college football no trash zone

cwsox

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's some new rule changes for 2003.

Rule Changes

Two for the better. The halo rule on punts has been eliminated. Now punt returners have to call a fair catch to avoid contact. Also, an unsportsmanlike penalty after a touchdown will now be enforced on the kickoff rather than the extra point.

Good to see that halo rule is gone. If you don't wanna get slammed call a fair catch. And it does make more sense to penalize the kickoff rather than the xtra pt.

I can keep an update on the Illini and ND regularly

ND has a brutal schedule this year, and they must get that offense clicking more than it was last year. The pass game has to pick up. With Julius Jones back to go along with Grant and Powers-Neal, the run game should be solid. Losing Battle will hurt the pass game, but Holiday hopefully has a better grasp of the offense at this point and can find the short routes and tight ends and such

Love to talk college football with all you guys during the season

Just got my Illini/Missouri tickets in the mail yesterday, i'm hyped to go already.

I like so many people responding that they will update!

I can pin the college football updates so we can stay on top of the reports on various teams, conferances, deep thoughts and observations, etc., and all I ask is that for the trash talk bashing, we keep that in separate threads so we don't get way-laid in the news/info thread.

I think it will fun for all of us who follow NCAA football!

cwsox -

Do you want to keep one continuous thread going, or start a new one for each week?

On another note, i heard a report this morning that said of the stuff stolen from Clarett's car, there were 300 CD's. 300. OSU sure hooked him up with a lot of stuff in that car. It'll be hard to win the Heisman while suspended.

OSU is doing the right thing from their perspective, because if they dont' suspend him now and this stuff comes out later, he may miss games during the season (assuming this all clears up soon)

I saw CBS had Auburn at #2 in their poll.  I still gotta cheer for Colorado.  Knock it down right cw. ;)

Auburn will be stellar. Cadilliac Williams is back for another year, and they only lost three starters on defense.

Auburn will be stellar. Cadilliac Williams is back for another year, and they only lost three starters on defense.

They have 3 excellent running backs back there and a few good wideouts. That team is going to surprise a lot of people who aren't paying attention to them going into this year.

cwsox -

Do you want to keep one continuous thread going, or start a new one for each week?

On another note, i heard a report this morning that said of the stuff stolen from Clarett's car, there were 300 CD's. 300. OSU sure hooked him up with a lot of stuff in that car. It'll be hard to win the Heisman while suspended.

OSU is doing the right thing from their perspective, because if they dont' suspend him now and this stuff comes out later, he may miss games during the season (assuming this all clears up soon)

qood question, whatever everyone wants will be fine by me

and we can have a separte "trash talk" week by week for the alll the :fyou s people will want to post prior to certain games!

I did your pm ,read it, apreciated it, and have been too busy to answer yet but this weekend I will, my apologies - we are down 1 staff person in the office and I have just swamped with stuff and when I get home not much time sometimes to dio the things I want before I crash out

I did not know the Clarett story - intersting - sounds like when our basketball team had the car flip over and people said where did a student get a car like that -

cwsox - not a huge deal about the PM. i was just wondering if you got it or what not. reply if you want and on your own time, no problems there -

about clarett, here's a story on espn.com:

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State tailback Maurice Clarett admitted exaggerating the value of items he reported stolen from a car he was driving and will be kept from preseason practice while the NCAA investigates.

In a statement released from the school Wednesday, athletic director Andy Geiger and coach Jim Tressel said Clarett wouldn't participate in camp until "all issues related to his eligibility regarding his amateur status have been resolved."

The NCAA is investigating a police report filed by Clarett claiming cash and thousands of dollars of stereo equipment owned by him were stolen from the car.

The release from the school included an apology from Clarett and a statement from Clarett's attorney, Scott Schiff, who said the car was borrowed and that many of the items belonged to the vehicle's owner.

"Maurice did exaggerate and inflate the values he placed upon the reported items," Schiff said.

Schiff said Clarett used the car to attend a workout on April 17, when the vehicle was broken into. Maurice filed a theft report with campus police.

According to the police report, two built-in television monitors and stereo equipment worth $5,000, $800 in cash, $300 in clothing and 300 compact discs were stolen. The property wasn't found, and police have closed the case.

"I genuinely and sincerely apologize to my teammates and to The Ohio State University for any embarrassment this incident may have caused," Clarett said in the statement.

The license plate on the car is registered to The Car Store Inc., a small dealership on the city's north side, according to the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles. It was not clear who owned the vehicle then. Messages were left by telephone and at the dealership for owner Jacob Chapa.

Despite numerous injuries last season, Clarett set school freshman records with 1,237 yards rushing and 16 touchdowns. The Buckeyes, the defending national champions, open the season Aug. 30 at home against Washington.

Clarett has been under investigation by the NCAA in recent weeks, and the April police report was the subject of meetings NCAA officials had with Clarett earlier this month, Geiger said.

The stolen property is just part of the investigation, Geiger added.

The NCAA won't comment on pending investigations.

However, NCAA infractions committee chairman Thomas Yeager said athletes are ineligible whenever they receive a benefit unavailable to other students.

"If it's something like a student athlete driving a booster's car or coaches' or agents' cars, generally the rule is you're not driving other people's cars," he said. "If any student at the university could walk into a dealership and get a free weekend test drive then that kind of thing would be permissible."

This right on the heels of the academic problem he was/is facing. This isn't good news for Buckeye fans at this point. Also, if you are Maurice, why in the hell would you report something like that to the police (unless it's yours of course bought with your own money). If he knows that stuff was bought for him (how was it not), why would you open the door to all this stuff? Am i missing something here?

If you can get enough of the members interested, why not create a seperate forum for "other sports"? That would allow bull fans, hawk fans, bear fans, and college sport fans to view threads without having to sift through all the other off topic discussions. If fantasy sports was important enough for another forum, "other sports" definately would be. This thread has 40 responses already, which is proof there is interest. Lets do something WSI hasnt done yet. :headbang

I can pin the college football updates so we can stay on top of the reports on various teams, conferances, deep thoughts and observations, etc., and all I ask is that for the trash talk bashing, we keep that in separate threads so we don't get way-laid in the news/info thread.

Cw through are previous talk you like Mich and I like Illini and are both fans of the big ten but, I follow all conferences and matchups look forward in talking some college football with you and other interested parties...PS I hate the ND they were scared to come to the big ten because there ass would be lucky to finish .500 every year and not play Navy and other weak ass teams every year.

Can we get a moderator on this maybe? It seems like a good idea

you already have one on this!!!!!!!! -

I will be talking with all the powers that be on these things - I am in ym own mind unsure of having a forum to discuss other pro teams since they have their own boards already, such as the Hawks board on which Heather is a mod - and don't want to compete with that - but I bet most college teams do not -

I have the official request half written for separate "other sports" section ike Muric'e Lounge of Love and the Contest Area - and between soxheads the ISU fan and my self we've got the mods covered - but if there are threads posted regarding other pro teams, well, why not? We do it here anyway.

So I have been intrigued by the response here, making notes, and will officially get a request in very soon - because I think it would be fun! I have learned a lot of things already about this season that I didn't know.

I will be talking with all the powers that be on these things - I am in ym own mind unsure of having a forum to discuss other pro teams since they have their own boards already, such as the Hawks board on which Heather is a mod - and don't want to compete with that - but I bet most college teams do not -

I have the official request half written for separate "other sports" section ike Muric'e Lounge of Love and the Contest Area - and between soxheads the ISU fan and my self we've got the mods covered - but if there are threads posted regarding other pro teams, well, why not?  We do it here anyway. 

So I have been intrigued by the response here, making notes, and will officially get a request in very soon - because I think it would be fun!  I have learned a lot of things already about this season that I didn't know.

:headbang Go for it!

I'd volunteer to watch over either an "other sports" forumn, or a "politics" forumn

my idea, I want to do it - you planning to shot me? :lol: :lol: :lol: If so, the line is forming on the far right.... But you have to shoot me to keep me from working on my own idea which is what this thread was originally floated for - thought soxheads wouyld be a natural since he is such a big college fan - didn't know you were- but I add your name to my conversations with Jas et. al. -

not sure we need a separate politics forum - if we sift everything out of offf topic, we'll have more forums than are workable and then we'll debates over whether something belongs here or there - the political threads all seem to be labeled clearly so people can avoid or jump in as they wish - just my personal thought

Cw through are previous talk you like Mich and I like Illini and are both fans of the big ten but, I follow all conferences and matchups look forward in talking some college football with you and other interested parties...PS I hate the ND they were scared to come to the big ten because there ass would be lucky to finish .500 every year and not play Navy and other weak ass teams every year.

Soxfest, pretty ignorant comment

We have one of the toughest schedules, as we do every single year. We play Navy every year, that's basically our only creampuff, sometimes Rutgers. Look at our schedule this year

The reason we aren't in the Big Ten isn't "afraid". It's money, plain and simple. WE have our own TV deal, we make bowls almost every year, why should we join the Big Ten and share all the money we make? It makes no sense. It's about money, not fear. Don't be so ignorant. Besides, we'd be one of the better teams in the Big Ten year in and year out, and our schedule this year is tougher than a regular big ten schedule...please buddy

I have the official request half written for separate "other sports" section ike Muric'e Lounge of Love and the Contest Area - and between soxheads the ISU fan and my self we've got the mods covered - but if there are threads posted regarding other pro teams, well, why not?  We do it here anyway. 

So I have been intrigued by the response here, making notes, and will officially get a request in very soon - because I think it would be fun!  I have learned a lot of things already about this season that I didn't know.

I didn't know who you needed to talk to to actually create the forum...i was thinking Jason or somebody. I'm excited for this new forum or what not, and it'd be fine with me if you are in charge.