Need good reasons for optimism

SpringfieldFan

I really don't see how you can judge whether a team has heart or not unless you see a ton of blatant examples, or have frequent clubhouse access.  I don't think not hitting for a 2-3 game stretch qualifies.  As big a no-name as Shields is, he did have really good stuff yesterday.  I don't understand what people are referring to when they say no heart. 

Rowand's plays on Wed= no heart?

Everett's HR theft = no heart?

Buehrle's outing vs Oakland = no heart?

Frank's 8-hour at-bat before hr-ing to beat Twins= no heart?

Konerko somehow turning around a lost season = no heart?

Lee catching fly ball after falling on his ass= no heart?

Granted, I'm still not getting the playoff vibe from these guys, and I agree they're a pretty stupid team.  But no heart?  I don't agree with that.

Well maybe my definition of no heart is broader than yours. I think heart includes smarts, and all that. When i say heart, i guess i mean everything beyond talent, like chemistry, intelligence, effort, etc.

It's August 15th.

That's all I need to stay optimistic.

We were 7.5 games out at the break, now 15 days into August we're 2 back and we have the chance to really do some damage in Texas tonight as KC and Minny play one another.

There is still plenty of time left for this team to catch the Royals.

CWSOX45

How about taking a breath to regain the emotions they spent when moving from 7 1/2 games back to first? It's a long ride, folks. You have to expect some ups and downs. They weren't going to win 81 games in the secong half! But they can still win this division.

Forkit!

most sensible thing here - get in and then the team gets hot and gets lucky wins -

all the ecperts who tell us what this team can and cannot do as pure "fact" are the same ones who took Miami over Ohio State, took Yankees over Arizona, never had Anaheim, and took St Louis over New England.

Sorry, every one of those teams showed heart. This sox team shows NONE........and if you want facts, for every ONE of your teams above, there are hundreds just like them, who DONT do anything. Keep trying, maybe you will strike your one in a million some day.

I disagree. How do you go from 7.5 games back of the Royals and down to two games without showing heart?

This team has not given up on themselves like most of the fans on this site.

What about the three game set against the Twins? The Royals? The Cubs?

This team wants to win. We've seen it in the past, and we're going to see it again.

CWSOX45

I kind of think that the Sox start winning when they forget about always trying to do the "little things" that they aren't best suited for. Trying to hit to the opposite field when a pitcher is only throwing inside, sac bunting when the defense knows it's coming, etc. When the hitter are just going up there with nothing on their minds but hitting the ball hard anywhere, I really think they perform better. Obviously a trait of a less-than-genius-level team upstairs, however....

most sensible thing here - get in and then the team gets hot and gets lucky wins -

all the ecperts who tell us what this team can and cannot do as pure "fact" are the same ones who took Miami over Ohio State, took Yankees over Arizona, never had Anaheim, and took St Louis over New England.

Sorry, every one of those teams showed heart. This sox team shows NONE........and if you want facts, for every ONE of your teams above, there are hundreds just like them, who DONT do anything. Keep trying, maybe you will strike your one in a million some day.

I disagree. How do you go from 7.5 games back of the Royals and down to two games without showing heart?

This team wants to win. We've seen it in the past, and we're going to see it again.

CWSOX45

Dude i havent given up. In fact i think the sox may just take the division. My point is, i dont see that they have what it takes to get past the 1st round of the playoffs.

CWSOX45

Dude i havent given up. In fact i think the sox may just take the division. My point is, i dont see that they have what it takes to get past the 1st round of the playoffs.

Anything can happen in the playoffs.

My point is this team has heart, and if we get into the playoffs anything can happen. ANYTHING.

CWSOX45

CWSOX45

Anything can happen in the playoffs.

My point is this team has heart, and if we get into the playoffs anything can happen. ANYTHING.

CWSOX45

The team has zero heart and im sorry to say, that will become quite evident to you, as it it to me, in a short period.

CWSox (and Forkit)

I tip my hat to your level headed thinking, optimism, and the way you can enjoy the race. You have done well in making the case of why to be excited for the rest of the season. I really want to share your optimism, honestly, but for all the wisdom of what you have said, a couple of things do still nag at me. First, you accurately mention how well they have played and the guts they have shown to get back in the race. I agree that it has been quite an accomplishment, but in my mind it is not a precedent for success the rest of the way. I say that because for all the Sox have shown us these last few weeks, it has not included passing the tests they will have to pass in the future: winning out west and winning against contenders on the road. That is what will face them squarely down the stretch and especially in the playoffs. I can enjoy being in a race, and cheer and root enthusiastically, but those nagging doubts in the back of my head remain. I guess we just have to take it one game at a time, having faith they will accomplish things that may surprise us as these weeks play out.

Thanks for the "chin-up", folks ;)

CWSox (and Forkit)

I tip my hat to your level headed thinking, optimism, and the way you can enjoy the race.  You have done well in making the case of why to be excited for the rest of the season.  I really want to share your optimism, honestly, but for all the wisdom of what you have said, a couple of things do still nag at me.  First, you accurately mention how well they have played and the guts they have shown to get back in the race. I agree that it has been quite an accomplishment, but in my mind it is not a precedent for success the rest of the way.  I say that because for all the Sox have shown us these last few weeks, it has not included passing the tests they will have to pass in the future: winning out west and winning against contenders on the road.  That is what will face them squarely down the stretch and especially in the playoffs.  I can enjoy being in a race, and cheer and root enthusiastically, but those nagging doubts in the back of my head remain.  I guess we just have to take it one game at a time, having faith they will accomplish things that may surprise us as these weeks play out.

Thanks for the "chin-up", folks  ;)

Ahhhh a realist. Thank you. :)

BMR, I'm quite the realist. I know I can't predict the future. IF they get to the playoffs, we'll hope they surprise you with inspired play. IF they don't, you'll have to stand in line behind me to b**** and moan about the uninspired play during the stretch run...

Forkit!

I'll say this much about this team: The past two years, at this point in the season we were out of it, dead, done, toast, history, whatever. This year we are very much in the thick of it. Whether we win it or not, this is so much better than we've seen recently. I don't really care what the naysayers think or say, I'm going to stay behind this team until it is blatantly obvious that they have no chance whatsoever to win it. Till then, GO WHITE SOX!!!!

Peoples, we have too many games left to give up please, yeh we suck, but maybe the Royals and Twinkies might end up suckign mroe, you never know. You guys need to take a chill pill and notice we have a month and two weeks more of fuking baseball!

And don't worry the Bears will start off 0-4

Plus...is it me? Or did JM just try to put his foot up Frank's behind over swinging for the fences? Maybe no one threw at Frank's head last night, but perhaps Manual went for his head in the Trib's headlines...

JM, play him at first tonight. He'll go 3 for 4 and we'll score 10 runs.

If you let him sit on the bench and steam all game, he'll continue to out-think himself.

Remember...we didn't lose any ground last night. It's the same race today as it was yesterday. This is gonna be a long drawn out race down to the wire.

Forkit!