Give Getz a shot

RockRaines

JD is more used to hitting later in the Sox lineup than in the #3 hole. If you remember, he didn't hit #3 in 2005 until late September, and it was the right move. Then last season, he didn't have any problem with Quentin taking the #3 hole, with Dye following Konerko and Thome. JD isn't going to rock the boat. He's going to give the Sox what he has when they call on him. Problem is he doesn't seem to have much at the moment.

Of course, Rios isn't going to give us what JD hits when he's on, but he's at least going to vastly improve the D, add some speed, and give JD (and others) enough rest so he (they) can bounce back.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 07:51 PM)
You give the guy with the most speed and best OBP the shot at leading off and that's Gordon Beckham.

Yes, but Beckham's strengths also lend itself strongly to the two-hole. This is from a BTBS post about Tom Tango's sabermetric thoughts on lineup construction from THE BOOK.

"The Books says the #2 hitter comes to bat in situations about as important as the #3 hitter, but more often. That means the #2 hitter should be better than the #3 guy, and one of the best three hitters overall. And since he bats with the bases empty more often than the hitters behind him, he should be a high-OBP player. Doesn't sound like someone who should be sacrificing, does it?" http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2009/3/17...-your-lineup-by

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 06:56 PM)
Yes, but Beckham's strengths also lend itself strongly to the two-hole. This is from a BTBS post about Tom Tango's sabermetric thoughts on lineup construction from THE BOOK.

"The Books says the #2 hitter comes to bat in situations about as important as the #3 hitter, but more often. That means the #2 hitter should be better than the #3 guy, and one of the best three hitters overall. And since he bats with the bases empty more often than the hitters behind him, he should be a high-OBP player. Doesn't sound like someone who should be sacrificing, does it?" http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2009/3/17...-your-lineup-by

So you'd rather bat Getz and his .320 OBP first?

Getz would be a good leadoff candidate if his OBP was at least .345, but at .320, it seems a bit too low.

Thing is, there's really no other candidates to leadoff better than Beckham (other than Podsednik, but we're leaving him out of this right now). That's why I think he should do it.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 07:25 PM)
But you don't have your #2 OPS guy leading off, and that's also Gordon Beckham.

I thought he was our #3 OPS guy behind Dye and Thome.

Whatever the case may be, I'd rather see our fastest OBP guy leadoff. Hit Alexei second if we need to.

Jayson Nix might also be a good idea to leadoff. He will take a walk if he needs to.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 05:28 PM)
I thought he was our #3 OPS guy behind Dye and Thome.

Whatever the case may be, I'd rather see our fastest OBP guy leadoff. Hit Alexei second if we need to.

Dye has fallen to third now.

Beckham has 19 doubles in just 60 games. Hitting him leadoff means fewer runs driven in.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 07:33 PM)
Dye has fallen to third now.

Beckham has 19 doubles in just 60 games. Hitting him leadoff means fewer runs driven in.

Not to mention we've already asked a s***ton from this kid. I'd feel more comfortable moving him to 3 than to 1.

LF Podsednik

3B Beckham

RF Quentin

DH Thome

1B Konerko

C Pierzynski

CF Rios

SS Ramirez

2B Getz

I presume Quentin could handle RF since he has a cannon. If he cannot, fine, Pods in center and Rios in right. You rock this for the time being until JD pulls his head out of his ass. He's done this before.

Edited by Steve9347