SoxNet: Former Illinois State Redbird to Join White Sox Farm

Molto

Guest hotsoxchick1

you go heather girl.....thanks for the 411 on who were getting.... seems to be decent enough... glad nardis not around to ruin his arm...lol.....ill have to keep my eyes open for this kid to hit the barons....see what hes made of....and i can take a message down to him when hes there, for ya if you want.... then ill know him too...........lol

No problem, hsc! I was absolutely elated when I first heard of this! The group of girls of which I used to eat dinner with all the time my freshman year and I would eat dinner with the baseball team sometime. Cotts sometime would be there with the team. He is a nice guy, fan-friendly.

Originally posted by HeatherTheRedbird

No problem, hsc!  I was absolutely elated when I first heard of this!  The group of girls of which I used to eat dinner with all the time my freshman year and I would eat dinner with the baseball team sometime.  Cotts sometime would be there with the team.  He is a nice guy, fan-friendly.

Thanks for the report and update. I don't want to imply that I have all kinds of "inside" sources because that's not true but I've learned that Cotts has kicked the velocity up a few mph on his fastball since turning pro. Most prospects don't pan out but after researching Cotts I'm a "little" less peeved about losing Valentine. By the way Heather do you know where Cotts played his HS baseball?

neil cotts vrs. joe valentine..

cotts..age 22...low level A ball...12-6 with a 4.12 era and 183 k's in 127 ip..

valentine...age 22...AA ball...4 -1 with a 1.97 era and 36 saves...minor league relief pitcher of the year..

paint it anyway you want guys....valentine is the much better prospect..both the same age..valentine is two classifications higher up and he was much more sucessful...valentine (barring injury) will pitch in the majors someday...

AA ball is the weeding out league..if you make it in AA ball its almost gaurenteed you will atleast get a shot in the bigs...cant say what valentine will do with it but he will get his shot...in low A ball where cotts is at..i would guess about 25% actually get to the majors...

Originally posted by Molto

you are forgetting the second player and the fact that Cotts is a lefty starter while Valentine is a righty closer. 

we still have to wait for both guys to be announced. 

whoever the other guy is wont be a top prospect because of the rule 5 draft which he could be involved in and then it would have to be somebody else...right??...so whoever the other player is will be compared to mark johnson...and then you compare koch to foulke...so do we really need to wait..it will probably be some guy from class A compared to a major league catcher...albeit not a top catcher

I'll just wait and see.

I think Valentine is a good prospect and you can't compare Cotts to him. Cotts seems like he could be real good too, but being he's only in A ball its a lot harder to judge him.

Lets see what he can do in AA this year, thats more of a stepping stone and a sign of whether he's a true prospect or not. I tend to think he is, but theirs a lot to see.