HAPPY BIRTHDAY BILLY PIERCE

StatManDu

We got Pierce in a trade with Tigers in 1949. We gave up a catcher named Aaron Robinson. Pierce weighed about 160 then and had a great fast ball. Al Lopez never pitched him in the 1959 World Series; that always miffed Pierce, but he got a chance in 1962 for the Giants in World Series and did well. Never understood Lopez, especially since he started Early Wynn in Game 6 on 2 days rest, and the Dodgers hit him hard. Series over. I met Wynn in the 1980's and mentioned that; he didn't get it either.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 06:47 AM)
I was at his 8 2/3 perfect game-and that ball was foul

Really? Never heard that. I listened to the game on radio, still remember it well. Ed Fitzgerald got the hit, then Pierce struck out Albie Pearson to end the game.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 09:17 AM)
Really? Never heard that. I listened to the game on radio, still remember it well. Ed Fitzgerald got the hit, then Pierce struck out Albie Pearson to end the game.

I was with my grandpa, sitting in upper deck just past 1st. You were close to field then and it looked foul to me. I just remember Billy standing on the mound with his hands on his hips after that hit. I recall while driving home, a record by Ella Fitzgerald came on the radio and my grandpa turned it off saying he "didn't want to hear the name Fitzgerald on the South Side tonight."