Baseball Card Thread

Guest wsc425

Rex, do you have doubles?? I'm interested in Sox Cards. I don't have any of 1988, or 1984 and back or 1993 forward. I have a binder dedicated to the sox, but i'm missing some years, would love to make a bigger binder.

Josh, I don't even know where the cards i have left are. Most likely up in my parents attic or something (how many times have you heard that story? lol).

When I was a youngin, my mom made me give away all my cards because they were just sitting in a grocery bag (this was before plastic sheets and holders became the norm) taking up space. The two bags I gave away had mostly 1975-1977 cards in them.

Then, I started collecting again and buying old cards, one at a time. I had a nice little stack of about 30 cards or so which included all the best players from the 1960's. I had a '65 Mantle and Mays, a '66 Rose, '60 Aaron and Musial, '67 Bob Gibson and so on. I had them all from Koufax and Drysdale to Marichal and Whitey Ford.

So as any dumb 12 or 13 year old would do, I sold them because I wanted an Atari (insert joke here). The asshole that bought them talked me down to $75 for the stack too. I was asking $125. I still shake my head at what those cards would be worth today, not only $$ but just having them. Hell, i'd probably have them framed. lol

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't Carlton Fisk's rookie in 1972? Wasn't Cecil Cooper on that card as well or am i thinking of someone else. I know Cooper had someone else that was also a great player on his rookie card. I was a big Coop fan back in the early 80's.

I had one of those, but have no idea where it is now. :angry:

I have a s***load of rookie cards. I have Robin's Rookie Card, like 10 Frank Thomas Rookie Cards, A Maggs rookie card, and others.

My most valuable and precious card is not a White Sox card unfortunately, but I looked it up and it costs over $5,000. Its a REAL Hank Aaron Autographed Rookie Card. I thank my grandpa for that one!

Guest wsc425
The oldest complete set I have is 1983 Topps ... it has Sandburg, Gwynn and Boggs rookies.  I know the special inserts and stuff are what's hot now.  That is what drove me out of collecting. I collected as more of a fan than a collector.  I have never sold any card unless I used the money to buy a another card.

80.00 set buddy! nice job!

Guest wsc425
I have Robin Ventura card from Team USA.  Don't remember what brand, but I think it's an '89 vintage.  Probably Topps.

tough man...only 3 quarters

Guest wsc425
70,80,90's i did some collecting, what i was concertating on was rookie cards, like i got 8 wayne gretzy rookie, 2 ernie banks, fisk and so forth. i stop in 93 and been thinking of starting up again.,

What kinda cards? Topps? Bowman? I could check to see how much they are worth.

Collect again, the passion is great.

Guest wsc425
wsc425 .. forgot to answer one of your questions.  I have every Fisk card I could ever find.  I have over 100 different issues.

Any RC's?

Guest wsc425
Recently I found a Neal Cotts card I didn't know I had. It was from a box of 2001 UD prospects I bought a while ago. I got the box cause it was only like $20 and it had a memorabilia card (wound up with an Eddie Murray bat card).

Other memorabilia cards I have, Chipper Jones bat card, Delgado autographed bat card, Glavine bat card (guy at the card store was so pissed, cause I only bought one pack), Clemens Red Sox jersey card, Antwaan Randle El rookie jersey, and Ron Dugans rookie autograph jersey. The clerk thought I was a sucker for buying it, but oh if he only knew how much I loved the '99 FSU team he could have driven the price much higher.

I go through three-week stretches where I buy cards like mad and then forget about them for a year or two.

Cotts-1.00

Murray-15.00

Other memorabilia cards I have, Chipper Jones bat card, Delgado autographed bat card, Glavine bat card (guy at the card store was so pissed, cause I only bought one pack), Clemens Red Sox jersey card, Antwaan Randle El rookie jersey, and Ron Dugans rookie autograph jersey. The clerk thought I was a sucker for buying it, but oh if he only knew how much I loved the '99 FSU team he could have driven the price much higher.-Out of what and what is the card number. What is the pack year?

Guest wsc425
I used to collect, but I stopped mostly due to lack of $$.  I kept wasting all my money on cards.  Being a teenager it didn't really matter, but I need money more now.  I'll probably start collecting again though.  I found baseball to be the hardest to find good cards because there are so many players and only so few that have value.  My best baseball cards are Barry Zito and Mark Mulder SP top prospects cards.  I still can't believe I got those 2 in the same pack.  My best card is an Upper Deck Slam Kenyon Martin Extra Strength 2 (type of insert) rookie card, it's #1 out of 25.  I don't know it's value, but I heard that it being #1 doubles it's value.  I think it's somewhere in the $150 range then, but I could be way off.  I'm thinking about grading it because it's in good shape, then I could raise it's price and sell it.  :headbang

Anyway, I think this thread is more for the off topic board...

Awesome. Hopefully it grades a decent 8.5. If you told me exact card numbers and years I could look it up for u.

Guest wsc425
i have a shoebox full of ken griffey rookie cards.... damn, they could have been worth a bundle :angry:

Still are worth a bundle my friend. Name some of what you have the company and the number plus year.

Guest wsc425
I'm with you Yasny, the card collecting game changed when all of a sudden there were 15 companies producing them, they went to $5 a pack and all the special insert cards and series started.  It became too confusing. 

It used to be fun to try and complete a set, buying them pack by pack.  I hung in there when Donruss and Fleer joined the fray.  When Upper Deck hopped in there, then Bowman again, Score, and Topps started the Stadium Club,  yada, yada yada, I had to get out. 

I do have the Barons 2003 team set, however.  Very reminiscient (sp?) of the 1975 Topps set (Brett, Yount, Rice and Lynn rookies)...  :D

Start collecting again.

1975 Topps set=700.00!

Not sure of the set of minors.

Guest wsc425
that is what i am afraid of, when i get back in, which companies do i get. too many companies right now.

Talk to me about it.

Guest wsc425
I have Doubles of the 1989 Donruss Ken Griffy Jr Rookie Card

Thing is, I have a lot of good cards but I dont know where I can sell them to get rid of them

I got a bunch of good Frank Thomas cards too and I know one of them was worth like 15 dollars a couple years ago..

I have been lookin for a place to get rid of these things but I dont know where they are anymore

Talk to me and I'll buy em. The Donruss Griffey's book for 20

Guest wsc425
The 1990 Leaf rookie card of Frank used to be worth like $60, but I'm sure the value has dropped since then.

Poor dude. Its now 15

I'm with you Yasny, the card collecting game changed when all of a sudden there were 15 companies producing them, they went to $5 a pack and all the special insert cards and series started.  It became too confusing. 

It used to be fun to try and complete a set, buying them pack by pack.  I hung in there when Donruss and Fleer joined the fray.  When Upper Deck hopped in there, then Bowman again, Score, and Topps started the Stadium Club,  yada, yada yada, I had to get out. 

I do have the Barons 2003 team set, however.  Very reminiscient (sp?) of the 1975 Topps set (Brett, Yount, Rice and Lynn rookies)...  :D

Start collecting again.

1975 Topps set=700.00!

Not sure of the set of minors.

Does anyone remember the 1975 set that had the mini cards in the packs? They had mini sized versions of several players regular card inserted into sets. They were roughly 60% the size of the other cards.

Also, anyone remember the cards on the bottom of the boxes of Hostess snack cakes? :D

I still get a kick out of my Fleer Billy Ripken "f*** Face" card. Cal is such a cut-up :rolleyes: .

I have the McGwire, ShamME, Griffey Jr., Grace, and Ventura rookies just to name a few. I have the complete Topps set and Rookie/Traded Player sets from 1989-91.

Card collecting and card prices aren't what they used to be. Too many into the hobby now-a-days but there is still a decent buck to be made depending on what era, type, and conditions of cards you have.

Other memorabilia cards I have, Chipper Jones bat card, Delgado autographed bat card, Glavine bat card (guy at the card store was so pissed, cause I only bought one pack), Clemens Red Sox jersey card, Antwaan Randle El rookie jersey, and Ron Dugans rookie autograph jersey. The clerk thought I was a sucker for buying it, but oh if he only knew how much I loved the '99 FSU team he could have driven the price much higher.-Out of what and what is the card number. What is the pack year?

Alright if you wanna look em up...

Chipper Jones: 2002 Fleer Ultra Hitting Machines

Carlos Delgado: 2001 Upper Deck SP game bat (S-CD)

Tom Glavine: 2001 Upper Deck Ovation "A Piece of History" (TG)

Roger Clemens: 2001 Topps Gold Label MLB Award Ceremony (GLR-RC1)

Antwaan Randle El: 2002 Upper Deck Rookie Honor Roll (RHR-EL)

Ron Dugans: 2000 Upper Deck SPx (#151)

Guest wsc425
I still get a kick out of my Fleer Billy Ripken "f*** Face" card. Cal is such a cut-up  :rolleyes: .

I have the McGwire, ShamME, Griffey Jr., Grace, and Ventura rookies just to name a few. I have the complete Topps set and Rookie/Traded Player sets from 1989-91.

Card collecting and card prices aren't what they used to be. Too many into the hobby now-a-days but there is still a decent buck to be made depending on what era, type, and conditions of cards you have.

What kind of rookies are they? Topps, Bowman, UD, Donruss?

Topps 1989-15.00

Topps 1990-not listed? error?

Topps 1991-15.00

Guest wsc425

Chipper HM-6.00 or Hitting Machines Bat-25.00

Carlos-40.00

Glavine--20.00

Clemens---30.00

Randle El-no football listed

Dugans-15.00

Chipper HM-6.00 or Hitting Machines Bat-25.00

Carlos-40.00

Glavine--20.00

Clemens---30.00

Randle El-no football listed

Dugans-15.00

what does a rookie card for wayne gretzy worth. ud?