PM)
Unless Delmon starts raising the OPS towards .800, I don't see how that is not a backwards move for the Twins. He is 23 though, so who knows.

Yea, I was referring more to what it was at the time of the deal.

Minny traded a 4ish ERA pitcher with some unfulfilled promise (he had started to fulfill finally at that point)......for a guy who was very highly regarded as a prospect that just hadnt delivered on his power promise and hasnt

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 04:22 PM)

Minny traded a 4ish ERA pitcher with some unfulfilled promise (he had started to fulfill finally at that point)......for a guy who was very highly regarded as a prospect that just hadnt delivered on his power promise and hasnt

There was more to that trade than that though...it was really also a case of Tampa counting players and saying "We have 5 guys in our OF and maybe 4 starting pitchers until Price is ready" while the Twins counted and said "We have big holes in the OF and 6+ young starting pitchers".

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 04:22 PM)

Danks for McCarthy.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 04:08 PM)
I know it's not the NBA with its luxury tax, but still.....

...... we regard Linebrink as untradeable. And it's probably true. But why cant we just move him for another guy who's underperforming, perhaps on a slightly more palatable deal?

You never see those deals in MLB.

Borchard for Matt Thornton...

Anderson for Kotsay

Broadway for Castro