Ricardo Nanita Story

winninguglyin83

found this one on a minor league baseball web site

Friday, August 01, 2003

By Joe Barbieri, SportsTicker Staff Writer

BOSTON (Ticker) -- Though he's only been playing for a little more than a month, Ricardo Nanita has become of the more recognizable names in the minors this season.

A 14th-round pick out of Florida International University this June, Nanita has hit the ground running in the rookie-level Pioneer League.

In his second game, he had three hits, including a homer, and two RBI in a 16-7 loss to the Billings Mustangs on June 18. Though not a noteworthy achievement at the time, it marked the beginning of what would become a league-record 30-game hitting streak.

On July 18, Nanita had three hits to extend the streak to 28 games, eclipsing K.C. Gillum's previous league mark of 27 straight games July 21-August 18, 1990.

Though the streak came to a halt on July 21, Nanita has not stopped making news.

On July 28, Nanita hit for the cycle in a 10-6 victory over the Helena Brewers. Completing the performance with a grand slam in the eighth inning, he became the second player in the league - and on his team - to pull off the feat.

The next night, Nanita hit another grand slam as part of his first professional two-homer game as the White Sox beat the Brewers, 12-6.

The native of Santo Domingo, however, has not stopped there either.

On July 31, Nanita singled in four at-bats to extend his streak of reaching base safely to 40 straight games. It is the longest such streak in a short-season league since Kevin Youkilis reached in 46 straight with the Lowell Spinners of the New York-Penn League in 2001.

Nanita, who hit .388 this spring as first-team All-South Central Region Team selection in his junior year, has made a seamless transition to pro ball. He was hitting .381 through July 31.

A bunch of "draft experts" said that Nanita could be one of the steals of the draft after the draft was over. I guess they were right, so far. I've been really high on this guy ever since we drafted him and I read scouting reports on him. How he fell to round 14? I have no idea.

A bunch of "draft experts" said that Nanita could be one of the steals of the draft after the draft was over.  I guess they were right, so far.  I've been really high on this guy ever since we drafted him and I read scouting reports on him.  How he fell to round 14?  I have no idea.

One of our writers thought the same thing.

These are the only comments I could find from BA in their draft preview on Nanita.

• Dominican OF Ricardo Nanita will need a visa to play pro ball in the U.S., possibly reducing his value. He's a center fielder who provides lefthanded pop and arm strength.