Draft Preview: High School Pitchers, Part 2

Ozzie Ball

Tyrell Jenkins, RHP, Henderson HS (TX)

Tyrell Jenkins is a phenomenal athlete who's loaded with physical projection. He shows a dynamite fastball/curve combo to go along with a fringe average slider and a work in progress changeup. His fastball sits low 91-94, touching 96 with great sink and projects to be a plus pitch, as does his curve, which sits 81-84. Jenkins' control and command are both below average but he has a lot of potential and room for growth. Jenkins is also a 3 star football recruit who has signed a letter of intent to play QB at Baylor, so he's unlikely to be a cheap sign.

Projected draft position: Late 1st - Early 2nd Round.

Zach Lee, RHP, McKinney HS (TX)

Zach Lee throws a low 90's fastball that can touch 95 with good, clean mechanics. There is solid projection left in his 6'3", 190 lbs frame. Lee's secondary pitches, a potential plus breaking ball and change, both need work but flash some promise. The breaking ball is ahead of the change at this point. Lee offers good upside, especially if he can add a couple of ticks to the fastball. He would probably be in the first round discussion but he has a football scholarship to LSU, which may make him un-signable, and in which case he would slide way down the draft.

Projected draft position: Supplemental 1st - 4th Round.

Griffin Murphy, LHP, East Valley HS (CA)

Robbie Ray, LHP, Brentwood HS (TN)

Aaron Sanchez, RHP, Barstow HS (CA)

Jordan Shipers, LHP, South Harrison HS (MO)

DeAndre Smelter, RHP, Tattnall Square Academy (GA)

Peter Tago, RHP, Dana Hills HS (CA)

Jameson Taillon, RHP, The Woodlands HS (TX)

A.J. Vanegas, RHP, Redwood Christian HS (CA)

Taijuan Walker, RHP, Yucaipa HS (CA)

Karsten Whitson, RHP, Chipley HS (FL)

Kevin Ziomek, LHP, Amherst Regional HS (MA)

Continued...

Jameson Taillon is the big name here, despite a so-so spring he's probably the no.2 talent is the draft behind Harper, although it doesn't sound like he's going no.2 at this point.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 14, 2010 -> 03:27 PM)
Thanks.

Interesting. Legit high school bat. Hadn't even considered him really. I'm sure many would prefer Wilson over him though.

I like Sale.. alot. But ya I would prefer the upside of Wilson mostly, but I also agree with you DS that we will indeed draft a pitcher first anyway. I would prefer Sale in the supp. rounds if I had the choice however.

QUOTE (NHDadUmp-RI @ May 14, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)
Josh Sale.

Welcome to soxtalk! :cheers :cheers

Edited by SoxAce