The Koch trade

Soxplosion

Well, one person from the MLB board says the trade is imminent yet neither of the two teams official sites says anything about it and the As board also said nothing. Yet the As board is completely consumed in the race for the Worlds Longest Thread so not much help there. So do any of yall think this will happen or is somebody just pulling our leg?I dont know, I think theres a good chance it will happen and Id actually kinda like it. Foulke is a real whiner and his showing this past year was subpar yet he did rehabilitate himself plenty towards the end. And like others have said when Foulkes stuff doesnt break and he doesnt have it hes screwed. Koch is a real closer, just pure power. I think this is a good trade. And whatever with MJ, hes been here long enough, he shouldnt even be in the bigs anymore...

We have Olivo. Im sure this prospect will quickly make MJ news of the past, given the Koch trad happens. Maybe hes a good backup but all he would be doing is resting Olivo occasionally but Olivo has equal defense, a better arm and a MUCH BETTER BAT. MJs career lack of offense is unacceptable.

Its coming from Michelle and she knows her stuff so I'm with her 100% on this.

Michelle is one of the smartest baseball fans I know, and a huge huge Sox fan. I may disagree with her on a lot of stuff, mainly because we look at things differently, ie she's much more of a realist then me because she's in the city while I get the news from farther away. Still, HSC knows her stuff so I definately believe this is possible.

Hopefully it happens as long as its not a top prospect we are giving up. I can live with giving up Porzio or Ginter but no one good.

Originally posted by theoldroman

Well, one person from the MLB board says the trade is imminent yet neither of the two teams official sites says anything about it and the As board also said nothing. Yet the As board is completely consumed in the race for the Worlds Longest Thread so not much help there. So do any of yall think this will happen or is somebody just pulling our leg?I dont know, I think theres a good chance it will happen and Id actually kinda like it. Foulke is a real whiner and his showing this past year was subpar yet he did rehabilitate himself plenty towards the end. And like others have said when Foulkes stuff doesnt break and he doesnt have it hes screwed. Koch is a real closer, just pure power. I think this is a good trade. And whatever with MJ, hes been here long enough, he shouldnt even be in the bigs anymore...

Yeah. Foulke losing the closer role after 2 or 3 blown saves earlier on in 2002 qualifies him as a whiner. . This hardly qualifies him as a whiner. Tom Gordon was a whiner. Keith Foulke handled his demotion like a pro. Man..... Sox fans are fickle. TRADE FRANK (arguably the best offensive producer of the 90's)! FOULKE'S A WHINER! Get real. :****

Guest hotsoxchick1

well thanks guys for the love, i appreciate it.... actually if i werent so sure that this is even a remote possibility and had i heard it from just some joe schmoe i would not have said a word... but the people i have talked to in the past couple of days say this is a done deal, hence the reason i figured me posting it would prepare you all for the move......i know that posting stuff like this is pretty much a crap shot since deals have a way of falling apart at the last minute, but from what i hear its pretty much done and over with except for the public announcement......thats why i figured i would play kw for a change and roll the dice and let it be known......lol.....

Guest hotsoxchick1

and to think all that cash i usually spend on my season tickets could at least afford a portion of someones salary......geez maybe i should start my own team huh.........lol

we won't be saving any money really, if you compare things to last seasons.

foulke's 6 mil is his pay for 2003, he got paid 4 mil in 2002. so really we are exchanging close to 5 mil in salary for Koch, who will likely make about 4-5 mil after arbitration. so we really don't save money, if anything maybe a mil tops.

the plus side to this is we'll have Koch, someone who wants to close, for a few years.

and like I said before, Foulke and Koch are no different in terms of the numbers they will put up, but the reason for Foulke's success is his changeup. when his changeup isn't there, he gets lit up. success for Koch is his fastball, which can get to 101 at times.

100 MPH fastball seems more of a sure bet on a day in and day out basis than a changeup. of course Koch has had his share of blown games too, but I don't think we'll see long stretches where Koch is just bad.

if this trade doesn't happen, I don't think we are any worse or better. I think the Sox are looking at getting a set closer for a few years. by getting Koch, they don't have to worry about having a ST battle between Marte and Foulke, because Koch will close, period.

it is a pretty strange deal. like some have already said, we need some starting pitching, and this seems to be the only thing that has come up, a trade for a closer. perhaps we will see another move during the meetings. we need to sign or trade for a pitcher.

Ya, but a million bucks is still a good amount of money, consdering that JR seems to hate spending any money, so when he saves a bit their, it could just mean he could up the offer on Daal.

Plus, you can't just think one year at a time and I'm very impressed that for once KW would be making a move that would keep the team just as good in the present, but make them better over time.

I'd hate going into next season looking at Marte or hoping Valentine or Almonte can become a closer. I'll stick with a proven guy like Koch and let the others develop as set up men/middle relievers.