Hudson, Gartrell promoted to Charlotte...

JPN366

. Hudson has an incredible upside; I have his trajectory as a solid #2-#3 starter.

Wait, how's "solid 2-3 starter" translate to "incredible upside".

Not to split hairs, but Stephen Straussburg and that Cuban Lefty have upsides that are remotely close to incredible level.

Is Hudson that good? Is he really topping out at 98? I mean, I know he throws 4 pitches and all.... but so did Josh Fogg and Matt Guerrier.

Oney Guillen > Dan Hudson

Oney went from Great Falls to Charlotte in the same season.

Yes, but Oney also got b****-slapped by Brian Anderson's younger brother at a bar during an imprompu drinking contest (which is, btw, the real reason why Ozzie still holds a mega-grudge against Brian.)

QUOTE (Fedor @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 03:13 PM)
Yes, but Oney also got b****-slapped by Brian Anderson's younger brother at a bar during an imprompu drinking contest (which is, btw, the real reason why Ozzie still holds a mega-grudge against Brian.)

Did your read that in the Enquirer?

Adam Ricks was moved up to Charlotte, so that alleviates the question of platooning Armstrong and Flowers. One can catch, the other can DH, and you're not in trouble if the one catching gets hurt with Ricks.

QUOTE (Fedor @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 04:10 PM)
Wait, how's "solid 2-3 starter" translate to "incredible upside".

Not to split hairs, but Stephen Straussburg and that Cuban Lefty have upsides that are remotely close to incredible level.

Is Hudson that good? Is he really topping out at 98? I mean, I know he throws 4 pitches and all.... but so did Josh Fogg and Matt Guerrier.

Wait, since when is a prospect being a potentially solid number # 2 anything less than great? There are select few aces in this game, Hudson isn’t quite going to get there, but he’s going to be a damn good pitcher if everything works itself out.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 07:21 PM)
Wait, since when is a prospect being a potentially solid number # 2 anything less than great? There are select few aces in this game, Hudson isn’t quite going to get there, but he’s going to be a damn good pitcher if everything works itself out.

Pitchers who are #2/#3 starters in the Bigs get called "aces" all the time anyway. Even being a #3/#4 in the Majors is very, very good - especially when you're talking about a young pitcher you can control for 6 years at an average cost of about 25% or less of actual market value.

Pitchers who are #2/#3 starters in the Bigs get called "aces" all the time anyway. Even being a #3/#4 in the Majors is very, very good - especially when you're talking about a young pitcher you can control for 6 years at an average cost of about 25% or less of actual market value.

Kenny, quick question on this. I think you might know. Huddie signed in 2008 and this is his first full year in MILB. But those 3 months of service time count (2008) towards his 6 year contract right? Here is my question:

1. 2008 - 3 months service time MILB

2. 2009 - 1 full year service time MILB

3. 2010 - Projected 1 full year service time MLB

4. 2011 - Projected 1 full year service time MLB

5. 2012 - Projected 1 full year service time MLB

6. 2013 - Projected 1 full year service time MLB

7. 2014 - ???

** All his MLB year are just hypothetical **

Which years from 2012-2014 are arb years and which are really under control and what the Sox pay him according to the CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement) which classifies him as a

non Free Agent until after the 2014 season? Since he signed the contract in July/Aug of 2008 does it run exactly 6 years to the date into the same month in 2014 or until the end of the 2014 season?

See this is the confusing part as many draft players sign between the draft at the end of June and before the signing deadling of Aug 17th which is still before the end of the MLB season. Players generally sign 6 year initial contracts as prospects out of the draft is what I understand.

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 12:16 AM)
Kenny, quick question on this. I think you might know. Huddie signed in 2008 and this is his first full year in MILB. But those 3 months of service time count (2008) towards his 6 year contract right? Here is my question:

7. 2014 - ???

Which years from 2012-2014 are arb years and which are really under control and what the Sox pay him according to the CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement) which classifies him as a

non Free Agent until after the 2014 season? Since he signed the contract in July/Aug of 2008 does it run exactly 6 years to the date into the same month in 2014 or until the end of the 2014 season?

See this is the confusing part as many draft players sign between the draft at the end of June and before the signing deadling of Aug 17th which is still before the end of the MLB season. Players generally sign 6 year initial contracts as prospects out of the draft is what I understand.

Once a player is in the majors, the 6 years starts. The only exception is if a player signs a contract that excludes a team from offering him aribtration and at that point the team loses there exclusive rights. There are some ways to get more time out of a player based upon when you call him up though.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 02:16 AM)

7. 2014 - ???

Service time begins when a player hits the Majors, but it doesn't necessarily go in "years." Service time goes by days - not games or appearances - on the active MLB roster, with 172 I believe (have to check that) being considered one year of service time. A player could theoretically spend 10 days on the roster 1 year, then 20 on the roster in a second year, then 10 more on the roster in a third year, but in the end he's only got 40 days of service time, not 3 years service time.

MILB stuff only counts when a player signs a MLB contract (which Hudson didn't) because then the player has to be put on the 40-man roster, and each season that the player appears on the 40-man counts against an option year (if he has been optioned to the minors). Other than that, there's a 6-year (I believe) minor league period as well where after that period, if a player isn't added to the 40-man, he becomes a minor league free agent. There's also the minor league phase of the Rule-5 which is basically put in place to keep clubs from holding down players in leagues they've overgrown, but none of this stuff matters concerning Hudson. MILB time doesn't affect him in any case.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects