Contreras to start again?

Princess Dye

QUOTE (jamesdiego @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 12:09 AM)
For some reason I feel very good about Jose manana. This will be the turning point of the season for the better. We're gonna get our confidence back and put on a nice streak. Balls to the wall, back to the playoffs. That or we'll get rained out and our season is done for.

Off just a little bit.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 07:07 PM)
Hudson has been throwing A LOT of pitches lately as he adjusts to AAA. Starting him against the Yankees is not only a bad idea, it puts him in a position to fail, not succeed. I think Chisoxfn made a more eloquent expression of this in another thread.

So? Why is this a problem? Kid needs to fail at somepoint, doesn't he?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 01:21 AM)
So? Why is this a problem? Kid needs to fail at somepoint, doesn't he?

The issue is that he's not quite ready yet. If it takes him a lot of pitches to get through AAA lineups, do you really want him lasting 3-4 innings at Yankee Stadium in a "must win" game for the Sox?

In his AAA starts:

@ IND - 4 IP (84 pitches)

vs NOR - 7 IP (96 pitches)

@ DUR - 5 IP (91 pitches)

@ GWN - 5 IP (105 pitches)

I don't think one bad outing is going to ruin the guy, but I also don't think it gives him much of a chance at succeeding. I don't really see the point in throwing our best pitching prospect to the wolves when it's clear he's not quite ready.

Furthermore, the Sox wanted yesterday's starter to give some innings. Clearly the Count failed miserably at this, but it is really hard to look at those AAA numbers and expect Hudson to help an already taxed bullpen.