Windows 8

kapkomet

Can you guys give some feedback on Windows 8 outside of the tech thread and put it here?

Since I am starting a new job, I will probably get a new laptop so I am going to shy away from Windows 8 unless you all think it's worth the upgrade. I can't see it - especially for a business client in mind.

For those of you who get it... let me know!

Thanks!

Going to have to get a new desktop for work, so I'll get to try it out sometime this week.

I was really surprised that cell phone-wise, they're retiring WP7 in favor of WP8 so soon. WP7 users won't be able to upgrade, either. WP7 isn't/wasn't exactly popular in a world where it's either Android or iOS, but it is/was a damn good OS. Same goes for Window 6.5.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Nov 4, 2012 -> 05:03 PM)
Going to have to get a new desktop for work, so I'll get to try it out sometime this week.

I was really surprised that cell phone-wise, they're retiring WP7 in favor of WP8 so soon. WP7 users won't be able to upgrade, either. WP7 isn't/wasn't exactly popular in a world where it's either Android or iOS, but it is/was a damn good OS. Same goes for Window 6.5.

WP7 wasn't a finished OS. No SMP support, low screen resolutions. It had the makings of a mobile OS from 3 years ago. WP8 is a big improvement in the hardware department.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Nov 3, 2012 -> 08:46 PM)
Can you guys give some feedback on Windows 8 outside of the tech thread and put it here?

Since I am starting a new job, I will probably get a new laptop so I am going to shy away from Windows 8 unless you all think it's worth the upgrade. I can't see it - especially for a business client in mind.

For those of you who get it... let me know!

Thanks!

Been using it for a while -- with a touchscreen, it's a great OS. Without it, it's really not. It works, and it does everything it's supposed to do, but just not as intuitive with a mouse/keyboard as the old start bar was. It's not meant for a desktop that doesn't have touch. For the short term, this is a bad idea...but long term, which I have to believe is Microsofts vision, ALL screens will eventually be touchscreen, and when that happens, this will work very well. It will have short term growing pains, however, as it does NOT work the same, and I often find it infuriating to do what should be simple things. Again, if the monitor was touch based, it would be simple. But with a mouse, it's not the same.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Nov 4, 2012 -> 08:31 PM)
Been using it for a while -- with a touchscreen, it's a great OS. Without it, it's really not. It works, and it does everything it's supposed to do, but just not as intuitive with a mouse/keyboard as the old start bar was. It's not meant for a desktop that doesn't have touch. For the short term, this is a bad idea...but long term, which I have to believe is Microsofts vision, ALL screens will eventually be touchscreen, and when that happens, this will work very well. It will have short term growing pains, however, as it does NOT work the same, and I often find it infuriating to do what should be simple things. Again, if the monitor was touch based, it would be simple. But with a mouse, it's not the same.

But tell me how it is as just a touchscreen, then tell me how it is with a mouse, then just touchscreen, then with a mouse and keyboard. :lol:

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Nov 4, 2012 -> 07:31 PM)

^^ This has been my experience with it as well. Although, I am getting used to using it with a mouse. It is difficult to get going at first because there is nothing that gives you visual cues as to what you can use. In order to get to different things, you have to hover your mouse over a location for the hidden menu to pop up. Once you know it is there, that's fine, but nothing tells you that there is a hidden menu when you put your mouse in X location at first.