Sox sign a Brent Hodges?

MnSoxFan

Found this is Sox Minor League transactions under Great Falls

07/15/03 Brent Hodges -- New Contract

We took a very highly rated kid in 13th round named Wes Hodges. Any ideas if this is same kid??? I think he may be one of the top players we picked if you read up on him. Hope he is one in the same, probably not.

Hodges played 2B last nite for Great Falls ... the kid Wes Hodges is listed as a SS.

Looks like a decent outing for both Dennis Ulacia and Rylan Reed last nite, even though GF lost 3-1.

Ulacia had 7 K's and no walks, Reed walked one in four innings of work.

Reed seems to be getting a lot of work lately. He's an intriguing kid ... huge, I think 6'7 or so, really good fastball. They've had him down at the rookie ball level for two years now. My impression is he was really raw when they drafted him and he's learning how to pitch. If the coaches can harness his talent, he may have a future as a reliever or even closer. I've heard it said by a couple of people that once he learns to consistently repeat his delivery, he's got a shot because his fastball and slider are quality.

This is his 3rd season in Rookie ball, if he can get it together, maybe he can make it. Someone on another thread said he throws high 90s to 100. No way. He is big and throws hard, but not that hard. I have liked him, wish he could progress.

You're right, I heard he tops out at 94-95. Not too shabby though!

He was the kid who had the football scholarship to U. of Arkansas as a tight end and signed with the Sox instead. He'll be 22 in November. Time for him to get challenged at a higher level.

the kid Wes Hodges is listed as a SS.

Hodges played SS in high school, but I'm pretty sure we'd use him as a 3B if we sign him. And, if he does sign he'll probably be sent to Bristol instead of Great Falls for two reasons: 1. G.F. already has Schnurstein(and Gray can play 3B too)

2. Hodges would just be coming out of high school, so we'd probably send him to the lower rookie league affiliate first.

I think the idea of it being a brother makes sense.

Actually, that would be a pretty good idea to sign his brother. That's kind of what we did when we drafted Paul Moviel, we just wanted to have a better chance of signing his brother Greg.

Actually, that would be a pretty good idea to sign his brother.  That's kind of what we did when we drafted Paul Moviel, we just wanted to have a better chance of signing his brother Greg.

yeah but it is not working yet or may not work at all.